Coopers Community

Its Kegging Time - 2024

Kegged my Drago Marino - The Kraken - Black IPA tonight.  Click back through the links for the recipe.

Not sure how the dry hopping went because my sense of smell is still stuffed due to my recent case of Covid.  By the way @stquinto (I hope your SWMBO is doing okay) and @kmar92, I am on the mend.  Still got some symptoms.  However RAT test says I am all clear of the virus.

You might recall I used the kit yeasts from a can of Coopers Canadian Blonde and a can of Mexican Cerveza.  These did a great job.  Got the OG of 1.077 down to 1.020 for an ABV of 7.5%.

IMG_4481.JPG.391e17b696e9bc0823fac915e2892b19.JPG

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Kegged my Stone & Wood Clone yesterday. 

2 x 19L and 1 x 9L keg.

Put together a 3 port manifold so all kegs can gas up at the same time, bit hard to see as it’s a pretty tight fit in the smaller all fridge. 
‘It can now sit there until I have space for them in the Keezer or Kegerator, whichever comes first. 🤷‍♂️

IMG_5236.jpeg

IMG_5237.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

Kegged my Stone & Wood Clone yesterday. 

2 x 19L and 1 x 9L keg.

Put together a 3 port manifold so all kegs can gas up at the same time, bit hard to see as it’s a pretty tight fit in the smaller all fridge. 
‘It can now sit there until I have space for them in the Keezer or Kegerator, whichever comes first. 🤷‍♂️

IMG_5236.jpeg

IMG_5237.jpeg

It looks pretty high-tech RD, I need to smarten up inside my keg fridge with a few more gadgets, it would make life easier.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It looks pretty high-tech RD, I need to smarten up inside my keg fridge with a few more gadgets, it would make life easier.

Just some extra fittings I had in my spares parts boxes, they do come in handy in times like this. 

• Like 2

Kegged my Kellerbier tonight

Came out at 4.9%.  It was quite hazy even though I cold crashed for a few days.  Oh well, it is supposed to be hazy anyway.  Just in time too because my neighbour's previous keg ran out today.  He'll pick up a keg tomorrow.  I also filled a 10L PET keg and a couple of bottles.  I did notice it still had a fair bit of sulphur going on.  I used White Labs Czech Budejovice Lager WLP802, which has cleared up pretty quickly in the past.

I forgot to take a photo until the kegging was all done.  So just an empty fermenter.  😁

IMG_4498.JPG.66952c203c306c4597b32c043dffa972.JPG

• Like 8

Kegged a Coopers 86 days Pilsner partial mash today. This one was based on the Czech Mate Pilsner recipe, though mine has hallertau Mittelfrüh instead of saaz hops. Just using what I have.
The sample tasted very promising. Cheers

IMG_5184.thumb.jpeg.e677d9c9d459440794f8b68150921a59.jpeg

• Like 8

On 7/14/2024 at 10:27 AM, Red devil 44 said:

Just some extra fittings I had in my spares parts boxes, they do come in handy in times like this. 

Hey @Red devil 44 I have been knockin up a couple of Keezers from spare bits n pieces I brought to put my son’s brewery setup together and thought I’d share how I got around the problem of mounting a CO2 manifold. 
Firstly I made up a small piece of jarrah, shaped to fit the step in the back of the manifold (from a spare piece of floor board), I then mounted the manifold to the timber backing (after I sanded and sealed it) I then mounted the whole lot with the strongest double sided tape I could buy from Bunnings. 
I was a bit nervous it wouldn’t hold, but I didn’t need to worry - it works a treat. No drilling or screwing into the sides of the fridge and everything is easily accessible and tidy ✅✅✅
One tip if you like the idea, is to Mount the manifold on the side wall and stay away from using the back wall, because typically that’s where the cooling system of the fridge is and condensation is best kept away from with this type of mounting method.
This photo is of a “ junior” Keezer I’m in the middle of finishing. It holds 2 X 9.5Lt kegs and the 2.6kg CO2 bottle lays down across the back (I fitted a 90 degree elbow to the CO2 gauge so the pressure can be adjusted and the gauges read from the front of the fridge). 
IMG_3614.thumb.jpeg.813982bc6b2fd17f6f0ed0d141845d95.jpeg

I also bought some really cheap battery powered digital thermometers from the net to use in both my fermentation fridge and the keezer I built for my son’s setup.

