Coopers Community

Here you go Lusty - my Red ale recipe

Otto Von Blotto

Not the best pic. I think I need to take a Ben10 photography class! wink

Looks great mate! Get the sun behind it...

Unfortunately for me' date=' the sun rises at the rear of my house & sets at the front of the house. By the time it is suitable to be enjoying an ale or two the sun is at the front of the house.

In my neighborhood around this time of day it's a veritable hive of activity along the street. Kids playing, couples walking, people walking their dogs, watering their gardens etc. So the last thing I want is for people to be pointing & laughing saying things like, "BAHAHA look at that weirdo taking pictures of his beer!" [img']lol[/img]

It's a little like Penrith around here, & I don't want a tag like that among this lot! tongue

Maybe I'll have to start pouring a few of a morning for those great sun shots? whistling

biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say the extra volume has diluted the colour a bit, however it still looks delicious! From what you have said about it so far it sounds like it tastes it too which is the main thing.

Yes I agree, have a sneaky morning beer on your day off or something and get a pic of it with the sun behind it. devil

I really need to find somewhere in my house to do that actually. It's difficult in winter because the sun doesn't go anywhere where I can sit the beer to photograph it. annoyed

Hi GregT5.

Anthony' date=' don't just pour them for snap shots....it's after lunch somewhere in the world!!

...Well that's my excuse anyway. [img']wink[/img]w00t

Your missus really has no idea where you are at certain times of the day does she? lol

I commend you. Well done on the routines you have established. Publishing your notes & routines could potentially be worth a lot of money! lolbiggrin

Everyone who's been on the forum a while knows I'm a bit of a ratbag, but in all honesty it is extremely rare that I drink before 12.00pm on any given day. I personally enjoy & look forward to a beer when I've worked up a thirst from whatever I've been doing that day, so unless I start working hard at some ridiculously early time of the day (that some consider normal), I really don't feel like one pre-lunchtime. wink

...however it still looks delicious! From what you have said about it so far it sounds like it tastes it too which is the main thing.

I needed a beer like this that was really different from the hoppy pale ales I mainly brew. It's got really nice malt character & a very nice usage of hops that compliment that (IMHO). I'm really enjoying drinking it atm. I hope others on the forum give it a go & enjoy it as much as I am.

I never had any doubt about whether the beer was going to be any good or not. It was the one you put forward ahead of others I'm sure you brew well & taste great' date=' so I was always going to be on a winner! [img']smile[/img]

My next brewing of this recipe will be even better because I'll brew it to the intended volume next time! wink

Cheers & thanks again for the recipe Kelsey,

Lusty.

Well you're welcome mate and I'm really happy to hear that you are enjoying it heaps. biggrin It's a nice feeling to create something that others can also enjoy. And to think it was just an experimental recipe. Just fluked it that it needed no tweaking really. w00t

That reasoning is mainly why it became a regular on my brewing calendar, it's a nice change up from the usual pale ales I brew. I just need to get more Cascade hops and Carapils so I can brew the original recipe again. lol

If these pilsner attempts go well, they will become regulars on the brew calendar as well, and may overtake this one as my favourite recipe. Time will tell on that one though...wink

Thanks for posting the pic Lusty! Looks like a really nice beer, and in a 23 litre volume the colour intensity would be just that little bit higher. The key to morning beer photos is an early start to a brew day. You'll definitely (well I do anyway) feel like pouring yourself a nice drink as the brewing session begins! If you have a window at the front of the house that catches the morning sun you could get a nice photo sitting the beer on that. Then you wouldn't have to roam around the front yard taking snapshots of a beer on a letter box or something while the neighbours look on lol

I will have to take some shots in the winter afternoon sun when it hits my sunroom. Haven't had afternoon sun for a couple of weeks though now ... just clouds, rain and wind it seems like. When there is sun it's the best spot in the house for a couple of hours though! Then you start losing all feeling in your limbs once the sun goes down lol

Thanks for the feedback on the recipe OVB. Gives me some confidence I haven't stuffed it up completely buggerizing around with it. Might get a little more English yeast character, a smidge softer bitterness and a slight increase in hop aroma from your original. Having said that, I could only get hold of NZ Cascade not US Cascade, so it could end up being completely different!

