Coopers Community

I didn't realise Coopers supported the Australian Bible Society

King Ruddager

Maybe I'm gonna ruffle a few feathers here but I couldn't really care less about same sex marriage. To me its a non topic. You do what you want in life. Live in a heterosexual relationship. Defacto relationship. Same sex relationship. Whatever floats your boat. To me marriage doesn't define a relationship. If it needs to be "official" and people think that holds you together then sorry its not going to. I am married. My wife wanted it for family reasons and I accepted that but if she didn't I would happily live the rest of my life with her unmarried with not a care in the world.

Not against changing the law but if the Australian Government has to spend more than 10 bucks to change the law then sorry I want that 10 bucks to go to some poor soul who is battling. Someone homeless. Someone who has been abused. Someone who is starving. And there is probably 101 other life and death causes out there for that 10 bucks too.

Spoken like someone whose got the choice Greeny. I suspect you'd change your tune if you were on the receiving end of it.

Imagine this: you are a voting, tax paying, law abiding citizen with blue eyes and the woman you love and are living with really wants to get married, for family reasons. But, guess what? Blue eyed people aren't allowed to get married. Now let's say brown eyed people are the ones in power. You go to them and say, "Listen, my girlfriend and I want to get married. We'd like you to change the law so that we can," and they say, "Look, you are already living together and enjoying all of the other perks of living in this beautiful, democratic, free country. But this group of brown eyed voters over here think it is a waste of money to change the law / a bad idea, so we aren't going to."

How would you feel, going home to your girlfriend and giving her the news? How would you feel when attending the weddings of your brown eyed siblings and friends, or celebrating the 50th anniversary of your brown eyed parents, knowing those things are never going to happen for you and your girlfriend, just because your eyes are blue?

Cheers,

Christina.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my opinion' date=' Coopers' decision to teem up with the Bible Society was a silly one. They probably expected some publicity that would give them some free advertising. People make mistakes, and so do businesses.

What I do have a real problem though, and it's something I only was made aware because of the recent events, is that Coopers consistently donates huge amounts of money to the SA Liberal Party. This is the political equivalent of the party that gave America (and the world) president Trump, and the party that gave us PM Abbot and PM Fizza. If they really wanted to spend their money on political sponsorship, there are more worthy recipients. Having said that, I would prefer them not to sponsor any political party. It's not only religion and state that should be separated, business too. [/quote']

Do some reading before you post comments that make you look silly.

Cooper's didn't "team up" with The Bible Society - as a very Australian company they chose to acknowledge their sesquicentenary and what they have contributed to the country. The Bible Society also made a short video suggesting people could sit down sharing a Cooper's Mid and at least agree to disagree. Some Hipsters got their knickers in a knot and made fools of themselves (well documented on the UnAustralian.com,) and the religious bigots showed their true colours.

Ironically, the "politically correct" were the haters and bigots here.

Forgive my ignorance Quokka, but I am not Australian. What has the Australian Bible Society contributed to Australia over the past 200 years? Just curious. smile

Umm, I think you are being a bit hard on Jag....He stated his opinion politely.

He is new here. Why not give him a break and try to be kind? wink

Cheers,

Christina.

They have been highly active in charitable works, particularly with Aborigines, but also with homeless and struggling families of any colour or ethnicity. You wouldn't know for example of the persecution of the Irish here for many years, or how women were treated in early colonialism. I admit they have never been big on publicity or self-aggrandisement, but that is the Australian way. They have never preached hatred or bigotry and in fact homosexuals have equal rights in most regards in most of Australia - apart from being able to pay more tax, the only things they would stand to gain from the proposed laws are the right to sue religions they disagree with, and some hope to circumvent certain laws protecting children by making them exempt from character requirements.

Jag could easily have read up on it and maybe even watched the video before accusing Coopers of anything.

They have been highly active in charitable works' date=' particularly with Aborigines, but also with homeless and struggling families of any colour or ethnicity. You wouldn't know for example of the persecution of the Irish here for many years, or how women were treated in early colonialism. I admit they have never been big on publicity or self-aggrandisement, but that is the Australian way. They have never preached hatred or bigotry...[/quote']

Thanks for the info Quokka.

....in fact homosexuals have equal rights in most regards in most of Australia - apart from being able to pay more tax' date=' the only things they would stand to gain from the proposed laws are the right to sue religions they disagree with, and some hope to circumvent certain laws protecting children by making them exempt from character requirements.[/quote']

Could you please expand on which taxes you are referring to? And what you are talking about when you say some homosexuals who want to get married are seeking to become exempt from character requirements? Are you talking about police checks when working with children? Does being married exempt straight people in Australia from needing a police check when they work with kids?

Haven't you missed something? I suppose another right they would gain is the right to marry the person they love?

Cheers,

Christina.

the only things they would stand to gain from the proposed laws are the right to sue religions they disagree with' date=' and some hope to circumvent certain laws protecting children by making them exempt from character requirements.

