Coopers Community

Kombucha

Paddybrew

I’ve been doing it the past few years but only recently have been adding some flavour to it whilst secondary fermenting

Any of you keen beer brewers brew the kombucha

I can’t get over the cost of a little bottle of it in the stores when you realise how cheap and easy it is to do it yourself

Hi paddy brew. I also kombucha. I have added ginger and lemon juice to a bottle afterwards for a flavor like the commercial examples.

With yours, do you carbonate it? I've tried to carbonate in a bottle bit of isn't yeast, so doesn't carbonate like a beer. I like it fizzy like the commercial bottles

Good to hear mate

I carbonate in the swing top bottles by storing them in the cupboard for two weeks after primary fermentation. They fizz up good and proper. I usually stick a flavoured tea bag in there whilst it secondary ferments

Hey Paddy

I for one am interested in your recipe and how you do it. I don't drink soft drinks, ginger beer doesn't agree with my throat, and I have tried Kombucha a few times and didn't mind it. I would like to have a crack and present my family with a "healthy option" to cola.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Paddybrew, do you prime your swingtop bottles at bottling time? how much / how many vols you aim for?

Maybe I'm not priming enough. I want the fizz!

Scottie, you need to get your hands on a SCOBY first, then it's super easy. I follow this procedure: https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-kombucha-tea-at-home-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-173858

Hey Lusty

I would be more than happy to impart some wisdom on a forum that has given me so much

To start off you would need

A kombucha scoby (the culture blob) and start up juice (this can be store bought or if you get the scoby on gumtree, they will usually provide a cup of start up juice to kick the fermentation off)

1 x 3 litre jar

A few swing top bottles

Tea bags , sugar and water - I use regular black or green tea bags, regular white sugar and tap water (you will get the purists who say you should only use distilled water, organic tea bags and sugar cane that has been rolled on the thighs of virgins, but that’s a load of balls tbh)

On brew day put 6-8 black teabags or 10 green teabags into a pre-warmed jar. Fill 2/3rds of the way with boiling water, chuck in a cup of sugar and give a good stir with a wooden spoon (the culture is not a fan of metal, so best advised not to use)

Leave teabags in for half an hour then fish them out with wooden spoon. Leave the wort overnight and let cool. In the morning, add the culture, start up juice and top up with cold water. Place a sheet of kitchen roll over the top and secure with elastic band

Place in cupboard over 18 degrees so it can ferment

The final taste is more tart than sweet. If its sweet , it hasn’t finished fermenting as the culture eats the sugar.

Usually takes 2 weeks but all depends on ambient temp of where it is stored

Once its done, transfer to swing tops via a jug or funnel. This is where I add some ginger or even some fruit like strawberries. I also use some flavoured teabags. Im loving chai flavour at the mo, lemon ginger is also a good one.Leave to secondary ferment for about a week and you will get that lovely carbonation

I don’t prime secondary. If the swing top is closed tight and left in a cool place , it will carbonated nicely

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure about kegging. They don’t like metal and even though it’s the finished product you will be kegging, the baby Scooby is known to grow in the finished product. If it’s housed in a metal keg it may impart some off flavours due to the scoby touching the metal

• 3 weeks later...

Had a taste of my first home brewed Kombucha over the weekend. It's Gud!

I really enjoy the commercial examples that I find, but yes they are costly, given how easy they are to brew.

I enjoyed it straight out of the fermenter. I might bottle up a few tomorrow.

I followed the link posted by Joolbag. There is a link within that link for making a SCOBY or Mother. I made mine from a commercial example that I picked up from a local health food shop.

Whilst I was there, they had a hopped example. Not sure what hops were used but it was delicious.

Cheers,

Dave.

SCOBY soured ale?

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey guys,

Funnally on the scoby band wagon. Picked up one on Wednesday for $5 and have already made a tea to begin the brew. In about 5 days time I'll check it out to see if Scooby (I have named it) has finished off.

The Scooby is a big one, to big for the jar I am using. So from this one I'll see about making a daughter, to the become my new mother scoby.

Question, bottling, what do you guys use? Was thinking of getting some grolsch bottles? any other types that are easy to find?

Thank you

Gully

• 2 months later...
On 3/6/2018 at 9:52 PM, Paddybrew said:

sugar cane that has been rolled on the thighs of virgins,

Where is the manufacturing taking place? I would like to be getting the product from the source so I do'nt get ripped off and end up with low grade kombucha.  

The Mrs is right into Kombucha and she brews a great one at that! Her Kombucha making is what actually inspired to get into home brewing myself. She wrote up this guide about a year ago for her sister and it has since been shared around to other family and friends. I'm sure she won't mind if I post it up here. 

Enjoy

Kombucha Method and Tips.pdf

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...