Coopers Community

Anyone buy a Guten?

Fergy1987

@Fergy1987

7 hours ago, Fergy1987 said:

20200919_122210.jpg

I'm by no means an expert on no-chilling wort as I don't use the practice myself, but am familiar with the process. Your picture there clearly shows air space between the top of the cube & the wort. I hope after this pic was taken, you removed the cap & squeezed the airspace out of the cube & resealed the lid.

If you haven't, it's a bacterial spoilage/wild yeast infection just waiting to happen before you even pitch your own desired yeast on it.

If my info is incorrect, I'm fine with being corrected here by the "wort storage brigade". 😜

Just my 20 cents,

Lusty.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

@Fergy1987

I'm by no means an expert on no-chilling wort as I don't use the practice myself, but am familiar with the process. Your picture there clearly shows air space between the top of the cube & the wort. I hope after this pic was taken, you removed the cap & squeezed the airspace out of the cube & resealed the lid.

If you haven't, it's a bacterial spoilage/wild yeast infection just waiting to happen before you even pitch your own desired yeast on it.

If my info is incorrect, I'm fine with being corrected here by the "wort storage brigade". 😜

Just my 20 cents,

Lusty.

Sometimes it happens. Especially when you are short in volume.

Provided it isn’t being stored for a long period it will be fine.

Wait until it cools and then ferment it.

• Like 1

Yeah iv done a few that turned out around that volume just shy of the full mark, my theory is that if the equipment is clean and if the yeast can survive a 100 degree Celsius wort to start fermenting and spoil it, it deserves the win 😛. Can always lay it on the side so the whole container has had contact with the hot wort if you are really worried about it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fergy1987 said:

Well now I'm worried my cube isn't full enough. I tipped it on the side when I filled it to get the hot wort to touch all surfaces. And I'll be fermenting it today. Hopefully all goes alright. 

It will be fine.

18 minutes ago, Hairy said:

It will be fine.

Well I just chucked it in the fermenter, and had a little taste. Seems to taste alright so I'm running with it.

In my brewing panic yesterday I also took no readings for OG. If I take a hydrometer reading before the yeast goes in would that be the same as what the OG would have been after boil? I've missed my expected OG by 10 points from 1.055 expected to 1.045 actual. Oh well whatever if it makes beer that's all I care about.

Edited by Fergy1987

On 6/15/2020 at 9:02 AM, Aussiekraut said:

I do run the Guten at 2200W, not on full power. I'm not even sure full power is possible. 240V on a 10A circuit allows for 2400W, so 2500W might be a little more it can handle. and I have a Bluetooth sound bar attached to the same outlet. So the lower power setting makes things a little slower when heating up but I don't think it makes more than 5-10 minutes overall. 

ive been thinking ahead and have noticed the 35 litre digiboils appearing on the radar a few times by now, from what im led to believe they are fine to plug into regular domestic power outputs yeah. im curious if these gutens can also be run of standard domestic power output ? would it mean i have to run them on a low heat temp and therefore take a longer period of time to perform the brewing process maybe ?

my little flat has what seems to be 2 x 5 amp circuits, i have run pretty big loads on them before so im kind of assuming that if on brew day i dont have a million other devices plugged in and running then it shouldnt be too much trouble ?

if you have any deeper understanding of this kind of thing i would love any advice you may be able to offer yeah ? if your not %100 on this kind of stuff its all good, just sounds like you may know about the basics so i thought it wouldnt hurt to ask 😉

On 9/19/2020 at 9:14 AM, Fergy1987 said:

Well things are not going exactly to plann. I think I've got the wrong length overflow pipe, My silicon hose is not long enough. I tried to move the pump hose and liquid went everywhere lol.....fun times. But I've currently got 24 mins of mash left, hops are measured out, sparge water is ready. We are slowly getting there.

I'm not quite sure where the silicone hose comes in when you are still in the middle of the mash. Can you elaborate on that? Maybe I am just missing something here.

47 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I'm not quite sure where the silicone hose comes in when you are still in the middle of the mash. Can you elaborate on that? Maybe I am just missing something here.

Oh I cut some silicon hose to add to the pump tube just to bring the recirculation closer to the top of the mash rather than having it splash in during the mash. Just cut it way too short.

21 minutes ago, Fergy1987 said:

Oh I cut some silicon hose to add to the pump tube just to bring the recirculation closer to the top of the mash rather than having it splash in during the mash. Just cut it way too short.

So you don't stick the tap through the lid? I usually do 25-26l mashes and there is nothing splashing. Depending on the grain used and how much flow I let through the tap, the recirc liquid doesn't even see the light of day but generally, there is hardly ever more than maybe 1.5cm drop out of the tap, too little to splash.

