Coopers Community

Trying to convert the unconvertable

Chezza

Hey fellas,

Had the outlaws over for dinner Saturday night thought I would try to impress the gfs father with a home brew and a garlic cream seafood pasta.

Now he was a VB drinker for 35 years then went to VB mid until they were too hard to get a hold of, and now he has moved onto Carlton Mid. I decided to do a TC Bitters with I think it was a kilo of BE2 thought that it would lead to an unassuming bitter, something comparable to mainstream Aus beer. And my opinion it is one of my best brews so far, after all the extra effort i took setting up my ghetto aircooler.

Well the reaction was expected kinda went like this-

Him - urgh tastes like home brew

Me- Yeah because you know it is

Him- tastes like s&it

Me- why what dont you like

Him- well everything its nothing like Vb

Me- Its not supposed to be

Him- It tastes like f*&$in grapes

Me- ........Grapes?

..............Where did you get grape from?

Him- You have it it tastes off

Me- ohh righto

I personally think there is a stigma attached to home brew, where people make up their mind about what it will be like before trying the beer, i know i have tasted some shockers, mainstream and home brew, doesn't stop me trying any beer with an open mind.

Well anyway turns out he didn't like my cooking either.

Cheers wink

Me- why what don't you like

Him- well everything its nothing like Vb

Better answer - "Wow' date=' pops, thanks very much! A man of taste!"

However, I sympathise. Doesn't like your beer, doesn't like your cooking - but does he like YOU? [img']cool[/img] (apart from your obvious shortcomings in the food & drink department)

Hi Ryan C1.

I wholeheartedly agree with the comments posted thus far by my co-forum brewing comrades. That said, I understand the want to impress others of the megaswill ilk of your brewing prowess. In your case this seems to be your father-in-law.

I admit it took me a little time to find it, but I remembered a very good thread here on the Coopers forum that discussed this very beer & beer style.

Mega Swill Beer

I personally took the time to re-read all the posts in the thread. I admit I miss a number of the guys that posted in that thread, as most are not around the place these days. sad

Take note of post#20, Ryan C1. The recipe listed in that post was widely regarded as a pretty good kit based rip off of the VB beer recipe. Those that brewed it, said it received good reviews from those megaswilling swines that it was brewed for! tongue

I hope you find the information useful.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Yeah not too worried that he didn't like it because i'd rather get an opinion off someone who has tried more than 3 beers in their lifetime (Vb, Carlton Mid and Crownies(VB in a better bottle)) as for the food try this recipe out if your a seafood fan

Diced Onion

Sliced Spring Onion

Sliced Mushroom

Diced Bacon

2 tbls Minced Garlic

1/2 Lemon / Full Lime

Splash of white wine

1 cup thickened cream

1kg Seafood marinara mix ($14 coles, calamari, basa, prawn, mussels and scalops)

Pack fettuccine

Simple, brown bacon, add mushroom, onion, spring onion and garlic, sweat until onion is soft.

Add Marinara mix still frozen is fine, and squeeze lemon/lime, splash of wine, put lid on fry pan, cook until basa is cooked, add cream stir occasionally until cream has thickened back up, cook pasta strain and add to sauce. Goes perfect with garlic bread and a home brew.. Perfect restaurant food for about $16 serves 4.

Alright Beerlust had a look at the recipe and decided against making it, purely because i would probably be left drinking a beer clone without liking the original, i did come up with a ripper plan to see whether he doesn't like my beer because i made it though.

Step 1 Invite them for dinner

Step 2 Tell him i made an awesome beer i want him to try

Step 3 pour him a VB in a glass and see what his reaction is

At least if anything i will know where i stand.

basa

The Vietnamese sewer fish would lose a lot of people.

Feel free to substitute, or catch fresh. Personally I'm not a fan of the way basa is farmed either, i buy wild caught fish 99% of the time, but i think you would be hard pressed to find many fish products that aren't basa e.g. fish fingers, fillets, seafood mixes, crab sticks, seafood salad, fish cakes, pretty much all processed fish except where otherwise stated will contain the cheapest commercially available fish, unfortunately that's what happens when we aussies change from producers to consumers.

had a similar experience with a family member "never tasted a decent home brew yet "(dad) now he comes up and asks if ive got any more of that "pale ale gear"

Yeah my old man isn't much of a beer drinker but he likes my hb too, always said he's had worse, so i take that as a compliment. Then i have another mate who brews and says my beer is the best hb he has tasted, all a matter of opinion really.

Hey Ryan,

I love this thread you have started.

That pasta marinara recipe is tops.

Yeah, give the gf's father a glass of VB and tell him it's homebrew.

Let us know his opinion.

Or, rather ditch the the old bloke completely. And his daughter, too.

If she really loves you mate, she will stick with you.love

Hey Ryan' date='

Yeah, give the gf's father a glass of VB and tell him it's homebrew.

Let us know his opinion.

Or, rather ditch the the old bloke completely. And his daughter, too.

[/quote']

I pissed myself laughing just thinking what he will say when he tastes the vb and he'll say it tastes like shit just because. As for the daughter just payed our final payment on the wedding on the 4-5-14... starwars day apparently since everyone keeps telling me, $13500 for one day small wedding 50 people 40 of them family members wanting free food and drink.... should be fun.

