Coopers Community

Reusable Stubbies

Otto Von Blotto

The latest Aldi catalogue in the junk mail showed they have Flensburger Pilsener and Weizen on sale $15 for a 6-pack.

Hi Adam, they look good, but up here in QLD, you cant beer in supermarkets so Aldi don't have a grog section.

When you come to queensland you have to turn your watch back an hour and turn your mind back 20 years[crying]

So I went to Dans again today and picked up a couple of sixers of Sierra Nevada (Pale and Torpedo), and also grabbed 3 500mL bottles: Spitfire, Hobgoblin and Old Hooky on Nick's recommendation. I've had Spitfire a few times and rather enjoy it so that one is something I now get more for the bottles as I know and enjoy the flavour so it's always a pleaser. Drinking the Old Hooky now and it's similar, but fuller bodied, a bit like Old Speckled Hen without the creamy head. Has a bit more of a fruity aroma to it too. Quite enjoying this one as well. I have the Hobgoblin in the fridge to sample tomorrow so no comment on that yet but going by the description on the bottle it should be a nice brew as well. And I'll be keeping the bottles of course. [cool]

+1 to all of the above. My SWMBO likes the Rekoderlig winter cider. It's not too sweet like the rest of them, with a bit of spice. I have a few of those in my collection.

I ended up buying 24 of the Flensburger beers. 2 x 6pack of Pilsner and 2 x 6pack of Weizen. The Weizen is bloody nice. The Pilsner I'm not overly impressed by - Czech Pilsener is heaps better than German Pils IMO.

They're fantastic bottles. Now I just have to empty them [bandit]

i have a contact with a heap of old school stubbies.. im grabbing 6doz for myself.. if anyone is keen.. they are 10c each...

must be based in adelaide..

all are refillable stubbies from 335-375 sizes.

If you were in Brisbane you could have all these leftover stubbies that I got for the wedding brews thanks to my little cock-up of brewing the wrong batch which was actually the right batch and then bottling into my own bottles because I thought it was the wrong batch. Fortunately, I'm planning on chucking those bottles anyway as part of my conversion of all brewery bottles to Sierra stubbies (aside from a small number of various 500mL bottles). [lol]

sorry.. Kelsey.. can you please repeat that... ive not had enough beer yet to understand.. [roll]

so.. wrong beer = right beer...

used your bottles thinking it was going to be your beer..

bought/sourced bottles for the wedding seperate?

changing to all one bottle. the sierra nevada bottles...

?

[lol] [lol]

Yeah, basically I threw a batch in the FV a couple of weeks ago. It was intended to be a batch for the wedding. When I threw it in, I thought it was the wrong batch because it looked darker than I thought. So, I didn't bother washing any of the sourced (free) bottles which I was going to use to bottle the wedding batch.

Then today I tipped in the other cube thinking it was the right batch, and it turned out to be the one I thought I'd brewed and bottled, so the original one was the right one all along. [pinched]

I bottled it into XXXX stubbies which I'm chucking out.

Basically, I'm throwing out all my twist top stubbies, I am changing all bottles to SN stubbies, aside from a few 500mL bottles for pints.

So it's no biggie and saved me a heap of washing really... [lol]

ill give " old mate" a call and find out what he has got left and sort it out for ya :)

I should have been clearer, the ones I'm after are the 375ml ones only, like the old heavy, pry-off pickaxe bottles. I've got plenty of 330/345ml bottles. They're a wee bit too small, and I'd love to add to my collection of the old ones.

I should have been clearer' date=' the ones I'm after are the 375ml ones only, like the old heavy, pry-off pickaxe bottles. I've got plenty of 330/345ml bottles. They're a wee bit too small, and I'd love to add to my collection of the old ones.[/quote']Good luck finding those bottles Philbo! [roll]

Pretty much the entire craft brewing industry bottles in 330ml'ers & the commercial brewing industry has been bottling in screw tops for a decade or two now.

If you do manage to find some 375ml'ers that aren't screw top, I'm betting the owner of them has as much dust on him as the bottles themselves! [lol] [tongue] [wink]

[biggrin]

Anthony.

ill give " old mate" a call and find out what he has got left and sort it out for ya :)

I should have been clearer, the ones I'm after are the 375ml ones only, like the old heavy, pry-off pickaxe bottles. I've got plenty of 330/345ml bottles. They're a wee bit too small, and I'd love to add to my collection of the old ones.

ill be clear... Ive got ALL of them already ;) :P

only the mixed sizes left :P but ill see if there is any others left...

I should have been clearer' date=' the ones I'm after are the 375ml ones only, like the old heavy, pry-off pickaxe bottles. I've got plenty of 330/345ml bottles. They're a wee bit too small, and I'd love to add to my collection of the old ones.[/quote']Good luck finding those bottles Philbo! [roll]

Pretty much the entire craft brewing industry bottles in 330ml'ers & the commercial brewing industry has been bottling in screw tops for a decade or two now.

If you do manage to find some 375ml'ers that aren't screw top, I'm betting the owner of them has as much dust on him as the bottles themselves! [lol] [tongue] [wink]

[biggrin]

Anthony.

I know mate, but over the last few years I've managed to collect 3-400 of them in really good nick. They are the main bottle I use, and the most recent stash was only a year and a half ago.

So don't [roll] me mate, I still have hope! [tongue]

picked up 80 "RED BACK" 345ml stubies today.. and another dozen or so of the pick axe bottles...

guys got green/clear bottles left. in 6 weeks time though he is taking them all into to the recycles.. so.. ive got 6 weeks to decide if i get a batch of green bottles for ciders.. or stay happy with the 200+ reusable stubbies ive gotten from him already.. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't called to see if they are still available but there is someone selling 400 375ml pickaxes at Morphett Vale on Gum Tree. $80 or $0.20 each. It was only listed last week so they might still be there. I'd grab them but I already have about 180 coopers twist tops and about that many again long necks. I am not sure that SWMBO would appreciate half a tank of fuel used on a trip to Morphett Vale to buy more beer bottles. It almost doubles the price and for $0.42 I can get Coopers (and the odd pickaxe)750 ml bottles from a local recycler - I am sure that I will come to regret this decision though.