Coopers Community

The Best Mega Swill

Scottie

I still reckon XXXX is by far the best megaswill in Australia.

Full of Queensland's massive production of cane sugar. Yum' date=' yum.

Ask any Queenslander. And I am from NSW. They love the stuff up there.

My recipe for a XXXX clone would go something like this:

2.5kg CSR white cane sugar

0.5kg light DME

Some Pride of Ringwood hops (40g absolute maximum)

Any yeast

23 L. Ferment at 30C

Add perhaps a slurp of Parisian essence to give some colour.

Serve as cold as possible in pots. Give that to Queenslanders and I bet they will say it is better than the authentic product! [/quote']

Is someone going to give this a go?

As for Tooheys Old' date=' and I have been drinking it, off and on, for over 50 years.

It is just black coloured, flavoured water. The coal miners around here like it though.[/quote']

I don't drink it much anymore but it was a staple back in the day.

It isn't a full bodied beer but rather a light bodied, sessionable, easy to drink, mid-range ABV beer.

So yes, black coloured flavoured water biggrin

It isn't a full bodied beer but rather a light bodied' date=' sessionable, easy to drink, mid-range ABV beer. So yes, black coloured flavoured water [img']biggrin[/img]

I give you your dues Hairy, of all on this forum, you do have the most eloquent way of describing even the most boring things! Bahaha! lol (All respect meant)

Cheers,

Anthony.

The whole premise of this thread is an oxy-moron! whistling

Of all the threads that have been sent to "Siberia"' date=' I'm amazed this one still survives! Haha! [img']lol[/img]

No offence meant Scottie. (pure jest!) wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

lol The beauty of this new forum, Siberia is on the front page. In days of old when Brewers were bold Beer Banter posts disappeared to Siberia in no time at all.

I can think of many contenders for best beer "Mega Swill"...

but

Have we established the definition of "Mega Swill" yet?

Are we only looking at beer brewed in Australia?

If it is related to annual beer volume that a brewery produces, what's the cut-off - 1million, 6million, 20million, 100million litres per annum?

Once we have established this, does a brewery qualify for "non-mega-swill status" if it is below the volume cut-off (defined by above) but is owned by a Behemoth Brewing Company?

In reply to the OP - Being a Tassie boy and all, I've felt compelled to buy First Harvest every year. Even though it's a nice beer, in recent years I've found myself a little deflated and saying I think they could do more with the hop schedule. That said, I'm odds on to buy the 2014 sideways

I can think of many contenders for best beer "Mega Swill"...

You kid surely! Hehe! tongue

Have we established the definition of "Mega Swill" yet?

Are we only looking at beer brewed in Australia?

If it is related to annual beer volume that a brewery produces' date=' what's the cut-off - 1million, 6million, 20million, 100million litres per annum?[/quote']

Information on commercial brewing license categories is not easy to find PB2, so I'll take those numbers you quoted as being the different levels for commercial brewing. Given those levels, mega swill obviously falls into the 100 million litre+ category from my prospective.

Once we have established this' date=' does a brewery qualify for "non-mega-swill status" if it is below the volume cut-off (defined by above) but is owned by a Behemoth Brewing Company?[/quote']

If the beer they produce is at a volume lower than 100 million litres per year, then I say, YES. rightful

...Being a Tassie boy and all' date=' I've felt compelled to buy First Harvest every year. Even though it's a nice beer, in recent years I've found myself a little deflated and saying I think they could do more with the hop schedule. That said, I'm odds on to buy the 2014 [img']sideways[/img]

I recently tried their repackaged 6x4pk range of beers, blindly believing they might be attempting to produce a better class of beer as the brewery was respected for in its earlier days. I was wrong. sad

Cheers,

Anthony.

Archived