Coopers Community

Here you go Lusty - my Red ale recipe

Otto Von Blotto

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess it is a personal thing. I have used Citra as a bittering hop and found it excellent for bittering but I have found Galaxy a little harsh.

But I agree with you re Centennial; it is a great bittering hop in APAs.

I have followed almost exactly' date=' except I'm using some Warrior in place of the small Magnum addition.[/quote']

Wait a minute, Lusty using Warrior surprised

Isn't that a boring bittering hop?

Go your hardest Ladies,

Galaxy co-humolene… is lower than POR is it not!.

I would never use citra as bittering hop again unless I was in a Citra single hop competition,

Its a great aroma hop for mine,

I also only use Galaxy for late boil 5min - flame out & dry hop,

Given this is my recipe originally, I might as well have some input as well.

The type of beer this is probably doesn't suit a harsh bitterness, so I'd agree with not using Galaxy, or any other type of hop that gives that type of bitterness. I've only ever used Magnum for bittering this beer, obviously along with the Cascade and Centennial additions.

It's a smooth beer, not a hop bomb. It started out basically with the intent of it having a similar flavour profile to an APA but with a nice red colour but it seems to be morphing into a more malt driven beer these days; I'm experimenting with English ale yeasts in it at the moment, but I still brew it to the same recipe as in the original post on this thread, which is the original incarnation of it. I had changed small things on some batches due to lack of certain ingredients, but these were never as good as the original. The yeast experimenting is fun though.

In any case, the beer has always been a smooth flavoured beer and as such my advice would be to use Magnum for the bittering addition, or something that will give a similar result. IMO it will turn out much better than it would with a more harsh bitterness.

Cheers

Kelsey

Thanks for the feedback on bittering hops.

Instead of doing a 60min boil to bitter could i use a Coopers Pale Ale can that has been pre bittered? and take away the bittering hop additions?

I have calculated this in IanH spreadsheet and it comes to IBU 32 and EBC 39.4

Recipe....

Coopers Pale Ale 1.7kg

Light Dry Malt Extract or BE3 500gms

CaraAroma grain 280gms

CaraPils grain 180gms

Roasted Barley grain 65gms

Centennial (8.2%AA) 20gms @ 20mins

Cascade 30gms dry hopped.

US-05 yeast

I have left out the 600gm of Marris Otter. Should i leave it in ?

Thoughts?

Dingo

In theory you could but I don't think it would taste the way it's intended to by using that kit. That's not to say it would be bad, just different to what it is when done from scratch and bittered yourself.

It's up to you which way you go but if you want it to come out close to the original recipe, you'll have a better chance if you don't use a pre-bittered kit on it. cool

Hi guys.

I'm not sure how my name got dragged into Kelsey's Red Ale thread relating to co-humulone levels of hops, but any advice I have offered to fellow brewers to perhaps look at adjusting their recipe around this area of a hop is for no other reason than to spare them some pending grief or disappointment in how the co-humulone level of the said hop will affect their brew based on how they described they wished to use it.

My knowledge comes off the back of a hell of a lot of reading, research & practical brewing with a great number of different hop varieties used in many different ways.

I just put the information & advice out there. People can do what they want with that. innocent

Cheers,

Lusty.

Fair play Lusty, i'm new to the game so was just sussing if i could substitute hops for bittering. Thanks for everyones feedback.

Anyways, i've come up with my own recipes.

Red Falcon

Briess Light Liquid Malt 1.7kg

Coopers Light Dry Malt 500gm

Coopers BE3 500gm

CaraAroma 280gm

CaraPils 180gm

Roast Barley 65gm

Magnum 10gm @ 60min

Falconers Flight 15gm @ 20min

Falconers Flight 15gm @ Flame Out

Falconer Flight 20gm @ Dry Hop

21L batch

BRY-97 or US-05 yeast

Also, has anyone used these 'Best Malz Red x Malt' before. I am buying 200gm and see what they do. Thoughts on chucking them in this boil??

https://nationalhomebrew.com.au/beergrains-and-maltsbest-malz-red-x-malt

Dingo

I have followed almost exactly' date=' except I'm using some Warrior in place of the small Magnum addition.[/quote']

Wait a minute, Lusty using Warrior surprised

Isn't that a boring bittering hop?

I'll admit I did find it a little lack lustre on the citrusy side for what I was hoping for when I used it. Massive alpha though, & 100gms went a long, long way over quite a few brews when purely used for bittering.

It is a little on the limp side for what I want from my hops, but that said, it is still better than Magnum! tongue

Remind me to put that in my memoirs! lolwink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Also' date=' has anyone used these 'Best Malz Red x Malt' before. I am buying 200gm and see what they do. Thoughts on chucking them in this boil??

https://nationalhomebrew.com.au/beergrains-and-maltsbest-malz-red-x-malt

Dingo[/quote']

G'day Dingo,

No point using a touch of Red X. To get a nice red colour it has to be used as a base malt. 100% of the grist is good, you definitely don't need any specialty malts flavour-wise. If you aim for an OG of 1.050, use 100% Red X malt and give it time to clear you will get a nice red colour and a pretty rich, malty tasting beer.

I did a SMaSH with Red X, Centennial and Wyeast 2206 which produced a great result. In terms of flavour I can see similarities to what Caraaroma brings as a specialty malt. It will give quite different results to Kelsey's grain bill though. It's definitely worth trying one day, but not in this recipe.

Cheers,

John

• 1 month later...

I couldn't wait to try the Red Ale, it has only been in the bottle for 8 days...... This has to be one of the tastiest things i have ever drank. It has a nice Roasty malt back bone with a subtle hoppy nose. This will only age better. I need to try and keep it away!!!

Thanks for the recipe.

Dingo.

• 4 months later...

Hey mate, I don't adjust any hops timings for no-chilling, so yeah, they go in as written.

I figure the main reason I don't adjust them is because I've always no-chilled since brewing AG, so I've sort of unintentionally made up my own hop schedules that work to give me the flavour and bitterness I want in my beers.

And personally I think that's what everyone should be doing with no-chill because what works for one doesn't necessarily work for someone else. This nonsensical blanket rule of moving everything 15 minutes forward or whatever should be thrown on the scrap heap to be honest.

/rant lol

I'm hoping to brew this today, as long as the kids stay happy. I came up with a problem, the LHBS had no Caraaroma so I had to substitute Crystal 120. It'll probably be missing the flavour profile of the Cara but since it's my first time with the recipe I probably wont notice!

Bugger, yeah the crystal 120 should work alright, it may not give the strong caramel/toffee that Caraaroma does, but it should still be a nice beer! I had to sub some of the Caraaroma in one batch I brewed with some of my own home made crystal malt and it still tasted pretty close. What yeast are you planning to ferment it with?

Actually, I forgot I was tossing up between the crystal and Munich 2 and I went the Munich 2 which should be a bit different to the crystal but not the same as caraaroma. I'm using US-05 to ferment at 18 degrees. I'm doing a mash out at the moment. biggrin

Archived