Coopers Community

The Best Mega Swill

Scottie

What is your definition of mega swill? .

Beats me; its a term I only learnt here

Is it just a beer made by the big breweries?.

From what I can gather that sums it up.

The blurb says its hand crafted (but all of Cascades brews say that) using three hops bittering, flavour and aroma. Anyways its a Cascade and being a southerner I'm glad they turned out a nice drop, albeit only 5000 cases.

I tried a Cascade Pale Ale a few weeks ago and it was quite bland. Not horrible at all but very plain.

Yep, I used to drink it but now I realise it is just a boring Lager. Did try the new Cascade Premium Lager at LaPorchetta on Tuesday night, didn't live up to the hype but possible the best beer on the menu.

This is a rhetorical question?

An oxy-moron?

A contradiction in terms?

A myth surely?

If the term "Mega Swill" is governed by commercial volumes produced & sold to a certain level above those produced by any brewery classed as a "craft" brewery, then the ENTIRE Coopers range wins hands down!

I've tasted the Cascade beer you speak of, & admit it is a fairly nice beer, & a pity that the brewery doesn't seem to want to invest in any way further in this area of brewing beers with extended & more bold flavours.

Coopers for the win here for me (and easily!). rightful

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi Hairy. happy

SWMBO won two stubbies in a beer ticket machine at the local bottleshop and chose two of these. Its top fermented' date=' hoppy and balanced. Who'da thought.[/quote']

Under the Mega Swill criteria I suggested, what would you choose?

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi Hairy. happy
SWMBO won two stubbies in a beer ticket machine at the local bottleshop and chose two of these. Its top fermented' date=' hoppy and balanced. Who'da thought.[/quote']

Under the Mega Swill criteria I suggested, what would you choose?

Cheers,

Anthony.

It depends on what is stocked at Scottie's local bottleshop.

And what is a beer ticket machine? unsure

The obvious avoidance to answering a given question is often accepted for the most part, as being a detraction away from an agreed viewpoint of a given subject. wink

Yes insert another wink..... wink

Pick a beer Hairy! lol

Cheers,

Anthony.

Refer to post #6

In the 'old days'' date=' you would say I had a "limited slip (differential)" moment.

Coopers Dark Ale is a better beer IMHO given the beer type & mega swill category.

Each to their own though. [img']innocent[/img]

Cheers,

Anthony.

I've been drinking JS Constable lately. Not sure if JS is megaswill though. In mid 2012, before i caught the HB bug, Hahn brought out a beer that they called "Harvest" in fact my first post was to ask if there was a clone for it. If i remember rightly, yob suggested i drink a stubby of SNPA and take a piss in a stubby and leave it for a few days in the sun. Yob had a way with words, I wonder if he will come back.

Yob had a way with words' date=' I wonder if he will come back.[/quote']

You may not have noticed but whenever posts from retailers or blatant advertisements have been posted, they are deleted ASAP.

Yob is now a retailer.rightful

A beer ticket machine is found in Tassie pubs and bottle shops, feed a $ in and you get five tickets - open them up and you have the chance to win 1, 2, 6, 12 or 24 stubbies. Surely you've got these in NSW Hairy. We've got Tooheys Old In Tassie, went out to a 50th tonight and did my usual scan of the beer fridge, had Guinness but didn't have a glass big enough to hold it so I opted for Tooheys Old.

It is in my top three Mega Swills; Cascade Stout, Cascade 1st Harvest, Tooheys Old.

I still reckon XXXX is by far the best megaswill in Australia.

Full of Queensland's massive production of cane sugar. Yum, yum.

Ask any Queenslander. And I am from NSW. They love the stuff up there.

My recipe for a XXXX clone would go something like this:

2.5kg CSR white cane sugar

0.5kg light DME

Some Pride of Ringwood hops (40g absolute maximum)

Any yeast

23 L. Ferment at 30C

Add perhaps a slurp of Parisian essence to give some colour.

Serve as cold as possible in pots. Give that to Queenslanders and I bet they will say it is better than the authentic product!

As for Tooheys Old, and I have been drinking it, off and on, for over 50 years.

It is just black coloured, flavoured water. The coal miners around here like it though.

Archived