Coopers Community

Reusable Stubbies

Otto Von Blotto

14 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

There is about the same amount in the shed as well as 10 boxes of Pet's. I could get 10c each for the glass bottles from the Recycling Depot if no one wants them.

Don't dump the Coopers longnecks as they are great bottles and now extinct!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

There is about the same amount in the shed as well as 10 boxes of Pet's. I could get 10c each for the glass bottles from the Recycling Depot if no one wants them.

Seems a terrible waste to me. LHBS mate

I used those Bundie Ginger Beer bottles when I first started brewing.

I think it was cider I had in them when they started exploding one night. Haven't used them since.
It was probably over primed.

I generally use 330ml proper crown top bottles.

The other week I was out for a walk around the neighbourhood and spotted a couple of longnecks amongst a heap of stuff, put out for a council pick up next day. I left them as I don't usually use longnecks. But on the way back I couldn't help myself and picked them up.
One is stamped as 1952. I'm glad I picked it up now. Such a shame for something like that to be chucked.

Last time I went to my LHBS there were milk crates full of empty longnecks outside.
I presume that's where they go when people don't want them.

Edited by Graculus

12 hours ago, Graculus said:

I used those Bundie Ginger Beer bottles when I first started brewing.

I think it was cider I had in them when they started exploding one night. Haven't used them since.
It was probably over primed.

I generally use 330ml proper crown top bottles.

The other week I was out for a walk around the neighbourhood and spotted a couple of longnecks amongst a heap of stuff, put out for a council pick up next day. I left them as I don't usually use longnecks. But on the way back I couldn't help myself and picked them up.
One is stamped as 1952. I'm glad I picked it up now. Such a shame for something like that to be chucked.

Last time I went to my LHBS there were milk crates full of empty longnecks outside.
I presume that's where they go when people don't want them.

I don't think you can blame the stubbies for that. 5 years  for me now and not a problem.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

I don't think you can blame the stubbies for that. 5 years  for me now and not a problem.

Yeah, well the one's in the bnide bottles blew.

The ones in the 330 ml beer bottles didn't.

Hence the Bundie's went in the bin,

I've got enough beer bottles now, I don't have any need for the Bundies.

From memory they are thinner. I'll check when my son cracks one open next.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Graculus said:

Yeah, well the one's in the bnide bottles blew.

The ones in the 330 ml beer bottles didn't.

Hence the Bundie's went in the bin,

I've got enough beer bottles now, I don't have any need for the Bundies.

From memory they are thinner. I'll check when my son cracks one open next.

Of course they are thinner  so will blow if pressure is too much. But it won't the stubbies that we're the problem, it was t he cider. Like I said, 5 years not one blown. And a fair few were primed with 250grams. 

I use 150 Lashes 345 ml stubbies because they are crown seal type bottles.  I also use some GB 375 ml bottles and never had either explode.

For everyone's info I did a bit of bottle weighing when I was researching which stubby to go for and recorded the following:

Bundaberg GB / SARS 375 ml bottles empty weight = 202 g

150 Lashes 345 ml bottles empty weight = 195 g

Frothy 345 ml bottles empty weight = 189 g

Obviously the Frothy being the larger 345 ml bottle size and being the lightest weight, has very thin glass plus it was a twist top so that's why I settled on the 150 Lashes stubbies as my main traveller stash.

I did weigh a lot of others but cannot locate my notes at the moment.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

@iBooz2 I did a lot of similar weighing with 500ml German Lager bottles various brands. Plus Coopers longnecks before they went eco friendly. 

The 500ml german bottles were not far from the weight of coopers for the 250ml less. I think i worked out they were similar thickness because of the wight difference. 

I collected as many as i could before the change pry off is the way to go.

I have a whole heap of 500ml flip top but get too many leaks. The plastic seals might be the problem? I remember as a kid my uncle used ones with rubber seals?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@iBooz2 I did a lot of similar weighing with 500ml German Lager bottles various brands. Plus Coopers longnecks before they went eco friendly. 

