Coopers Community

Its Kegging Time - 2024

Just now, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

So does this locker pick up option work during after hours and the weekend I am assuming?

If so it may come in handy as I usually go to Noble Park on weekends.

Yes.  You can collect 24/7.  However, they generally only pack on business days.  I usually order at night and can pick it up by lunchtime the next day, sometimes sooner.  

When your order is ready to collect, they email you a code to open a roller door to the lockers, plus your locker number and a code to open your locker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yes.  You can collect 24/7.  However, they generally only pack on business days.  I usually order at night and can pick it up by lunchtime the next day, sometimes sooner.  

When your order is ready to collect, they email you a code to open a roller door to the lockers, plus your locker number and a code to open your locker.

Good to know this will come in handy for me thanks alot.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 10:45 PM, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Also after cheeky peak in Wodonga moving away from ingredients and Grain and Grape closing down. I now have to order from kegland and pay freight. I wanted a few KG of carapils from them and only sell 25 KG bags😡

@Uhtred Of Beddanburg, as later replies indicate, you can get smaller quantities of most grains via the KL/grain bill and their locker PU system 24/7.  But if you need anything grain wise (or otherwise) and you cannot get that, just PM me and I will help you out, as I buy most grains (including Carapils) in 25 kg bags lots and can send some on you.  Obviously you would have to pay for the grains and the shipping.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 10:45 PM, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Also after cheeky peak in Wodonga moving away from ingredients and Grain and Grape closing down. I now have to order from kegland and pay freight. I wanted a few KG of carapils from them and only sell 25 KG bags😡

AND, KL have dropped their hop supply quantities in some cases down to 25 g sized packs, whereas a while ago you could order 100 g, 250 g and 500 g packs of hops.  I was a regular buyer of 100 g packs of their supplied hops but now they have either 25 g packs or not at all OR only 500 g packs of hops or not at all. ????

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

AND, KL have dropped their hop supply quantities in some cases down to 25 g sized packs, whereas a while ago you could order 100 g, 250 g and 500 g packs of hops.  I was a regular buyer of 100 g packs of their supplied hops but now they have either 25 g packs or not at all OR only 500 g packs of hops or not at all. ????

Thanks for both replies and the offer to help with the grain much appreciated. 

I did notice that with the hops as well. I would only bother with something like Cascade or Citra that I use a lot of and just get the 500g.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Kegged my Wheaty McWheatFace tonight.

I got 4 stubbies and 1 & 1/3 kegs.  FG 1.010 for a 4.5% beer in the kegs, 4.9% for the bottles.

Sorry no photo.  Just think of my recently kegged Wheaty McStoutFace except pale coloured.

Do you keep the 1/3 of a keg for yourself? not interested in doing the extra bottles? wondering why only 4 bottles if have a 1/3 of keg.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Do you keep the 1/3 of a keg for yourself? not interested in doing the extra bottles? wondering why only 4 bottles if have a 1/3 of keg.

Hey UoB, I have the capacity to make 27 - 30 litre batches, so I do.  Barely no difference in time and effort between a 20 litre and a 30 litre brewday. 

I usually keep the 1/3rd keg for me.  It is usually a smaller keg as opposed to a 19 litre keg 1/3rd full. 

I brew for 3 others, so roughly every 4th full keg I keep.

The bottles are for travellers and gifts.  Plus, when stocks are up, the bottles are often ready to drink/taste before I get the keg into the kegerator.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Kegged my Irish Stout today I'll leave it on set and forget for 3 weeks now to put down my next brew a little creatures rogers clone it should be interesting 

Love that beer

• Like 2

Hey kegging legends,

Hope you’re all well.

Ive recently purchased some kegging gear and about to keg my first one today. I want to keg it and store it away for a few weeks while I wait for my keezer bits and pieces. So quick question…..

Once the beer is in the keg, can I give it a charge of CO2 and then remove the gas disconnect and store the keg in a fridge (preferred option)? Or do I need to keep the gas on?

If I can give it a charge and then remove the gas line, what psi should I give it?

Its an ipa in a 19l ball lock corny keg at about 1.5 degrees. 

cheers boys and girls 👍

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Hey kegging legends,

Hope you’re all well.

Ive recently purchased some kegging gear and about to keg my first one today. I want to keg it and store it away for a few weeks while I wait for my keezer bits and pieces. So quick question…..

Once the beer is in the keg, can I give it a charge of CO2 and then remove the gas disconnect and store the keg in a fridge (preferred option)? Or do I need to keep the gas on?

If I can give it a charge and then remove the gas line, what psi should I give it?

cheers boys and girls 👍

If your going to keep it in the fridge why not keep it on gas at 8psi or 9psi that way when you get the keezer just transfer it and start drinking OR get yourself a party gun and enjoy the beer when it's carbonated 

Whichever way you go it has to be carbonated it's going to take about 10 days to fully carbonate so I would just leave it in the fridge with the gas on

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Hey kegging legends,

Hope you’re all well.

cheers boys and girls 👍

Great stuff TB.  You will not look back.

