Coopers Community

2nd Brew - weird green bits floating on top of the fermenter

slewman

Hey boys,

After 12 hours in the FV my 2nd brew (1st one was lovely) has got some grass looking green bits floating on top (photo attached)

Its the coopers pale ale. I had washed the kit out with coopers sanitiser before starting the 2nd batch.

In the picture you'll see a suspicious looking light green circle in the bottom corner too.

Anyone seen this outaspace looking stuff before? Obviously I'm pretty worried it might be a contamination. Hopefully some experienced heads can point me the right direction.

Actually, heres the link to the picture, getting errors when trying to attach here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2nIZNdeHI_kUTlMdnAzMjgwME0/edit?usp=sharing

Cheers Lads

Slewman

Hi Slewman,

Whats the recipe you used?

Where has the fermenter been sitting and has the lid been off for a while? Would anyone be trying to sabotage your brew? :)

It looks like grass clippings or something like that to me :)

Hi Slewman' date='

Where has the fermenter been sitting and has the lid been off for a while? Would anyone be trying to sabotage your brew? :)

It looks like grass clippings or something like that to me :)[/quote']

G'day Slewman, you got little kids or a smartarse mate, not much difference some times? whistling

Cheers.

Hi Slewman' date='

It looks like grass clippings or something like that to me :)[/quote']

G'day Slewman, you got little kids or a smartarse mate, not much difference some times? whistling

+1

In the words of the great Inspector Jacques Clouseau, "I smell a saboteur!"

It might be Cato. unsurewink

P.S. I've heard of beers that have aromas like fresh lawn cuttings, but that's taking it a little too far. biggrin

Cheers,

Anthony.

Not grass' date=' top left is clearly paper.

Label of some sort?[/quote']

A quite good chance it's part of the label that fell in when you poured the contents of the can in.

If that's the case I'd be inclined to either just leave it, or use sterilized tongs to remove those particles, but carefully and without leaving the lid off the FV for too long.

I've had bits of the label fall in before, and it didn't do any harm to the brew.

What I do nowadays, is soak the can in hot water for a while before adding the contents, and peel off the bits of the label that will make contact with the can opener, so the can opener doesn't leave loose bits of label to fall into your brew as you're pouring.

I'm betting you used a Coopers Australian Pale Ale can, as that has a lot of green on the label that would be likely to be the culprit!

That or as others have said, someone's playing silly buggers with you.

Surely you'd notice something like that (particularly in that amount)' date=' when you're pouring in the contents of the tin? [img']surprised[/img]

And there in lies a story in a singular post alien. Perhaps the slewman has already fished the bits out of the FV bandit.

Hey lads. Thanks for all the replies. Well embarrassingly, it was bits of label. I don't know how I didn't spot it while mixing.

I sort of know how it happened though. For the 1st brew I didn't heat the can up enough and the malty goodness was a bit tough to get out. This time round I heated the crap out of the can, which made the good stuff come out beautifully but must of also taken a bit of the paper label off.

Anywho, I managed to scoop it out and the brew is bubbling away nicely.

I nearly didn't post out of sheer embarrassment. But hey, I'm sure it's given a few of you a laugh hahaha.

yeah, it was a few bits around the opened end by the look of it. It must have been under the froth when mixing then rose to the top during the night.

It's still funny I couldn't see it was label floating in the FV. I may forever be known as the "grass guy" on here lol

yeah' date=' it was a few bits around the opened end by the look of it. It must have been under the froth when mixing then rose to the top during the night.

It's still funny I couldn't see it was label floating in the FV. I may forever be known as the "grass guy" on here lol[/quote']

G'day slewman, if this is the worst thing that happens in your brewing adventures then you'll be a lucky bastard indeed. wink

Cheers.

Hey Slewman

Next time remove the label before opening the can. I always did this, soak the can upside down in hot water, remove the label a open the lid so that I poured the concentrate out of the side opposite to the label glue left on the can.

Good Luck with this brew it should be OK given you soaked the label in HW.

Cheers

Scottie

It's still funny I couldn't see it was label floating in the FV. I may forever be known as the "grass guy" on here lol

"grass guy"seems a little boring. How about "grasshopper"? He was learning too wasn't he? biggrin

Welcome to the forum slewman (grasshopper). smile

Cheers & good luck with your future brewing' date='

Anthony.[/size']

yeah' date=' it was a few bits around the opened end by the look of it. It must have been under the froth when mixing then rose to the top during the night.

It's still funny I couldn't see it was label floating in the FV. I may forever be known as the "grass guy" on here lol[/quote']

Just out of interest, which can was it?

Just out of interest, which can was it?

It was the coopers pale Ale. Hats off to everyone who guessed it LOL

Archived