@Fergy1987

My apologies, I didn't mean to send you into a panic. I was just concerned on how long you may have been storing it for before fermenting it with that airspace at the top.

21 hours ago, Smashed Crabs said:

...my theory is that if the equipment is clean and if the yeast can survive a 100 degree Celsius wort to start fermenting and spoil it, it deserves the win 😛

Wild yeast & bacteria aren't a problem at 100°C, it's after it cools down to under approx. 40°C that you could create a problem.

Best of luck with the ferment Fergy. 👍

Cheers,

Lusty.

3 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Wild yeast & bacteria aren't a problem at 100°C, it's after it cools down to under approx. 40°C that you could create a problem

Confused to as when these new wild yeast and bacteria are introduced once the 100 degree wort as had contact with 100% of the sealed surface? do they reform at 40 degrees in the container ? Need to get some of this Terminator yeast!

Edited by Smashed Crabs
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, King Ruddager said:

They all have an air bubble - it wouldn’t be possible to squeeze it all out, you just fill it as much as you can and do your best.

@Fergy1987‘s looks about as full as the old style commercial ones from the All Inn Brewing Company. Glad you didn’t re-open and try squeezing again 🤦‍♂️

100%

Storm in a tea cup

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 7:48 PM, Beerlust said:

@Fergy1987

Just my 20 cents,

Lusty.

Just for the record, my comments here were merely to highlight a "potential" spoilage issue that may have occurred with a man's FIRST All Grain brew. Having recently moved over into this space myself I respect & understand the time necessary to make a brew in this space & didn't wish Fergy's first brew to end up spoiled by potentially making a small mistake at the end of his processes.

I encouraged comments by those more learned than myself with no-chill processes to put Fergy's mind at ease, & what I copped was mainly criticism for that.

Shame on those that commented as such, & maybe look beyond yourselves & your "Me, me, me" attitudes & approaches. If you really want to help then offer the advice when it is asked for, not denigrate those that at least take the time to attempt to help.

I don't claim to have all the absolute correct answers for everything in brewing all the time, but I do at least make the effort to ALWAYS offer my best knowledge to those that are looking for solutions to problems with their brewing.

Lusty.

8 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Just for the record, my comments here were merely to highlight a "potential" spoilage issue that may have occurred with a man's FIRST All Grain brew. Having recently moved over into this space myself I respect & understand the time necessary to make a brew in this space & didn't wish Fergy's first brew to end up spoiled by potentially making a small mistake at the end of his processes.

I encouraged comments by those more learned than myself with no-chill processes to put Fergy's mind at ease, & what I copped was mainly criticism for that.

Shame on those that commented as such, & maybe look beyond yourselves & your "Me, me, me" attitudes & approaches. If you really want to help then offer the advice when it is asked for, not denigrate those that at least take the time to attempt to help.

I don't claim to have all the absolute correct answers for everything in brewing all the time, but I do at least make the effort to ALWAYS offer my best knowledge to those that are looking for solutions to problems with their brewing.

Lusty.

Lusty, I think the problem is that most people here know your stance on no-chilling and to be honest, your post sounded a bit like a barb in that direction by pointing out one of your problems with no-chilling. I think some of the reactions you got were more like "here we go again". You are a very experienced brewer and your knowledge is very welcome (although it is good to see you actually having to ask questions, since going AG 🙂), but you are also very passionate about no-chilling.

I used to no-chill for for many months and was ok with it. I had my reasons to do so and never had any issues with it, no infections, nothing. Although I can only speak for myself of course. I have streamlined my brew days enough to be able to re-think my chilling strategy and am now chilling and have my reasons for it. But both methods have their pros and cons and at the end of the day, it's everybody's choice what they do. I don't en- or discourage either method as it is an individual choice. Let's just leave it at that.

Happy brewing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Lusty, I think the problem is that most people here know your stance on no-chilling...

There was a point in time on the forum where every new brewer making the move to All Grain brewing & asking questions about it was being led down the no-chill path, as a large percentage of the AG brewers on the forum are no-chillers. The option of rapidly chilling wort post boil wasn't even being mentioned as an option. At the time I felt that was more than a little biased, & so began making comments about the options of rapidly chilling wort to even the discussion & make those brewers aware of that option as no-one else seemed to be. I made a few jibes & stirred the pot at some of the no-chillers because I felt they needed to be a little more open-minded & objective. Now I'm seen as a no-chill hater or something, that I find hilarious.

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

...your post sounded a bit like a barb in that direction by pointing out one of your problems with no-chilling. I think some of the reactions you got were more like "here we go again".

It's understandable. It's also interesting that if you have a preconceived view of someone or something, how differently text can be interpreted.

Apart from that, no problems with anything you said.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.