I tend to treat the White Labs yeast recommendations as a guide to achieving the flavour descriptors they give. I reckon it'll ferment ok a couple of degrees each way outside the range they give, but might give a slightly different result.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kelsey.

I need some help with some numbers.

I was wondering if you can tell me what alpha your Cascade is that was used in the FWH addition of this recipe, & what IBU it spits out for that addition in your brewing software?

I'm trying to setup a more accurate measurement for calculating FWH IBU in IanH's spreadsheet. I've sort of been 'winging it' so far when I use FWH'ing additions.

I asked Ben in another thread, but he may have missed the post. unsure

Thanks in advance,

Lusty.

Hi Kelsey.

I was wondering if you can tell me what alpha your Cascade is that was used in the FWH addition of this recipe' date=' & what IBU it spits out for that addition in your brewing software?

I'm trying to setup a more accurate measurement for calculating FWH IBU in IanH's spreadsheet. I've sort of been 'winging it' so far when I use FWH'ing additions.

I asked Ben in another thread, but he may have missed the post. [img']unsure[/img]

Thanks in advance,

Lusty.

Hey Lusty,

That's a bloody good question. It's listed at 5.5% in the recipe, but I don't know if that's a default Beersmith number or whether they actually were that. I would guess they were though, because it would have been the Magnum addition that I played around with to keep the bitterness the same, if I'd had higher AA% Cascade. All the recipes I have stored in there have the Cascade at either 5.5% or 5.6% (except the SNPA clone at 7.2% but that was only a 90g bag from Craftbrewer bought especially for that recipe).

So, going off that 5.5% number, in my recipe for the FWH addition it comes up with 12.8IBUs. I set the FWH addition time to the same as the boil time. I just threw in an 80 minute boil of the same amount to compare, and it came up with 11.6IBUs. So it would appear there is a slight difference but probably not enough to notice, especially since FWH is supposed to result in slightly more IBUs but a lesser perceived bitterness.

Cheers

Kelsey

I'm trying to setup a more accurate measurement for calculating FWH IBU in IanH's spreadsheet.

...in my recipe for the FWH addition it comes up with 12.8IBUs. I set the FWH addition time to the same as the boil time. I just threw in an 80 minute boil of the same amount to compare' date=' and it came up with 11.6IBUs. So it would appear there is a slight difference but probably not enough to notice, especially since FWH is supposed to result in slightly more IBUs but a lesser perceived bitterness.[/quote']

I've been messing around with my modified (read: 'butchered') version of IanH's calc to add the option of specifying FWH, and most of the source information I've read says you'll generally get 10% more IBU from FWH than a plain kettle addition.

In the case of Otto's FWH vs 80min addition, the FWH yields around +10.3% IBU to the kettle additions, so the numbers seem pretty right (the extra 0.34-ish is probably due to rounding).

Hope this helps!

Using your 5.5% alpha & 80mins for a time, I simply have to increase the hop weight used by 10% (in the calculator only), & the IBU number matches the 12.8 you stated.

That formula should work across the board, & will be what I now use for this calculation.

Thanks guys.

Lusty.

I think that's how Beersmith calculates it actually. I have read a few blog posts on the Beersmith site about it recently and I do sort of remember him saying that the software increases the hop weight by 10% for FWH additions to work out the IBUs. The actual amount stays as it has been input into it obviously, it is just a background calculation. Sounds like it might be the way to go then. cool

Mine's stabilized at 1.010 now, and I don't detect any roast flavour in the gravity sample any more. I've turned off the heat pad that was keeping it at 18C and will let it ride (covered) at ambient until bottling on Wednesday night. It's tasting really good after the dry hop!

Sounds good mate! Glad to hear the roasty flavour has gone too, as it isn't supposed to be in there. I'd guess it's probably finished fermenting too going by that reading.

