Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2018

Otto Von Blotto

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If mine went in the fermenter that quickly I wouldn't worry about it either (I no chill yeast starters and pitch as soon as it's at an acceptable temp for example), but they often sit there for weeks before being fermented so it's important to minimise headspace as much as I can. I usually still have some air in it because it's a pain in the arse trying to get the wort into the handle without spilling it, but it hasn't caused any problems.

FV#1 is finishing up an improv Aus/US Hop Slam IPA (using Topaz and Ekuanot and finally some CCA). About to be bottled.

FV#2 got filled with a Shark Attack XPA yesterday after a pretty cruisey brew session over lunch. Looking foward to seeing how this one turns out as I bought enough ingredients for 2 batches on a whim.

Next up I'm branching out into Belgium and White IPA territory (which I also bought 2x ingredients).

Mixing this up with another Hop Slam and Kilted IPA before I need to buy anything more.

Maybe I'll have to crack out FV#3?

blinky the simpsons GIF

Gonna have some stock come Xmas!!!

Thanks mate. Under a month to go now. I have a yeast starter spinning up for the pale ale, it'll be turned off tonight then re stirred and harvested Tuesday, pitched Wednesday after a day chilling in the fridge. Should be enough time to ferment, cold crash and get it in a keg before the move. 

Put down an extract Robust Bavarian Lager today.

• 1.7kg Black Rock Export Pilsner
  • 1.5kg Briess Munich Malt Extract
  • 500g Light Dry Malt
  • 25g Magnum 20 minute boil with the LDM in 4L
  • 25g Saaz 20 minute steep

Made to 21L

OG 1.052

In temp controlled freezer at 12 degrees

Beer Essentials recipe from Australian Home Brewing in Oakleigh South.

Bottled me root beer today 3 weeks aging after I racked it off back in beginning of October my god does it smell great and is quit clear, Wednesday next week will cold crash me Short Circuited Mosaic Ale and then into the Keg with some corn sugar to naturally carb up, then first No Rules Pale Ale all grain will go down 😄

Was hoping to get a Best Bitter based off a London Pride recipe I've been playing with in before Christmas so could have 3 beers on tap 😄 for the holidays.

Tristan

23 hours ago, tja1980 said:

Bottled me root beer today 3 weeks aging after I racked it off back in beginning of October my god does it smell great and is quit clear, Wednesday next week will cold crash me Short Circuited Mosaic Ale and then into the Keg with some corn sugar to naturally carb up, then first No Rules Pale Ale all grain will go down 😄

Was hoping to get a Best Bitter based off a London Pride recipe I've been playing with in before Christmas so could have 3 beers on tap 😄 for the holidays.

Tristan

I'm just coming to the end of my root beer stocks and damn it was delicious! Wish my LHBS stocked it so I could make more.

This afternoon when I get home from work the Short Circuited Mosaic Pale Ale I'll be starting to cold crash to naturally carbonate in the keg it this weekend, and then kick off the No Rules Pale Ale 😄

Picking up me Kegerator this weekend which leaves me with a 2nd brew fridge until me stock is replenished for a few weeks, so thinking I could pop a brew into it 😛

Tristan

Started cold crashing the Short Circuited Mosaic Pale Ale after I got home from work.

Was hoping to drop by Brewmart and pickup the kegerator tonight 😜 but did a bit of overtime 😞, guess I'll just watch the cricket with a few coops pales 🙂

Tristan

i placed this in the FV yesterday:

10.5 lt Total

Batch #8 - Canadian Clubb

Coopers Canadian Blonde Can

200g crystal malt (Steeped for 30 Mins)

30g Galaxy Hops 14.8% @ 25 Mins in boiling water

will Dry Hop Galaxy 30g on day 5

US 05 Yeast rehydrated

Original Gravity - 1.045

Put my Motueka pale ale into the fermenter today. I put the cube into the brew fridge when I went to bed last night at like 2am (day off today), and took it out about 11am to sit on the kitchen bench and settle out again. It was quite cold at this point.

Around 12 or so I drained it into the fermenter and pitched the yeast, which had only just come out of the fridge. I'm guessing the wort was around 12-13 degrees at this stage as I just checked it and it's warmed up to nearly 18. I expect to see some activity tomorrow morning. 

This will be kegged in a bit over 2 weeks time, and will go on tap in the new place. Since the mini keg is out of action currently, it'll only go into a 19 litre keg so I wasn't too concerned with volume, filled it to about 22 litres or so, OG of 1.051. Loan approval came through today so we'll be moving in mid December as planned. 

Cheers

Kelsey

6 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Loan approval came through today so we'll be moving in mid December as planned. 

Sorry Kelsey I've been off the forum for a wee bit. You guys bought a place?! Wow! That's awesome. Congrats. So very exciting that you get to set up your own brew room, exactly how you like it

1 hour ago, joolbag said:

Sorry Kelsey I've been off the forum for a wee bit. You guys bought a place?! Wow! That's awesome. Congrats. So very exciting that you get to set up your own brew room, exactly how you like it

Yeah, couple of weeks ago the contract was done, so we were just waiting to hear from the bank. Thanks mate! A bit earlier than planned but found a place we liked pretty quickly and weren't sure anything else would pop up if we waited so just went for it. Already scoped out my brew area and a spot for the keg fridge 😂 It has a pool too so I'm anticipating a few pool beers.

Archived