Coopers Community

Dangers with brewing in glass- My personal account

Canadian Eh!L

Hi Chad.

Of course I am sorry to hear about your accident (as I stated above).

JVozjne.jpg

But to see that Bill Oddie looks to have broken his arm at the same time is quite bizarre! surprised

13147.gif

biggrin

I hope your funny bone wasn't injured in the accident.

Lusty.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd get you to pour a beer for me 'cause I can't hold the glass and pull the tap handle with one arm!loltonguebiggrin

It's not bad enough that your injured but now your being tortured!!pinchedsurprised

Sorry Chad that's just rubbing salt into the wounds.crying

I hope a soultion can be found.wink

Cheers.

Kick a man when he's down' date=' eh?[img']annoyed[/img]

I'd give my left arm to get myone good hand on any one of you lot. And when I did.... I'd get you to pour a beer for me 'cause I can't hold the glass and pull the tap handle with one arm!loltonguebiggrin

lol

You've always been a good sport Chad, & I knew you'd take it the way it was intended. happy

As far as that pouring issue goes, forget the planned HERMS setup, & just get one of those auto-pourers like in McDonalds. Place the glass under the spout & push a button! cool

When I was over in the UK many years ago a number of the pubs I went into used them. It was pretty neat actually, & they poured a perfect head too!

Seriously, if the pouring is an issue, make yourself up a beer out line with one of those picnic dispenser taps on the end. You only need one hand to use these. It's actually what I currently use to pour from my kegs. wink

If I ever have a mishap anything like yours Chad, my drinking will not be interrupted or inconvenienced.

I won't even break stride! biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

Are they like those sort of gun things that fit to the end of the hose, or beer line, with a sort of trigger on them?

I remember at a party a few years back they had a keg with this sort of attachment, and everyone was too scared to fully squeeze the trigger. They mostly ended up with cups of foam. lol

When I was over in the UK many years ago a number of the pubs I went into used them. It was pretty neat actually' date=' & they poured a perfect head too!

Seriously, if the pouring is an issue, make yourself up a beer out line with one of those picnic dispenser taps on the end. You only need one hand to use these. It's actually what I currently use to pour from my kegs. [img']wink[/img]

Ha! I'm way ahead of you, Lusty! I hooked up my new picnic faucet. I just have another day left to go on my antibiotics before I can use it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Loonie,

Thanks for asking. It just so happens i just got back from seeing the surgeon today. I still have another month before i can even start to move my hand! So it will be in a cast for 6 weeks. After that I start physio. I'm off work until Apri l20!pinchedannoyed.

Oh well, I can still brew beer. I've got 70Kg of various malts and a big bag of Centennial pellets arriving todayso i plan to keep my FVs full in the time being. Can't keep a brewing fanatic down!w00t

Chad

Yup. Centennial is a good one. It works very good as a bittering hop or as a late addition. In fact I'll often brew a beer withe only Centennial for my hops. The only other hops I use as a single hop would be Hallertau or perhaps Fuggles.

There is something in all grain brewing called sMasH (single Malt and single Hop)brewing. This is a recipe one might do to get a good feel for a particular malt and/or hop. Centennial sMasHs are Awesome in my opinion. An extract brewer could do a sMasH with 2.5kgs of DME and Bittering and late adds for the same effect. Give it a go!cool

Yup. Centennial is a good one. It works very good as a bittering hop or as a late addition.

+1

Every beer I've used this as a bittering hop in has turned out very well. happy

Easily the most versatile hop I've used across bittering' date=' flavour & aroma additions, & I've used plenty.

Cheers,

Lusty.[/size']

Yup. Centennial is a good one. It works very good as a bittering hop or as a late addition. In fact I'll often brew a beer withe only Centennial for my hops. The only other hops I use as a single hop would be Hallertau or perhaps Fuggles.

There is something in all grain brewing called sMasH (single Malt and single Hop)brewing. This is a recipe one might do to get a good feel for a particular malt and/or hop. Centennial sMasHs are Awesome in my opinion. An extract brew could do a sMasH with 2.5kgs of DME and Bittering an late adds for the same effect. Give it a go!cool

That's a very nasty injury caused by brewing and probably the worst I've ever heard of. Good luck with your recuperation.

Thermal shock with glass can be dramatic. I had a friend at my home drinking copious amounts of my beer and appeared reluctant to leave whilst there was some beer in my favourite 2½ litre beer jug. Once this beer pig left, I put the jug under the kitchen tap and began to rinse it out with some hot water. Yep, you got it, I was left just holding the handle and the jug was a a hundred pieces in the bottom of the sink. Thankfully there were no injuries other than the jug. I have never been lucky enough to buy another jug similar.

I agree with you in regards to the Centennial Hops. Great Ale using 100%. Drinking one at the moment.

Hi Chad, I have just bottled my Real Ale I mentioned in brew day and now have an empty FV.

I am pretty set on throwing on a Centennial sMasH after hearing good things about this hop from yourself and Lusty. This would be the first brew I have done with out a brew can so I was wondering if you could give me a rough hop schedule to follow. Thinking of using 2x 1.5 kg Light LME Jars + which ever yeast strain you would recommend.

Cheers.

Hey Loonie,

I'm sorry, I missed your post until nowinnocent.

If you don't mind, I took the liberty of using BrewMate to design a recipe for you using all extract.

Centennial PA

3Kg LME

.5Kg DME

15g Centennial (13%) 40mins

20g Centennial 10mins

25g Centennial dry hop

US-05

21L

OG 1.053 IBUs 30ish ABV% 5.3

Do a 5-10 litre boil along with the DME for your hop adds and top up with cold water.

This should give you a good idea of Centennial in a sMasH. I'm going to do something similar real soon.smile

Not a worry, I probably should have posted in another thread. cool

Sounds like it will be a nice brew, ill try to get in on this week. Thanks for taking the time to work out an extract version for me, much appreciated, Chad.

If I were to brew this to 23L rather than 21, could I just bump the DME up to 1kg and add a tiny bit more hops? Or I could just stick to 21 L.

Thanks again.

Just registered and joined the forums and this is my first message. I was thinking of getting a 23 glass carboy, I last brewed probably 10 years ago and my plastic fermenters have seen too much of the sun and crumbled with the UV. Now I am rethinking things. I have a 5 litre glass carboy which I was thinking of perhaps splitting the can into small batches. How well does the wort keep once opened I wonder. Anyway all the best with your recovery and thanks for saving me from a potential mishap.

• 4 weeks later...

I got the splint of my arm yesterday! I'm on the road to recovery, I guess. I have lots of pain in my fingers and wrist from inactivity. It's a little disheartening to have this much pain 7 weeks into recovery. Still another 6 week before I can go back to work.annoyed

Here's a picture Benny Tenny. I hope it's gory enough for you.sad

LEb5lc8.jpg[/img]

Hey CanCanMan

I thought you were going to show us a pic of your brewing war wounds. Yet instead, it seems you've chosen this forum as a venue to parade semi naked and display your body. Keep the naturist photos to yourself please, you weirdo. sick

CanCanMan2.jpg

Archived