[/quote']

Quokka - would you mind please explaining actually how equal marriage rights will enable:

1) the right to sue religions they disagree with

and

2) laws protecting children by making them exempt from character requirements.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

and "apart from being able to pay more tax". Could you please clarify this statement for me?

I can still pick on gingers right ?

Left handers ?

People with blue eyes ?

Think there's about as many of any of them in the population as same sex attracted and they still get the same rights as normal people

I cannot support ginger marriage now or in the future ' date=' its just yucky ! [img']sick[/img] i mean what if they breed ?

Whoa there Cap'n Sparrow, I'm from Scotland and there is a large proportion of us with ginger hair! You should consider yourself lucky to even meet one! smile

Aricht, we hae a wee haibit o being hot headed, bit ye cudna kep a mair better core o fowk than gingers. The trowth be telt, yer chancy yer nae getting a plowt roon the lug fir yer chik! Aye, an lang may the gingers be muckle bookit wi bairn.!tongue

In Scotland, we have had same sex marriage for many years now, both civil and church ceremonies, and I am a bit surprised to find out that Australia has not yet legalised it.

Christina, you have succeeded in changing my view on the subject. Your story is so honest and heartwarming that I began to question my own beliefs. I had to ask myself "Why should homosexual people be refused the same rights as everyone else?" My head told me they should not be refused the same rights, they can choose to do good or evil the same as everyone else can, so are essentially the same. Thank you Christina for waking me up. smile

Everyone take care and love one another.

Oor Wullie - Given that same sex marriage is legal in Scotland, have there been any religions sued because of this, and, have any laws for the protection of children been eroded because of this also?

And, Christina, could you please answer the same questions for Canada.

The only thing I can think of in regards to suing a church is if a gay couple wanted to be married in a church and the church refused it. The wording isn't great... you can't just sue an organisation because you disagree with it. I don't imagine too many of them would want to be married in a church either but anyway.

I don't agree with most of what any religion stands for, do I have a right to sue them simply because I disagree with them? Or will that only come into effect when same sex marriage is made legal? See how silly it sounds.

Oor Wullie - Given that same sex marriage is legal in Scotland' date=' have there been any religions sued because of this, and, have any laws for the protection of children been eroded because of this also?

[/quote']

As far as I am aware there have been no lawsuits against any church in Scotland due to same sex marriage, likewise no laws eroded for protection of children.

I will state though that I do not keep as up to date with news nowadays as I used to, so I may be wrong. But I think I would have heard about it if there were lawsuits etc..

In fact, I recall a Church of Scotland male minister that married his male partner not so long ago. There was some discontent between members of the congregation, some even abandoned the church in protest, but the ceremony went ahead regardless.

Oor Wullie - Given that same sex marriage is legal in Scotland' date=' have there been any religions sued because of this, and, have any laws for the protection of children been eroded because of this also?

[/quote']

Sure Morrie, be happy to. That is a negative on both counts, AFAIK. The closest thing to that is there have been some court cases regarding religious officials (ministers), who are not required to perform same-sex marriages in churches, moonlight as marriage commissions for civil unions. In such cases they are required to perform same-sex marriages. Some ministers in this situation have argued this infringes on their freedom of religion, but the courts ruled that as government employees they cannot be exempt from the human rights code, which is part of our constitution.

Cheers,

Christina.

Left handers ?

People with blue eyes ?

Think there's about as many of any of them in the population as same sex attracted and they still get the same rights as normal people

I cannot support ginger marriage now or in the future ' date=' its just yucky ! [img']sick[/img] i mean what if they breed ?

Whoa there Cap'n Sparrow, I'm from Scotland and there is a large proportion of us with ginger hair! You should consider yourself lucky to even meet one! smile

Aricht, we hae a wee haibit o being hot headed, bit ye cudna kep a mair better core o fowk than gingers. The trowth be telt, yer chancy yer nae getting a plowt roon the lug fir yer chik! Aye, an lang may the gingers be muckle bookit wi bairn.!tongue

Fanta pants ! tongue

Surely you see I'm very much tongue in cheek here ?

Left handers ?

People with blue eyes ?

In Scotland, we have had same sex marriage for many years now, both civil and church ceremonies, and I am a bit surprised to find out that Australia has not yet legalised it.

Christina, you have succeeded in changing my view on the subject. Your story is so honest and heartwarming that I began to question my own beliefs. I had to ask myself "Why should homosexual people be refused the same rights as everyone else?" My head told me they should not be refused the same rights, they can choose to do good or evil the same as everyone else can, so are essentially the same. Thank you Christina for waking me up. smile

You welcome! And thanks for changing your views! smile

In my opinion' date=' Coopers' decision to teem up with the Bible Society was a silly one. They probably expected some publicity that would give them some free advertising. People make mistakes, and so do businesses.

What I do have a real problem though, and it's something I only was made aware because of the recent events, is that Coopers consistently donates huge amounts of money to the SA Liberal Party. This is the political equivalent of the party that gave America (and the world) president Trump, and the party that gave us PM Abbot and PM Fizza. If they really wanted to spend their money on political sponsorship, there are more worthy recipients. Having said that, I would prefer them not to sponsor any political party. It's not only religion and state that should be separated, business too. [/quote']

Do some reading before you post comments that make you look silly.

