Coopers Community

Reusable Stubbies

Otto Von Blotto

I have been on a similar quest for good reusable stubbies :)

I can report the Vale Lgr now appears in a standard bottle, marked 'no refill'.

However, Moo Brew which is in a 300g approx bottle is also marked 'no refill'; and I note a packaging site lists various beer bottles between 200-280g and they all are rated at 4 carbonation volumes... so perhaps there is no direct link between the 'no refill' badge, the weight, and the carbonation volume rating?

Crown Lager was also going to be a preference, but I gather they are now twist top! What's the world coming too...

I haven't tried them yet, but I think Little Pipsqueak and White Rabbit bottles are not badged 'no refill', as was the Pepperjack Ale bottles, an old Taverner's mead bottle I had... what this actually means in terms of bottle weight and durability is another thing?

Still looking :)

What's the website you found that info on mate?

I've always thought the 'no refill' was more of a sanitation and cleanliness thing, in the sense that these days you can't return bottles to be reused like you could in days gone by. At least it used to be when my dad worked in packaging. I can see why the modern twist top bottles wouldn't withstand commercial cleaning operations time and time again because they do appear to be quite thin and flimsy; even though they are rated at 4 volumes or whatever it is, they'd be easily weakened or broken. At home though, it's nowhere near as rigorous.

Personally I use Sierra Nevada stubbies. They're about the same size (355mL) and similar shape as a Fourex or Tooheys stubby, but they are pry off. They have served me well.smile

Cheers

• Like 1

• 9 years later...
On 8/21/2013 at 7:01 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

I got a few bottles of Spitfire Kentish Ale as well, they are 500mL, the only thing is they are clear bottles. I do want a few 500mL bottles so I can use my pint glass properly if I feel like a pint. Also got a SN Harvest which I'll be trying tomorrow. [biggrin]

Did you try those Spitfire bottles, Otto? I have a few of those in my collection (it was my favourite of the ales I sampled in England).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah, they worked fine. Just made sure to keep them stored in a dark place.

Cheers. Have you tried Spitfire Gold yet? Very tasty although both could do with a little carbonation.

• Like 1

These are light 375ml bundaberg stubbies. I've been using them for about 5 years . Yet to have one explode, and I've primed a few   23litre batches with 250grams of sugar.

When they make them they would add a safety margin relating to pressure as mentioned they are heavy duty because the bottling process is rough on bottles. 

The asali are a heavy duty 330 ML.

The old Coopers long necks were great. The newer light weight ones will be fine too.

I've found twist tops often leak

Stubby 2.jpg

Stubby 1.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

These are light 375ml bundaberg stubbies. I've been using them for about 5 years . Yet to have one explode, and I've primed a few   23litre batches with 250grams of sugar.

When they make them they would add a safety margin relating to pressure as mentioned they are heavy duty because the bottling process is rough on bottles. 

The asali are a heavy duty 330 ML.

The old Coopers long necks were great. The newer light weight ones will be fine too.

I've found twist tops often leak

Stubby 2.jpg

Stubby 1.jpg

I never had any issues with twist tops but I did not reuse the lids like I know some people do. I always put fresh caps on each time and never had any leaks. In the end, I did prefer pry open bottles though.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Aussiekraut said:

I never had any issues with twist tops but I did not reuse the lids like I know some people do. I always put fresh caps on each time and never had any leaks. In the end, I did prefer pry open bottles though.

I never bothered with stubbies when I bottled too small, waste of time, I have got Grolsch Swingtops 450ml & German Heffe' 500ml, to me any smaller is too much work - especially for a mouthful.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

That's odd. I had about 10% leak. A mate did too. I used new caps. I wonder the bells on the bottlers vary in size or whatever?

I used a Brigalow bench capper. Those 2 handed cappers are dangerous and the best way to either snap a bottle neck or make a helluva mess when things slip 🙂 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I used a Brigalow bench capper. Those 2 handed cappers are dangerous and the best way to either snap a bottle neck or make a helluva mess when things slip 🙂 

You are not wrong; somebody gave me one once with a whole lot of other stuff that was sitting around in their shed, I tried it a few times & ended up chucking it, now I still have 3 x bench cappers taking up room.

8 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

You are not wrong; somebody gave me one once with a whole lot of other stuff that was sitting around in their shed, I tried it a few times & ended up chucking it, now I still have 3 x bench cappers taking up room.

testing 123, sorry this site would not post my comment, only came up with saving but it never uploaded so jumped in this thread to see if the bug was thread specific.  My test posted here so went back to other thread and it also posted ok so looks like it has cleared itself.  Sorry to OP for this intrusion.

If you want to use crown seals use crown seal bottles, you will need a twist on sealer to use them on twist top bottles.  You only have to look at the difference between the twist top bottles and crown seal bottles to see what I am talking about.  Some people use crown seals on twist top bottles without any apparent issues so maybe they were lucky in their technique.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

@Oldbloke I also used to get a few leaks on twist tops so found as many crown seal bottles as I could. I did not know there was different cappers for twist top bottles thanks @iBooz2, although now I keg its not a big deal. 

Also like @Classic Brewing Co I prefer bigger bottles and rarely use the stock I have collected. I wont be in a hurry to give any away as I worked hard to collect the old coopers longnecks before switched to the new lightweight. I also like the German 500ml crown seal bottles they are sturdy and great to use. I figure ill make up a few batches to bottle and age now the weather is cooling great to travel with or in case of kegerator failure.

For those that want to use crown seals on twist top stubbies etc. get one of these twist off bottle openers.

First you cap the stubbie with a crown seal cap using a bell capper as normal, then use this twist off bottle opener to give the cap just a little twist to screw it on that tiny bit more.  Does not take much but usually ensures a better seal.

Bottle Opener.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

For those that want to use crown seals on twist top stubbies etc. get one of these twist off bottle openers.

First you cap the stubbie with a crown seal cap using a bell capper as normal, then use this twist off bottle opener to give the cap just a little twist to screw it on that tiny bit more.  Does not take much but usually ensures a better seal.

Bottle Opener.PNG

Where were you years ago when I was bottling and struggled for a good seal. I used to try and pinch it tighter with pliers and they were probably the ones that leaked. 

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 2

I used to have a few twist top stubbies in the rotation and never had any problems, however it could be due to using a drill press to crimp the crown seals on them so they were definitely on 🤣 I gradually shifted to the pry off ones though, mainly because they were easier to crimp the seals over. 

1 hour ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Oldbloke I also used to get a few leaks on twist tops so found as many crown seal bottles as I could. I did not know there was different cappers for twist top bottles thanks @iBooz2, although now I keg its not a big deal. 

Also like @Classic Brewing Co I prefer bigger bottles and rarely use the stock I have collected. I wont be in a hurry to give any away as I worked hard to collect the old coopers longnecks before switched to the new lightweight. I also like the German 500ml crown seal bottles they are sturdy and great to use. I figure ill make up a few batches to bottle and age now the weather is cooling great to travel with or in case of kegerator failure.

Really??

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have about 12 boxes x 12 bottles of Coopers Longnecks stacked up here if you want them.

If your patient someone will take them. I wouldn't toss them out. Perhaps try the LHBS. A customer might want some.

14 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

If your patient someone will take them. I wouldn't toss them out. Perhaps try the LHBS. A customer might want some.

There is about the same amount in the shed as well as 10 boxes of Pet's. I could get 10c each for the glass bottles from the Recycling Depot if no one wants them.