I often give a keg around 12psi of pressure and then store it in the garage at ambient temperature.  It does not have to be stored cool.  Although that is probably best practice. 

I does not have to be under constant pressure while you store it.

When you are ready to drink it, it will need around 12psi for a week to be carbonated.  Alternatively, 40psi for 24 hours will also do the trick (well it does for me).

• Like 4

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

I gave it a blast at 40 psi and chucked it in the fridge. I’ll leave it there while I finish off the gas connections and test everything and assemble the keezer.

Reading your responses it’s probably a bit high, but I can check it in a week or two and maybe burp the keg if it’s still too high. Glad to hear it doesn’t need to be under constant pressure though - I was a bit worried about leaving the gas on and losing the co2 through a bad connection or some similar mishap.

• Like 3

Kegged my Espresso Martini today.

Just realised I forgot to add espresso coffee to the kegs before transferring the beer.  Bugger!  I reckon I could still add it tomorrow.

Ended up with a Final Gravity of 1.016 for an ABV of 4.9%.  A little lower than hoped, but still a good result.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

I gave it a blast at 40 psi and chucked it in the fridge. I’ll leave it there while I finish off the gas connections and test everything and assemble the keezer.

Reading your responses it’s probably a bit high, but I can check it in a week or two and maybe burp the keg if it’s still too high. Glad to hear it doesn’t need to be under constant pressure though - I was a bit worried about leaving the gas on and losing the co2 through a bad connection or some similar mishap.

A blast at 40psi will be fine.  Most of that will be absorbed into the beer in the coming weeks.  When you are ready to drink, I suggest you put it at 12psi for a week and it will be fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 2:49 PM, Tone boy said:

I’ll second @Shamus O'Sean’s comments. 
I recently replaced my silicone beer lime with the Evo ones as I had two Guinness nitro accidents - it is normally served under higher pressure (35 to 40 PSI) and it burst a beer line, emptying the keg (and gas bottle) into the keezer.

I have found that kegged beer with CO2 in it will keep for several months. Obviously if it’s a hoppy style that wouldn’t be appropriate.

I just tried these luggage scales for a quick idea of what’s left in a keg (unfortunately you have to take the keg out of the keezer for it to be accurate as it has to hang loose as it were), quite handy .

IMG_3020.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity how many years could you expect brand new kegs to be ok? I have been kegging 3 years and have seal kits for lids and posts etc. 

Better to change them before problems or can expect more out of brand new stock? 

Kegland 19 litre ball lock kegs. 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Just out of curiosity how many years could you expect brand new kegs to be ok? I have been kegging 3 years and have seal kits for lids and posts etc. 

Better to change them before problems or can expect more out of brand new stock? 

Kegland 19 litre ball lock kegs. 

I would not replace anything until you notice some wear and tear.  The lid "O" rings would be the least of your worries but the "O" rings on the beer and gas disconnect posts will wear out fast if you are not in the habit of applying some food grade lube to them just before connecting them to your lines.  Also the only other part that's going to wear out is the seals on the poppets themselves as they "make or break" seal when you connect up your lines which can chew them a bit.  Just get into the habit of doing a pressure test each time you clean the keg.  I use a 10 L bucket part filled with older/used sanitiser and pump up the empty keg to several psi and then invert the keg into the bucket to see if any traces of bubbles, hence a leak.  If nothing after quite some time then I figure it's OK to CO2 purge the keg and fill with the next beer.  I dampen my lid "O" rings, top/bottom and all around with sanitiser before sealing and do not use any lube on those as I find this is enough.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kegged my Frankenstein Czech Pilsner tonight.

You might recall the last few kegging days, I have ended up with hazy beer in the FV (having actually got it nice and clear with finings during the cold crash).  I put that down to CO2 being released from the yeast cake due to moving the FV from the cold crashing fridge at 0°C to the house at 20°C for kegging.  Now that could have been part of the issue.  However, I think it had more to do with using @iBooz2's kegging suggestion.  Except, I might have taken it too far.  Previously, I drained the FV until a small vacuum was created in the FV.  Then I transferred via gravity.  I think the vacuum had more to do with releasing CO2.

Tonight I started with the IB2 method.  However, I closed the PRV and connected the gas-to-gas jumper when there was still plenty of pressure in the FV.  I think that kept the CO2 under control.

Should get 4.6% ABV beer.  One full keg, several stubbies and a 1/3rd keg.

IMG_4441.thumb.JPG.ca61935fe64ef746fbfd5ee6e6e2b51a.JPG

• Like 5

I got two cornies from a double batch of Timothy Taylor’s Landlord and one of Duvel (I’ll bottle the rest of the Duvel).

There’s a batch of Summer Berry Sour to bottle (that’s the one in the hydrometer vial, lovely and clear and slightly reddish - I doubled the cherries), and a Botanical is currently cold crashing. 
Stocks are up at least 😉

IMG_3184.jpeg

IMG_3205.jpeg

IMG_3206.jpeg

IMG_3208.jpeg

• Like 5