Coopers Community

Dangers with brewing in glass- My personal account

Canadian Eh!L

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, after 3 long months I finally went back to work this week. While I'm not completely recovered from my injuries I am close enough for light duty. My hand is still quite stiff in the joints and my arm is still lacking in strength I think being back will do me good. It has been a difficult time physically, mentally, emotionally and financially and I am looking forward to turning the page on this nasty bit of business.

I have to agree with BeerLuv. Take it slow and easy on your return. Over here, our workcover (OHS) authority would probably insist on a stepped return to work plan after such a long absence: Something like 3 hrs per day light duties for the first few weeks, then up it to 4 or 5 hrs per day for the next few etc etc. Not sure what it's like over there, but there is no shame in saying "I think that's a bit beyond me at the moment".

Remember it's not just you relying on your return to full duties as quickly and fully as sensibly possible and you don't want any unseen setbacks at this stage. Good luck, mate.

Over here' date=' our workcover (OHS) authority would probably insist on a stepped return to work plan after such a long absence: Something like 3 hrs per day light duties for the first few weeks, then up it to 4 or 5 hrs per day for the next few etc etc. [/quote']

A friend was telling me about his motorbike accident, he works as a chef, did his back in. Managed to return to work without announcing the accident and had a well planned fall in the cool room. Was able to make a work cover claim. I doubt Chad whether you would be so lucky!! Good to see you are now back working ... slowly but surely.

Whoa, Phil28

I'm not suggesting or condoning fraud in any way, shape or form. I can't see where I could possibly be misunderstood in any of my post, but if there is any possibilty it could be construed in that way, it was absolutely unintentional and not something I could or would support. My thought is its not worth the risk and its much easier being honest - then you don't need a good memory.

My hand is still quite stiff

Better than a stiff in the hand. Or is it? Sorry I am still quite immature.

All the best with the recovery Chad. As the others have, take your time and don't conduct any fraudulent activity.

Blimey Chad that's a serious wound (and beard) you've got there

Good job your wife was there or things could've got very serious indeed.

I've got visions of the disastrous events being made into a film with you and your son struggling to make it across the Canadian wilderness to a hospital, sleeping rough in the wild, fighting off bears and rabid wolves and eating Beaver (chuckle) to survive.

I'd cast Zach Galifianakis as your character, or maybe Joachin Pheonix to get more chicks interested in the movie.

Glad all turned out ok man. Take it easy. Wow that first beer is gonna taste gooooooood!

cheers jay

Whoa' date=' Phil28

I'm not suggesting or condoning fraud in any way, shape or form. I can't see where I could possibly be misunderstood in any of my post,.[/quote']

Calm down it was suppose to be some light relief, forgot to put a smiley at the endbiggrin Not even sure what sort of work Chad does, but can you imagine him coming to work the next day trying to hide thatbiggrin

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Loonie' date='

I'm sorry, I missed your post until now[img']innocent[/img].

If you don't mind, I took the liberty of using BrewMate to design a recipe for you using all extract.

Centennial PA

3Kg LME

.5Kg DME

15g Centennial (13%) 40mins

20g Centennial 10mins

25g Centennial dry hop

US-05

21L

OG 1.053 IBUs 30ish ABV% 5.3

Do a 5-10 litre boil along with the DME for your hop adds and top up with cold water.

This should give you a good idea of Centennial in a sMasH. I'm going to do something similar real soon.smile

Hey Chad, I hope your arm is getting back to normal (as much as possible).

I want to brew an all Centennial beer (got 200g in the mail last week - 9.6%AA) and have come across a clone recipe for a US beer called Bell's Two Hearted Ale. Have you ever tried this drop? I've seen a couple of different hop schedules but the one I'll probably go with is:

30g @ 45 mins

30g @ 30 mins

100g dry hop

IBU - between 55 & 60. What do you reckon?

Cheers + beers,

Mark

Hey Ized

I reckon that hop schedule looks good. I think it's hard to mess up with Centennial. What is the malt bill for your said brew? With IBUs like that you'd better balance it out a bit with some malt.