The 500ml german bottles were not far from the weight of coopers for the 250ml less. I think i worked out they were similar thickness because of the wight difference. 

I collected as many as i could before the change pry off is the way to go.

I have a whole heap of 500ml flip top but get too many leaks. The plastic seals might be the problem? I remember as a kid my uncle used ones with rubber seals?

They are easily replaceable, usually most LBHS will have them in stock & of course online.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

They are easily replaceable, usually most LBHS will have them in stock & of course online.

Rubber ones or plastic still? They have been doing it since brand new. Only thing I can think of is not putting it on dead straight before pull down and seal it.  Have you ever had a flat one you know added sugar to?

1 minute ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Rubber ones or plastic still? They have been doing it since brand new. Only thing I can think of is not putting it on dead straight before pull down and seal it.  Have you ever had a flat one you know added sugar to?

I bought a pack of the rubber ones & found they outlast the silicone ones for my Grolsch bottles but when you are ready to pull the clips down, I ensure the seal is parallel to the top of the bottle & it makes a good seal.

I have never had a flat one, in fact quite the opposite, I have had a few gushers, some have even blown the clip right off, even cracking the rim of the bottle.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I bought a pack of the rubber ones & found they outlast the silicone ones for my Grolsch bottles but when you are ready to pull the clips down, I ensure the seal is parallel to the top of the bottle & it makes a good seal.

I have never had a flat one, in fact quite the opposite, I have had a few gushers, some have even blown the clip right off, even cracking the rim of the bottle.

Last longer? As in you use them more than once? I thought they were disposable and needed to be changed with every bottling.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Nah, only when they show signs of wear you start getting fails.

Here is some info for you, left are the rubber seals, on the right the silicone, they will perish faster especially if you wash/soak them in water that is too hot.

Pic #3 is the rubber seal, note they are flatter & a much tighter fit.

50073-1.jpg

b26357f6-3f09-4a97-bf2d-6b077cd1d0d8.d8f51adacf72770d784b340278007177.jpeg

0.jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Here is some info for you, left are the rubber seals, on the right the silicone, they will perish faster especially if you wash/soak them in water that is too hot.

Pic #3 is the rubber seal, note they are flatter & a much tighter fit.

50073-1.jpg

b26357f6-3f09-4a97-bf2d-6b077cd1d0d8.d8f51adacf72770d784b340278007177.jpeg

0.jpg

That's great, thanks. It looks like Grain and Grape stock the rubber seals.

https://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product/bottle-swing-top-replacment-washer/

As we are on the subject, do you remove the seals for cleaning and sanitizing and then refit them for bottling? I would assume yes but confirmation would be handy.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kegory said:

That's great, thanks. It looks like Grain and Grape stock the rubber seals.

https://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product/bottle-swing-top-replacment-washer/

As we are on the subject, do you remove the seals for cleaning and sanitizing and then refit them for bottling? I would assume yes but confirmation would be handy.

Yes, I have a couple of times but as long as they come in to contact with the sanitser I don't really think it is necessary.

Although if they are under heavy usage, it would be better if you did every few batches.

Now that I am kegging, I don't get to use many bottles anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Classic Brewing Co good info there on the bottle seals and @Kegory for the link to replacements.

So classic is the rubber ones better in you're opinion? The flatness is not an issue with the bottle? I may just replace them on the whole 4 boxes as don't have much consistency with silicone seals.  

Mine are just on 5mm thick & very sturdy, I couldn't find an old silicone as I probably have thrown them all out. I have 200 Grolsch bottles & I know the silicon are much thinner.

20230320_104709.thumb.jpg.5c8f0b93b36d604ee788a910ea60354f.jpg

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes, I have a couple of times but as long as they come in to contact with the sanitser I don't really think it is necessary.

Although if they are under heavy usage, it would be better if you did every few batches.

Now that I am kegging, I don't get to use many bottles anymore.

Do you blokes sanitise your bottles/stubbies?

I've never bothered, just make sure they are clean. These days they just go through the dish washer. I figure if 1 in two hundred is a bit off, so what. Not that I recall when I last had one.

• Like 1