Slightly off topic but... I thought my first brew that I made in November (1 can of Mangrove Jack's classic blonde & 1kg of dex) was the blandest thing I had ever tasted.

Until a couple of weeks ago when I bought a carton of Coors. Man that beer is bland and the Yanks/Canucks love it! Enough said.

• 4 months later...

Dragging up and old post here, but its the same person involved...

On Saturday my partner and I went to a party had to leave the kids with her father for two hours. All was good nice sunny day when we got home i offered him a beer.. After knocking me back a few times i just got him a APA and told him to stop sooking and have it they're good...

Well i'm smashing mine down half way through a schooner as he is still pouring his, sniff sniff looking at it, has a little taste screws his face up spits it out and says how can you drink that s%^t.. Haha i peed myself laughing knowing all along he wasn't going to like it and even if he did he wouldnt tell me.. I put his in the fridge and drank mine playing with the kids..

Hour or so later i poured a schooner out of his leftovers had a mouthfull spat that rubbish out and nearly spewed, had a look at the bottle and it had a scum ring 5mm wide and tasted like mouldy bandaids.. Had a laugh for about 40min thinking about what just happened, considering out of 30 bottles that was the only one with a scum ring, and it went to him of all people, and it was completely coincidence.

Funny story!

It goes to show show some people simply don't want to stray from the well worn path, it also shows that when you try, the beer gods have a strange way of protecting your precious brew from potential drinkers/thieves of said brew.!

Cheers

Guzz

Hey Chezza

Two things spring to mind

Either your Father in Law is a Real Hard Arse or your homebrew isn't as good as you think lol

OK so he's a real hard arse. My XXXX Gold mega swill mate came over the other night and I poured him Four Shades of Stout to which he said "Stout, erk I don't like Stout". He tasted it and said "That's different". He drank the lot and said "That wasn't to bad".

Keep trying you'll get him, probably when you start kegging.

Cheers

Scottie

or your homebrew isn't as good as you think lol

I've done some shockers' date=' drank nearly everyone of them so i guess i have a forgiving palate, lately because the temps have been down i have been making some of my nicest beers....

Keep trying you'll get him, probably when you start kegging

Yeah that + a dedicated brewing fridge + ag setup + non kit yeast + ripper recipe + proper sanitation

• 4 months later...
Slightly off topic but... I thought my first brew that I made in November (1 can of Mangrove Jack's classic blonde & 1kg of dex) was the blandest thing I had ever tasted.

Until a couple of weeks ago when I bought a carton of Coors. Man that beer is bland and the Yanks/Canucks love it! Enough said.

I tried them all while I was living in the US and the worst by a country mile are the "lite" variants, Bud Light, Miller Light, Coors Light etc. Had a mate that bought only Busch Lite. Great guy but every time we went over to his place I purposely took way too much pale ale or IPA or whatever was good from the local micro breweries to leave there. He loved them but still kept going back to Busch. At least he had an open mind about it and regularly takes the piss out of himself over his choice of beverage; very un-American indeed.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Fellas,

I think i have reached my first great milestone in my brewing history.. I finally got the prick to appreciate one of my home brews.. w00t

I had the outlaws over last night for a touch of babysitting while i took the missus out for a date night, movies and dinner if anyone was interested...

Anyways, when we got home her old man finished his last beer and i twisted his arm to stay for a hb, (he asked for a glass of water aswell in case he didn't like it) so i pulled these two schooner glasses out of the freezer along with my home brew, poured crystal clear, nice thick head. Schniff schniff closed his eyes took a gob full then......surprised nodded and let out a hrmm not bad... Well i nearly fell over.. I was trying to work out who was more surprised, me that he actually liked one or him that i could make one he liked.

The recipe that got him was... wait for it....

Heritage Lager

1kg dme

Fermented at 17

cc'd for 5 days

BOTTLED FOR 1 WEEK whistling

On a side note I find it extremely disappointing going out with out the kids for once and then seeing things they would absolutely love doing or seeing, and spending the entire night feeling like you have left something behind...

Really, Cheddar? He liked it? No whey!

I can only assume, btw, your kids are still very young (hence I suppose the need for him babysitting, and the fact you felt guilty about actually enjoying yourself). Believe me when I suggest both of these outcomes will pass sooner than you think. In fact, soon you'll be staying awake all night trying to work out ways you can enjoy yourself, and they will all revolve that not only your kids will be miserable but will also have their lives at risk.

All the best mate and well done (I don't have to ask if you curd post the recipe 'cos you already have)

Phillo

Glad to hear you got through to him Chezza.

I've had the same problem with my father in law too, where he either refuses to try my beers, or when he does try it, he pre-emptively screws up his nose in disgust before he even takes a sip.

I left about half a carton of my beers in his fridge a few weeks back, and when I went back down there the other day, they were all gone.

Turns out that he ran out of all of his store-bought beer, so he figured he'd try mine due to a lack of any other options. He actually admitted that he liked it.

Keep in mind that this is the same beer that he'd tried a couple of weeks earlier which he'd turned his nose up to.

I think you're definitely right about some people having preconceived ideas about homebrew rather than judging them on their individual merit.

Archived