Cooper's didn't "team up" with The Bible Society - as a very Australian company they chose to acknowledge their sesquicentenary and what they have contributed to the country. The Bible Society also made a short video suggesting people could sit down sharing a Cooper's Mid and at least agree to disagree. Some Hipsters got their knickers in a knot and made fools of themselves (well documented on the UnAustralian.com,) and the religious bigots showed their true colours.

Ironically, the "politically correct" were the haters and bigots here.

Forgive my ignorance Quokka, but I am not Australian. What has the Australian Bible Society contributed to Australia over the past 200 years? Just curious. smile

Umm, I think you are being a bit hard on Jag....He stated his opinion politely.

He is new here. Why not give him a break and try to be kind? wink

Cheers,

Christina.

They have been highly active in charitable works, particularly with Aborigines, but also with homeless and struggling families of any colour or ethnicity. You wouldn't know for example of the persecution of the Irish here for many years, or how women were treated in early colonialism. I admit they have never been big on publicity or self-aggrandisement, but that is the Australian way. They have never preached hatred or bigotry and in fact homosexuals have equal rights in most regards in most of Australia - apart from being able to pay more tax, the only things they would stand to gain from the proposed laws are the right to sue religions they disagree with, and some hope to circumvent certain laws protecting children by making them exempt from character requirements.

Jag could easily have read up on it and maybe even watched the video before accusing Coopers of anything.

I did read up on it. I'm not criticising the Bible Society for their charitable works, just a terrible video in a really bad taste, and links to politicians. I'm not accusing Coopers about anything illegal, I'm just not comfortable with their political donations - there are genuinely disadvantaged people in our society, and the Liberal Party is not. In fact, the Liberal Party increases the number of disadvantaged people. But I also never advocated that Coopers should donate to any other party - let's keep politics and business separate. On the other hand, I do commend Coopers for finally coming out in support of same sex marriage - even though the Liberal Party won't like it.

• 7 months later...

When I was a young bloke, it was illegal to be a poofter in Australia, then they made it legal and suddenly it became trendy, now they are going to make gay marriage legal, I hope I die before they make it compulsory....

Why the hell would it be made compulsory? lol The arguments of the no campaign were rather ridiculous to say the least.

The only reason homosexuality was ever illegal at all was because of religion. Same for the marriage. Note that some churches did support it as well but it's refreshing to see people ditching that ancient nonsense in favor of a more inclusive society.

Not all people see it that way of course. I somehow ended up in a group of conspiracy nutjobs on Facebook and one of them was so against it, I called him out for it and got labelled a Satanist and gay and whatnot... bloody idiots lol

It was reported on the news that the Anglican Church of Australia spent $1M on the no campaign. I'm very disappointed that they pissed so much of their parishners money up against the wall on such a futile cause when that money could have been well applied to charities and the homeless or the compensation of victims of pedophile priests. I identify as Anglican, but not anymore after hearing that. I'm not gay but support equal rights marriage. It does no harm to me or anyone else as far as I can see.

KR

as a massive simpsons fan...i laughed way to hard and for way too long at that photo! Good work!

Funny, i saw the news last night and saw the guy from the "no" camp who was in the coopers video. Mentioned it to my missus, her response..."oh yeah i forgot about that...gee that got forgotten about real quick didnt it"

but yeah... Good work Australia!

The whole same sex marriage vote on legitimising it has been farcical, & a HUGE waste of taxpayers money as far as I'm concerned. Over $120 million dollars! All so the government can state it is legal for gay & lesbian partners to be married of which I have never had a problem with anyway.

What a lot of people don't realise is that this will have far reaching repercussions in the future beyond just legitimising marriage, & not all will be positive for all people.

It was never necessary to involve the nation as a whole in the debate as to the legitimacy of whether gay & lesbian couples should have the right to marry or not, as it is NOT a concern of the entire nation.

Lusty.

wow, I missed this thread earlier in the year but thanks everyone for an interesting discussion and for sharing personal stories - by far the best of anything I've read about the SSM campaign. And on a home brew forum at that!

I'm not personally all that bothered about marriage even though I'm gay and in a long term relationship... but I'm glad to see a positive endorsement for basic equality! IMO, be as religious as you like, but as soon as that interferes with equality before the law or my right to quiet enjoyment of our shared social space, then those beliefs have to take a back seat.

It's been a pleasure to read a discussion where people have engaged with each other respectfully to share ideas, and allowed themselves to be open to new and different possibilities. So much better than the atmosphere we get around public debate these days when someone makes an offhand comment or an innocent mistake and gets run out of town by Twitter mobs bearing flaming torches!

Coopers made a bit of an error of judgement with this I think, but they engaged with the debate around it and tried to respond in a way they thought was appropriate. I don't hold it against them, I don't want to live in a world where it's not OK to make mistakes and it won't stop me enjoying their products. I'm just glad they didn't double down and really look like fools.

Archived