Coopers Community

Coopers Draught No More?

Gazz

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard there's a product going around called "Cooper's Lager", which I presume is the new name for Cooper's Regency Draught.

And that "Regency" has been dropped from the light.

There's nothing on the website about any change, and the Draught and Light still have the "Regency" tag on the product info area of the website.

Yes,

Coopers have launched two new premium lager beers to replace Regency Draught and Regency Light as part of a shake-up of our lager beer portfolio. These products are NEW and not simply a change of name.

Both Coopers Lager and Coopers Premium Light will be available in bottles, cans and on tap.

This week product was released to South Australia, other states may follow later.

Check out the NEWS section to read the press release for further information and tasting notes.

You were too quick for me - I was uploading the press release when we saw your message.

The website will also be updated over the next 2 days to reflect the new products.

If you're in SA - get out there and ask your nearest bottle shop or hotel to try them !!! The lager is nice and crisp and the Light is full of flavour.

Cheers

Claire

• 8 years later...

Hi guys.

I love digging up some of the old threads on the forum! This one even had some dust on it! wink

Rather than post a new one, I thought this thread was relevant.

In my younger more formative years of drinking commercial beer, I took a liking to Coopers Draught. When I began drinking it, that is what it was called. The "Regency" tag (mentioned above) came along a bit later.

Coopers_Draught_Label.jpg

Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on your point of view) it, & the Coopers (Standard) Light were phased out & replaced with "Premium" tagged products being the Premium Lager, & Premium Light that exist today. Personally I feel it was phased out because Coopers couldn't quite gain the market share they were looking for with it, given the popularity of mainly West End Draught & VB at the time. A little sad from my end at the time, but understandable.

I'm feeling a little bit nostalgic, & would really enjoy a chance to reminisce in a beer drinking sense.

Is there anyone on the forum that has a ridgy-didge recipe for the original commercial version of Coopers Draught?

PB2, surely there has to be something factual you could get your hands on there at the brewery, that Coopers would see no harm in releasing, being that the beer is no longer being commercially brewed? whistling

Here's hoping for something. wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

You want "Factual"?! Wouldn't know where to look or who to ask sideways

However, from what I can work out, our Draught (this name always annoys the beer geek in me) was quite a simple brew comprising Pale Malt, Dark Crystal and PoR then fermented with a Dortmunder Yeast (this is a big guess based on Maxwell Cooper's first commercial lager, Gold Crown, being a Dortmunder Export style).

I assume it would have been brewed to numbers that allow for high gravity fermentation and then diluted to the correct alcohol content (4.5%ABV) in the lager cellar - but this is only a guess tongue

You want "Factual"?! Wouldn't know where to look or who to ask sideways

However' date=' from what I can work out, our Draught (this name always annoys the beer geek in me) was quite a simple brew comprising Pale Malt, Dark Crystal and PoR then fermented with a Dortmunder Yeast (this is a big guess based on Maxwell Cooper's first commercial lager, Gold Crown, being a Dortmunder Export style).

I assume it would have been brewed to numbers that allow for high gravity fermentation and then diluted to the correct alcohol content (4.5%ABV) in the lager cellar - but this is only a guess [img']tongue[/img]

You are a treasure on this forum PB2. That isn't a "suck up", it's just a fact. rightful

I remember the view of it in the glass, & am not surprised with your summation of the use of "Dark Crystal" in the grain mix, I sort of expected it. wink Beyond that, I admit I have NFI of what else went into making the beer.

Our fav sales rep (that grows the best Burt Reynolds Mo for the Movember charity period) is old enough to possibly know of those still around the brewery that may have some ideas.

BTW Paul, have you run into him lately? unsure

All that aside, I'm appreciative that you have provided some suggestions about how to possibly brew the original Coopers Commercial Draught. cool

Care to take that a step further, & offer up a full recipe suggestion? whistling

P.S. I admit your suggestion of the use of the Dortmunder yeast was a HUGE & unexpected surprise! surprised

Cheers,

Anthony.

The players who should have some idea have most likely brain dumped long ago.pinched The Leabrook days are long gone...sad

The amount of Dark Crystal would only be a smidge. Something like 1.5% of the total grist. I'm guessing the bitterness was in the mid to low 20s.

Plucking out of the air...

OS Lager

1kg Light Dry Malt

70g Dark Crystal

10g PoR

Made to 24litres

Steep the crystal, strain and mix with 500g of LDM topped up to 5 litres and bring to the boil then add the PoR for 10mins and remove from the heat.

Ferment with WLP830 (or similar) at 13C

Hi PB2.

The players who should have some idea have most likely brain dumped long ago.pinched The Leabrook days are long gone...sad

The amount of Dark Crystal would only be a smidge. Something like 1.5% of the total grist. I'm guessing the bitterness was in the mid to low 20s.

Plucking out of the air...

OS Lager

1kg Light Dry Malt

70g Dark Crystal

10g PoR

Made to 24litres

Steep the crystal' date=' strain and mix with 500g of LDM topped up to 5 litres and bring to the boil then add the PoR for 10mins and remove from the heat.

