Coopers Community

Infected Fermenters / Taps

glivo

One thing with me I might have OCD. I dont go well with repetitiveness. So many astute members say one thing. And the same I'm thinking. So ok, if you dont want to take that advice. Good. All good. Keep battling on.

I should just shut off but Im passionate.

• Like 1

All good Pale Man.  I get it, and by the way, I have been taking offered advice in using Iodophor, sodium met and I did buy new FVs. Well, one 60 litre model.

I hope I don't jinx myself writing this, but today is day 6 so I'll do a gravity reading in a few hours.  I'll be over there bottling today.  I had a quick glance at the FV yesterday and it looked OK but I didn't use a torch so not really sure yet.  At this point I'm hopeful my cleaning and sanitising has proven successfull.  If it has, I would only be guessing which part or substance did the job.  Maybe a combination, but I still need to lift the lid to be sure, so fingers crossed. 

• Like 2

Success!!!! Yeeehaaah!!!  😂 Happy days!!

I'm not bottling it today as I want to check the gravity again tomorrow.   I think it's done BUT there is no infection after 6 full days.  I haven't lifted the lid yet, but I can see clearly through the wall of the FV that there is no flower, only nice clean surface bubbles.  Hopefully, the other one is clean as well.  That will be the next brew I do and my confidence is high.

I wish I knew which of the 3 additional steps was the kill factor.  It must be either 1 of, or a combination of, Bottle Wash Detergent (Alkaline Salts), Sodium Metabisulphite or the Iodophor.

Anyway.  It worked so I'm glad I didn't give up and bin them.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, glivo said:

Success!!!! Yeeehaaah!!!  😂 Happy days!!

I'm not bottling it today as I want to check the gravity again tomorrow.   I think it's done BUT there is no infection after 6 full days.  I haven't lifted the lid yet, but I can see clearly through the wall of the FV that there is no flower, only nice clean surface bubbles.  Hopefully, the other one is clean as well.  That will be the next brew I do and my confidence is high.

I wish I knew which of the 3 additional steps was the kill factor.  It must be either 1 of, or a combination of, Bottle Wash Detergent (Alkaline Salts), Sodium Metabisulphite or the Iodophor.

Anyway.  It worked so I'm glad I didn't give up and bin them.

@glivo, congratulations and many pats on the back from me for your tenacity.  My money is on the Iodophor and a good hose off rinse, as it has a proven track record on this forum.

• Like 2

Mmmm, changing the taps is a good option. I had that infection once or twice about 30 years ago but not since.

Some sanitisers are better at killing certain bugs but perhaps not others.

Perhaps after doing your usual sanitising in addition try chlorine based NON-SCENTED household bleach like I use such as white king. But don't forget to rinse well with boiling water to remove the remaining chlorine. Its worth a try perhaps.

Plenty here knock the chlorine based bleach but it works for me. Suggest you soak over night which coopers recommend but double the strength. Dismantle the tap and soak that too.

FAQ

To sanitise using Unscented Household Bleach: Add ¼ cup of unscented household bleach to the FV. Place all equipment in the FV, fill with cool water and let soak overnight (or at least 30mins). Rinse out with hot water to remove all traces of chlorine smell.

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, glivo said:

Well, from memory, I think I can thank Shamus for that advice if you're correct.

I am happy for your success and tenacity.  I did use Idophor successfully in a pellicle infected fermenter and keg.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

Mmmm, changing the taps is a good option. I had that infection once or twice about 30 years ago but not since.

Some sanitisers are better at killing certain bugs but perhaps not others.

Perhaps after doing your usual sanitising in addition try chlorine based NON-SCENTED household bleach like I use such as white king. But don't forget to rinse well with boiling water to remove the remaining chlorine. Its worth a try perhaps.

Plenty here knock the chlorine based bleach but it works for me. Suggest you soak over night which coopers recommend but double the strength. Dismantle the tap and soak that too.

FAQ

To sanitise using Unscented Household Bleach: Add ¼ cup of unscented household bleach to the FV. Place all equipment in the FV, fill with cool water and let soak overnight (or at least 30mins). Rinse out with hot water to remove all traces of chlorine smell.

People who say they have never used bleach for sterilisation have not brewed for years because back then that's all there was I used to use bleach BUT then sodium percarbonate came along and I used that because it rinsed out a lot easier 

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

Using bleach was one of the first things I tried @Oldbloke.  It clearly didn't work in my situation which suggests the infection I had was resistant to chlorine-based chemicals at low strength.   Explanation of using bleach as no-rinse sanitiser and link to podcast.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

Glad you got it sorted

Hmm!! Yes, well.?  Just when Pale Man thought it was safe to go back in.  Sorry man.  You may recall you reacted to one of my posts over on AHB where I mentioned the occurrence of a "growth" inside some of the bottles I had used for these infected brews.  This is the next phase of the dilemma of the infected FVs.

