Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a brighter note check my FV this evening after work and i'm not sure whats happened here, I did have to tighten up the top but was still under pressure from checking the prv with a quick pull, so I know it hasn't been exposed a part from a little dribble that has come out the top, but not through the prv though.

Should I be worried? the brew is only 23 liters, thats alot of foam.

IMG_20180529_175319.jpg

IMG_20180529_175300.jpg

IMG_20180529_175304.jpg

15 hours ago, tja1980 said:

IMG_20180529_175300.jpg

I didn't realise the fermentasaurus came with matching Elvis attire! ?

All that is missing on that rig now is a bit of external chest hair! ?

Cheers & good luck with the brew,

Lusty.

I'm down to one fermenter on the go now after bottling up my second runnings amber lager last night. I filled a 6 litre Tap-a-draft bottle and 4 x 330ml bottles then saved a bit over 750ml slurry for the next batch. So this was quite a small batch, but considering it is a bonus batch from second runnings that would have otherwise gone to waste (since I usually do a no sparge mash) I'm happy with it! It's tasting good too, with the Nelson dry hop a nice addition.

Just need to get the Doppelbock packaged up after a few more days of conditioning, then I can brew my Mosaic rye lager. The doppelbock will be going into half litre bottles after all, since I failed miserably at my mission of emptying some 330ml bottles. I drank some Coopers Session Ale cans and a couple of Morris Reds instead ?

I don't know what my German ancestors would have normally drunk their doppelbock from, but a half litre stein is sounding good to me!

Cheers, 

John

4 hours ago, Beerlust said:

It looks like you've done a nice job of the partigyling John. Did you take a gravity reading of the second runnings used for the amber lager? 

Well done! ☺️

Cheers,

Lusty.

The pre-boil gravity of the second runnings beer was 1.041 (it ended up at 1.050 post-boil). This high number was due to additional extract occurring during the extended mash while the main batch was being boiled (and a little bit of extra pils malt helped). I was predicting a second runnings gravity of 1.034, forgetting that a longer mash does increase extract up to a point.

Normally you would run off straight away, but since I was adding a little extra malt and don't have a second boil kettle I waited for the main 90 minute boil to complete and for that wort to go into the cube. In anticipation of this I ensured that the mash with top-up grain and sparge water added was at 66° C when the boil for the main batch began.

If I were to do it again I would probably do the main mash for 90 minutes so that more of the extract would go into that batch.

Cheers,

John

20 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I didn't realise the fermentasaurus came with matching Elvis attire! ?

All that is missing on that rig now is a bit of external chest hair! ?

Cheers & good luck with the brew,

Lusty.

I love how you can zip it open a little and show some brew cleavage.

The lager brew I put down yesterday appears to be up & fermenting, with a thin krausen atop the wort. I used a refrigerated 10L spring water as top up to help get the pitching temp down & was able to pitch the yeast @ approx. 15.5°C. I've just dropped the temp controller down to 14°C & will give it an hour or so at that temperature, then do the last stagger to 13°C where it will stay for the primary ferment.

The brew smelled really nice when mixing it all together yesterday & now it is just a question of how much the yeast impacts on those boil additions. When I brewed V.2 of this beer I bittered to approx. 27 IBU.  It was very smooth, but for this particular beer it needs to have a bit more bite so I have bittered this version to around 40 IBU to improve that aspect.

I found 27 IBU with a clean hop friendly ale yeast (like US-05) presents a more noticeable bitterness than the same IBU mark used with a more malt friendly lager yeast.

I'm hopeful for a very nice beer once all is said & done.

Cheers,

Lusty.

My London ESB yeast has terminated a little early for my liking, around the 1.016. Looks like its similar to Windsor and I'll need to watch my Mash temperature in the future or stick with Nottingham. For what it's worth I santised my mixing spoon, gave it a stir and increased the brew temperature to 23oC. StillI reckon it's done and other than buying some Nottingham tomorrow I'll have to live with the extra maltiness.  I can't really afford an extra week in the FV as I am running low.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew 

Dry hopping me Ale I've had sitting in Elvis for 7 days this morning ;D with 20g of Galaxy and 35g of Summer, only 8 more days to go before I can keg it >< and get the Pilsner on the go.

Tristan

Going to hopefully add isinglass to my lager tonight after I get back from the pub for a mate's 40th, and then add the polyclar either tomorrow or Tuesday. It's been sitting at 0°C since Friday after having the temp dropped on Wednesday. Took a day to get down to about 2 degrees but it always slows down the colder it gets.

I started a Dark Monk yesterday.

It was supposed to be done on Friday, but work got in the way, so the grains steeped a bit longer than they should.

Anyhow it's happily bubbling away at 19C in the fridge now.

Currently I have a brown porter and an American IPA that have been in the fermenter for 2 weeks now. Have been sitting at 18 deg for the 2 weeks. Got my son to up the temperature to 21 yesterday, so Im hoping this will finish them off nicely ready to keg up when i get home at the weekend.

Yes they probably were done a week ago, but my work schedule only allows 1 weekend home in 3. So just to be on the safe side i got the temperature raised a little to ensure they are done. 

Looks like the yeast is finishing up in Elvis with that Ale I've had going for the last two weeks, I'll take a reading tonight and see if its 1.009, add me fining and start chilling, the Ale does look nice and clear though :D.

Archived