Ferment with WLP830 (or similar) at 13C [/quote']

Thanks for the recipe suggestion. smile

I'll get hold of some POR & German Lager yeast & give it a whirl. Just one thing, could I sub the 70gms of Dark Crystal for approx. 120gms of Medium Crystal to achieve the same EBC? Or will there be a noticeable flavour difference in the beer (due to the differing levels of caramelisation of the two grains) by doing this? unsure

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi Skookum.

I like a good Dortmunder Export. It's pretty much the only Lager I brew. I use two packets of W34/70. I'll look for my recipe if you like. It's AG though.sideways

You mean this one...

Dortmunder Export Lager (Post#284)

I'm really after a specific flavour with this one. That being the Coopers Draught that I remember. PB2's recipe suggestion is a fairly simple one to put together as well. Two lagers is probably enough for me again this year once that's done. tongue

They take soo long to be ready for drinking! pinched

Thanks for the thought on this one though. wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

Yup. That's the one.

No offence to PB2's suggestion but I'd try an AG or PM something like mine instead of the Lager kit. You can change up the hop schedule from Hallertau to PoR and sub Crystal 40L for 120L.

Sorry, I don't care for the Lager kit.

BTW, I don't know the old style Cooper's Draught that you speak of but I do know Dortmunder Export style beers. I also have sampled Cooper's Premium Lager. Not to say that these beer are the same brew that you are after.

These bloody Canadians. Nag, nag, nag, picky, picky, picky! devildevil

How you been Chad? Probably living it up with the pick of your year's weather?

I'd agree that the Lager kit (with the included yeast) is a bit uninspiring and probably a great brew for inclusion in the DIY Starter Kit since its almost foolproof and makes drinkable beer. I've only done it twice now (first brew and one with some LDM added as well). But I do want to try it in different ways soon eg., using a proper lager yeast with some of the traditional European Lager hops (Hallertau, Spalt, Tettnanger etc etc). I suspect the correct combo could really make it a winner.

I think I got this phrasing from one of the high volume posters here (not sure which, might have been Hairy or Lustful)) who said he sees it as an almost blank canvas. It just needs some of the right ingredients to make a really nice picture.

However, I'd also not be surprised if you need to go AG or PM to get a very close clone to the Coopers Draught).

Be good and behave

Phillis

How you been Chad? Probably living it up with the pick of your year's weather?

I've been doing just fine thanks! The weather has been very nice around here this week with temps in the low 30's and Thunder showers in the afternoon to cool things of a bit for the evening. The mosquitoes have been rather tame up til now but I think that their day is still to come.annoyed.

Be good and behave

Will do' date=' Phil! I can't be too good with all this beer in the basement![img']devil[/img]devil

They take soo long to be ready for drinking! pinched

This is why I only do a couple of batches of lager a year' date=' they tie up the fridge for too bloody long![img']lol[/img]

I'm only doing one this year because of the temp controller failure, because by the time it's ready to bottle it will be warm enough to start fermenting ales again.

I am interested to see how this one of yours turns out though. cool

I think I got this phrasing from one of the high volume posters here (not sure which' date=' might have been Hairy or Lustful)) who said he sees it as an almost blank canvas. It just needs some of the right ingredients to make a really nice picture.[/quote']

It wasn't Hairy.

Hairy isn't a fan of the OS Lager kit.

I think I got this phrasing from one of the high volume posters here (not sure which' date=' might have been Hairy or Lustful)) who said he sees it as an almost blank canvas. It just needs some of the right ingredients to make a really nice picture.[/quote']

It wasn't Hairy.

Hairy isn't a fan of the OS Lager kit.

It wasn't 'Lustful' either.

He hasn't brewed that kit in a very long time.

Cheers,

Anthony.

No offence to PB2's suggestion but I'd try an AG or PM something like mine instead of the Lager kit. You can change up the hop schedule from Hallertau to PoR and sub Crystal 40L for 120L.
No offence taken smile

I threw a kit based recipe forward because the majority of people who make their own beer (and read this forum) make it from kits.

Based on the ingredients we used at that time, an all grain recipe might be:

4.5kg Pale Malt

70g Dark Crystal

Single step mash in 15 litres of liquor (strike temp around 75C) at 67C for 90mins

90 min boil

25g PoR pellets with 60mins to go

Total brew volume to 22 litres

Ferment with WLP830 (or lager yeast of your choice) at 13C

No offence taken smile

I threw a kit based recipe forward because the majority of people who make their own beer (and read this forum) make it from kits.

Based on the ingredients we used at that time' date=' an all grain recipe might be:

4.5kg Pale Malt

70g Dark Crystal

Single step mash in 15 litres of liquor (strike temp around 75C) at 67C for 90mins

90 min boil

25g PoR pellets with 60mins to go

Total brew volume to 22 litres

Ferment with WLP830 (or lager yeast of your choice) at 13C[/quote']

Haha! Nice response PB2! lol

Interesting that your AG version only uses a bittering addition PB2, & your kit based version uses a late addition of POR.

Not a criticism, simply an observation. Based on that, I just wondered what your thoughts might be on how a sole bittering addition might transfer some flavour/perhaps aroma aspects into the final beer? unsure Because the kit based version with it's 10 minute addition certainly would right?

Also, any thoughts on my question about caramelisation flavour if using 120gms of medium crystal in place of the 70gms of dark crystal?

Cheers,

Anthony.

Archived