I (foolishly or not) bottled the infected brews as they still tasted OK if bottled early enough.  They do.  They don't taste off and I've consumed plenty of them without being ill in any way, BUT, can anyone else see the problem here?  I now have a lot of PET bottles with this happening.  So far, it looks like it is fairly easy to remove, but my problem may not be over yet.  At the very least I have a lot of bottles to soak, scrub out and sanitise with multiple chemicals, since I don't know which one it was that killed the bug in the FVs.

I think this is where Homer would say Doh!

20240312_132118.jpg

20240312_132211.jpg

• Sad 5

6 minutes ago, glivo said:

Hmm!! Yes, well.?  Just when Pale Man thought it was safe to go back in.  Sorry man.  You may recall you reacted to one of my posts over on AHB where I mentioned the occurrence of a "growth" inside some of the bottles I had used for these infected brews.  This is the next phase of the dilemma of the infected FVs.

I (foolishly or not) bottled the infected brews as they still tasted OK if bottled early enough.  They do.  They don't taste off and I've consumed plenty of them without being ill in any way, BUT, can anyone else see the problem here?  I now have a lot of PET bottles with this happening.  So far, it looks like it is fairly easy to remove, but my problem may not be over yet.  At the very least I have a lot of bottles to soak, scrub out and sanitise with multiple chemicals, since I don't know which one it was that killed the bug in the FVs.

20240312_132118.jpg

20240312_132211.jpg

Well  it looks like your doing shamus's idea on the pet bottles now  or is it really worth saving the plastic pet bottles

pet bottles are pretty cheap     i dont think it would worth while going the hard yards 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

Well  it looks like your doing shamus's idea on the pet bottles now  or is it really worth saving the plastic pet bottles

pet bottles are pretty cheap     i dont think it would worth while going the hard yards 

Yep, same @ozdevil, personally I wouldn’t think twice about it - into the recycling bin they would go - at warp speed ! @glivo

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Yep, same @ozdevil, personally I wouldn’t think twice about it - into the recycling bin they would go - at warp speed ! @glivo

If you have had problems with infections from the fermenters it is only normal for it to transfer to the PET bottles, again, chuck the lot & start again. AS @ozdevil said, they are cheap enough.

• Like 2

I think so.  The FVs are good now but there was only 2 of them.  I think I have 60 PETs that have been used from these, so no big deal to dump them.  Lesson learnt.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, glivo said:

20240312_132118.jpg

20240312_132211.jpg

Um, was that directed at me. This is the only brewing forum I'm a member of.

5 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

I think it was for Pale Man on this forum 

You could be right.

Hope he gets it sorted. Bloody stubborn infection. I've never had one that hard to get rid of.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Not directed at you @Oldbloke , but more just saying it ain't fully sorted yet.  I have the FVs clean but now I've spread it to some of my bottles. I should have seen that coming.

Edited by glivo
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, glivo said:

Not directed at you @Oldbloke , but more just saying it ain't fully sorted yet.  I have the FVs clean but now I've spread it to some of my bottles. I should have seen that coming.

I had a similar situation years ago (Diastaticus infection).  I treated each bottle with an overnight bleach soak, as it was emptied.  The Diastaticus did not come back.  I reckon it is worth trying to fix the bottles.  However, you know my vote is for the Idophor soak to start with.

The disadvantage with Diastaticus is it took 3 months to become apparent.  By that time almost all of my bottles had been exposed.  I knew which brew was the cause, but not which fermenter it was done in.  So both of my fermenters had to be treated as well.

• Like 2

The surprising thing here, for me anyhow, is that these growths inside bottles are not in every bottle.  I would have expected all 30 PET bottles filled from an infected 23 litre batch to be the same, but I've only seen it in about 10 or so from the last batch emptied.  I bulk prime from a dedicated drum so the FV contents are well homogenised immediately prior to bottling.  That's a bit odd.

I've just put the first 6 bottles of the parallel batch, from the second FV, in the fridge so I'll do a count with this lot.  The good thing is that I do know from my notes which bottles have had this beer in them.  I am going to clean these bottles since I don't need to re-use them in a hurry.  I did a count yesterday and I have about 30 dozen so there's plenty of time.

• Like 1

As I mentioned earlier. I think I had that "white skin" issue abt 30 odd years ago. I remember the beer tasted and smelled "chemical like".

IIRC Way back then all I used for cleaning was hot soapy water (probably dish washing liquid) and boiling water for a final rinse.  Do some research, perhaps boiling water will kill it.  

Personally I use glass. 

Edited by Oldbloke

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2024 at 9:22 AM, glivo said:

Should I do as advised elsewhere and just throw them away?

Late to this but I have thrown full fermenters into the bin,

• Like 1