My arm is still recovering slowing. I've been back to work for around a month now and it's going ok. I still can't do the really heavy lifting that some aspects of my job calls for. That's for asking though

Hey Ized

I reckon that hop schedule looks good. I think it's hard to mess up with Centennial. What is the malt bill for your said brew? With IBUs like that you'd better balance it out a bit with some malt.

My arm is still recovering slowing. I've been back to work for around a month now and it's going ok. I still can't do the really heavy lifting that some aspects of my job calls for. That's for asking though

Hey mate' date='

3kg Light LME

1kg LDM

300g Crystal

150g Carapils

20lt brew

Are you seeing a physio or an upper limb therapist as part of your rehab? I saw one when my finger got mauled and it helped heaps - my finger is [i']almost[/i] normal these days.

• 6 months later...

Hey Gang,

I thought I should update this post after being prompted by a friend in another post. Thanks, Phil.

It has been nearly a year (Jan. 17/2015) since I badly injured my left arm when a 5 gallon carbouy exploded in my hands while washing it. I took many, many stitches and when though surgery with a very long recovery.

I am happy to say that I am almost 100% recovered! I still have some numbness in my finger tips, but very little. My scar on my arm is still quite gruesome and the flesh on my forearm is still quite numb and uncomfortable. My strength has almost completely recovered and I am not afraid to lift or carry anything. This includes very heavy object.

I would say that I am leading a completely normal life again other than the harsh and painful memories of my experience and some physical reminders of my mistake.

Thanks to all who have shared their concern for my well being though this experience.

Regards,

Chad

It's fantastic you're nearly 100%. If I can just give you one tip, don't let your wife know that you're ready to be doing that sort of thing yet. I made that mistake once and she now expects me to pay her some special attention every year since. It's unbelievable what goes through some women's minds.

Whoa' date=' Phil28

I'm not suggesting or condoning fraud in any way, shape or form. I can't see where I could possibly be misunderstood in any of my post,.[/quote']

Calm down it was suppose to be some light relief, forgot to put a smiley at the endbiggrin Not even sure what sort of work Chad does, but can you imagine him coming to work the next day trying to hide thatbiggrin

And phil, I never did get around to apologising to you for my misinterpretation of your post. You must have been unfortunate enough to catch me at the only time within the last decade when I took the world seriously. Sorry about that one.

Cheers guys.

Hi Chad. smile

...I am happy to say that I am almost 100% recovered! I still have some numbness in my finger tips' date=' but very little.[/quote']

Well the uninjured off-arm has had to "shuffle the sleave" solo for quite sometime now, so it's perfectly natural the over working of it could produce signs of numbness in the end digits. We all know it's not the injured arm you're talking about here! tonguelol With the gradual return of strength to the injured arm, I'm sure the "balance of fury" pain will again revert to being shared between the two. wink

...My scar on my arm is still quite gruesome and the flesh on my forearm is still quite numb and uncomfortable.

Just think of the movie parts you can now get that you couldn't previously without the assistance of a prominent make-up artist! cool

Being the bullshit artist I am & if I lived where you do' date=' if I was ever at a bar & someone asked me how I got the scar, I'd say I was involved in a chainsaw fight with a lumberjack & that he is no longer with us! [img']lol[/img]

Plus I heard chicks dig scars! wink

My strength has almost completely recovered and I am not afraid to lift or carry anything. This includes very heavy object.

I'm sure SWMBO must be absolutely thrilled that you can once again help her unload the entire back filled section of the SUV after a lengthy day for her out shopping! tonguebiggrin

You know I'm just taking the p|$$. innocent

I would say that I am leading a completely normal life again other than the harsh and painful memories of my experience and some physical reminders of my mistake.

On a serious note' date=' having seen the pictures you posted at the time, I'm really glad to hear you say you appear to have fully recovered. It was a dreadful injury. In many ways you must look back on that day as some sort of blessing given how close your son (from memory) was to you at the time the carboy let go & that he wasn't injured similarly to yourself.

On a more positive vibe, anything brew-wise you've been secretly developing that is bearing fruit? [img']unsure[/img]

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Archived