I'm definitely gonna have to get some more Cascade on my next hop order, and grab some Carapils next time I head to CB for ingredients so I can make the original version again myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Kelsey

Tasted from the bottle today, I brewed the volume as per your recipe so I have 1/2 dozen long necks. This has been bottled for six weeks (after 3 weeks in the FV). Initially I picked up some yeasty aroma (from the secondary ferment) but after the first mouthful the Cascade was shining through. It is a lovely drop and I can't wait to pop the keg the challenge now is to limit myself to just one long neck. It has a lovely lingering after taste and has restored my faith in bottled brews. I'll brew this again for sure.

Here's the pic, it does have a red hue when the light is right, however I am really going to struggle to find the natural light of the sun for the next couple of months lol

IMG_05481_zpsz8rcabss.jpg

Thanks for the recipe post

Scottie

Valley Brew

I'm not the least bit surprised having brewed it, it is a lovely beer.

You can't beat drinking a person's recipe at the glass. You simply can't. rightful

I've tried to get a beer swap of sorts going within the forum faithful, but to no avail. pouty

Personally, I'm quite happy to mail a bottle or two to any co-brewer on this forum within reason & if overseas, a cost agreement can be agreed upon.

We can only say so much in text to describe our beers, & drinking them in the glass is really where all the hype (for a better word) brings the truth out. wink

The more experienced brewers on the forum certainly understand the methods & practices each of us present in our recipes, but there are some very different methods used to produce the same "numbers" I would suggest. wink

Count me in for any swap type arrangements with co-members here on the forum. happy

Cheers,

Lusty.

Thank you for your kind words there Scottie, I am glad you enjoyed/are enjoying the beer! happy

It's a great feeling to create something that others can also enjoy as much as I do. The recipe itself was pretty much just an experiment when I came up with it, but I fluked it the first time and the only reason I've changed it on more recent batches is due to lack of certain ingredients that were in the original. The original, which is the one I shared with everyone, is the best version I think.

Speaking of brewing others' recipes, I have some Mosaic hops which I ordered with my last order, so after winter when I start brewing ales again I'm gonna have a crack at your amber ale Lusty. I'm sure it'll be just as good as everyone who has brewed it so far has been saying. biggrin

Cheers

Kelsey

Well Kelsey, I enjoyed a couple while brewing tonight and I have to say, this is a really nice beer! It's got a nice rich malt character, balanced against some pine / grapefruit hop flavours. I still do think mine turned out slightly too bitter. Next time I will drop the hops back a touch and it should be perfect. Maybe I'm just a wuss biggrin

The colour of mine turned out roughly the same as Lusty's, I didn't get that beautiful red colour in your pic. It must have been from using Roasted Barley instead of Black Malt.

Happy to hear that it has turned out well John! happy

Yeah, I think you're just a wuss tongue But nah seriously, if you do back off the hops, make it the bittering addition itself.. I'd leave the FWH and 20 min additions as they are. The colour issue could be due to the roasted barley, as I believe black malt is a darker grain than RB. It may be influencing the flavour a bit and giving a small amount of perceived bitterness as well.

As I say, I have never noted this beer to be particularly bitter, it has always turned out well balanced against the malt influence in my experience. smile

• 2 weeks later...

Got impatient and decided to sacrifice one of my 330mL testers to get an idea of how the colour turned out on this brew. Colour seems pretty good for a kit brew, and I'm impressed with the clarity after a week. Hop aroma is super-fresh and lovely, but the bitterness has a few sharp edges and needs another few weeks to incorporate properly.

All in all, not a bad drop (though I was expecting a little more residual sweetness from the DME). Have a few ideas for what I'd do differently next time, but I still think it'll be a quaffable brew once it's conditioned properly:

p9qnofP.jpg

Bah! Just Photoshop it like I did! Bahaha! loltongue

biggrin

Seriously, look at how Ben10 photographs his beers. Like he said, get the light behind it, it brings out the true colour & great for showing off a nice hue. rightful

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived