Coopers Community

Recipies of the month

Paddybrew

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I just had a squiz at the new ROTM & CROTM recipes for this month. I'm a Pale Ale & hop nut, so both of these recipes appeal to me.

They will both make terrific beers in ends of the style.

I mainly wanted to speak about the full volume recipe. I've made numerous comments on the forum often being critical of the use of the Mexican Cerveza kit to use as a base for these styles of beer as a general rule. The DIY team have done a great job here with this recipe to utilise the slightly lower bitterness level of the Cerveza kit in preference to the AUS Pale Ale kit to introduce the resiny character of Bravo through a decent boil period, without making the final beer excessively bitter.

No flameout addition or hop tea either as it is likely unnecessary, & the lovely aromatic hops to finish it off through a dry hop.

For the full volume brewers, I would urge those interested to purchase this recipe pack as you will learn a lot from it on how & where certain hops & their specific characteristics impact best in certain beer styles.

Bravo is a personal favourite hop of mine so to see how the resiny character is pushed into the flavours through the 30min boil allowed by the use of the lower IBU kit is nice & clever by the DIY team. 👍

Those that snap this ROTM up will be very pleasantly surprised by the flavours & aromas of the final beer.

The two recipes deserve something a bit more than the average praise...

RuddyThumbsUp.gif

😄

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/12/2019 at 6:58 PM, Mikes15 said:

Turbo Charged American Pale Ale

Can we call a spade a spade & say this is a Panhead Supercharger clone?

I really hope so as its a freakin awesome beer!

On 11/14/2019 at 11:54 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

wort hog also encroaches on the trademark of another famous beer

Clever marketing, & just a question of whether you pick up the naming inferences. The recipes are not identical either, so very little for the commercial breweries in question to attack.

If anything, Coopers highlighting certain links to competitor beers, probably helps send extra sales their way they may well have never received (IMHO), so I'm guessing they are probably more thankful, than resentful. 😉

I don't see Lion or CUB openly promoting any other craft beers outside their own portfolios.

Cheers,

Lusty.

On 11/20/2019 at 4:38 PM, Mikes15 said:

Right, going to have a go at a "turbo charged' 😜

LHBS doesn't have Bravo Hops so in place Im planning to use "Azacca", seems to list similar tones & acid (prob not relevant as DH)

https://thebrewhouse.co.nz/beer/azacca

Although Azacca is reportedly a very nice hop, it will not create the same profile as Bravo will in this case as it's being boiled for a lengthy period to bring out an earthy/resiny trait.

Cheers & best of luck with the brew,

Lusty.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:27 PM, Beerlust said:

Although Azacca is reportedly a very nice hop, it will not create the same profile as Bravo will in this case as it's being boiled for a lengthy period to bring out an earthy/resiny trait.

Cheers & best of luck with the brew,

Lusty.

Cheers fella.

LHBS suggested to match the profile of Bravo to use a blend of,
Pacific Gem,
Centennial,
Amarillo
Simcoe

This is the combo they use for their pan head clone.

As its only a 25g boil might get 10g of each, chuck 7g in the boil & the other 3g in with the DH.

Hi Mike.

10 hours ago, Mikes15 said:

Cheers fella.

LHBS suggested to match the profile of Bravo to use a blend of,
Pacific Gem,
Centennial,
Amarillo
Simcoe

This is the combo they use for their pan head clone.

As its only a 25g boil might get 10g of each, chuck 7g in the boil & the other 3g in with the DH.

Your LHBS guy is looking to make some cash from you mate! LOL

Save yourself some dough & if you can, try & get hold of some Falconer's Flight hops. If you haven't used this before it is a terrific blend of a number of the very popular hops from the Northwest of USA. I've used Falconer's Flight hops a number of times & it will make a really good substitute for the Bravo here in this instance & save you a small fortune on having to buy 4 different varieties separately as advised by your LHBS guy.

Just my 20 cents,

Lusty.

Chur bro,

https://thebrewhouse.co.nz/beer/falconers-flight

Only available in 100g = $8

Pacific Gem 10g + Centennial 10g + Amarillo + Simcoe 10g =
0.88 + 1.54 + 1.54 + 1.43 = $5.39

So dont think its quite fair to say he's trying to make cash in the way implied, though as they say, every penny counts.

Since I'm ordering for a mate who's doing a beer o clock session IPA that uses 25g of bravo for a 10min boil I will take your advice on the falconers flight though, sounds like a new favourite hop!

Edited by Mikes15

9 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Who sells hops in 10g amounts anyway?

I have to get some of this falconers flight next hop order. It sounds pretty nice. 

most in Nz sell the majority of hops down to 10g amounts, not falconers flight though but thats ok as it sound awesome so Ill be sure to find a use for the rest soon enough.