Turns out they fitted perfectly in the top cover of the bar fridges I used. 
I just made the cutout in the face of the plastic cover to push mount the thermometer into and drilled a hole up into the top of the fridge to bring the temperature probe through - winner winner chicken dinner 👏

IMG_3611.thumb.jpeg.a6b1cb9e8da975652253fb50f56fdfdf.jpeg

IMG_3563.thumb.jpeg.cb516aa7fe2bf8018ea9b8c1d7674b88.jpeg

• Like 10

52 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Hey @Red devil 44 I have been knockin up a couple of Keezers from spare bits n pieces I brought to put my son’s brewery setup together and thought I’d share how I got around the problem of mounting a CO2 manifold. 
Firstly I made up a small piece of jarrah, shaped to fit the step in the back of the manifold (from a spare piece of floor board), I then mounted the manifold to the timber backing (after I sanded and sealed it) I then mounted the whole lot with the strongest double sided tape I could buy from Bunnings. 
I was a bit nervous it wouldn’t hold, but I didn’t need to worry - it works a treat. No drilling or screwing into the sides of the fridge and everything is easily accessible and tidy ✅✅✅
One tip if you like the idea, is to Mount the manifold on the side wall and stay away from using the back wall, because typically that’s where the cooling system of the fridge is and condensation is best kept away from with this type of mounting method.
This photo is of a “ junior” Keezer I’m in the middle of finishing. It holds 2 X 9.5Lt kegs and the 2.6kg CO2 bottle lays down across the back (I fitted a 90 degree elbow to the CO2 gauge so the pressure can be adjusted and the gauges read from the front of the fridge). 

I also bought some really cheap battery powered digital thermometers from the net to use in both my fermentation fridge and the keezer I built for my son’s setup.

I just made the cutout in the face of the plastic cover to push mount the thermometer into and drilled a hole up into the top of the fridge to bring the temperature probe through - winner winner chicken dinner 👏

What a fantastical Job TBB. TTROTDO🏝️🍺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tricky Micky said:

What a fantastical Job TBB. TTROTDO🏝️🍺

HAA ! - thanks @Tricky Micky -  Appreciate ya kinds words cobber, but just the rest of the day  off - I was hopin' for more along the lines of TTROTMO - HEE ! 😉 😂 🤣 😂 

But its brew day for me tomoz. Kegging my REGENCY PARK RED ALE and putting down a CALI COAST IPAso the ROTDO will have ta do - WOOHOO 🥳 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺

• Haha 2

On 7/24/2024 at 5:08 AM, Triple B Brewing said:

I have been knockin up a couple of Keezers from spare bits n pieces I brought to put my son’s brewery setup together and thought I’d share how I got around the problem of mounting a CO2 manifold.

Amazing setup 👍

TTROTDO, if you already hadn’t 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/24/2024 at 1:08 PM, Triple B Brewing said:

Hi @Triple B Brewing, nice looking set up mate.

I’m in the middle of converting a mini bar fridge for my brother that will hold 2 x 9L kegs.

Then I have a 520L All Fridge I’m going to convert to a keg serving fridge , as I’m getting over lifting kegs in & out of the keezer.

With mounting my manifold I am also fabricating a bracket for my in line regulators which will house both manifold & regulators.

I will have 2 manifolds (same as keezer) where I can have 4 kegs on line and a 2 valve manifold for High Pressure Gassing up.

I already have a dual stage regulator that’s on the keezer I can use.

I will utilise your method of mounting as I have some jarrah stained timber, cheers for the idea.

Best of luck, everything looks Mickey Mouse 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Hi @Triple B Brewing, nice looking set up mate.

I’m in the middle of converting a mini bar fridge for my brother that will hold 2 x 9L kegs.

Then I have a 520L All Fridge I’m going to convert to a keg serving fridge , as I’m getting over lifting kegs in & out of the keezer.

With mounting my manifold I am also fabricating a bracket for my in line regulators which will house both manifold & regulators.

I will have 2 manifolds (same as keezer) where I can have 4 kegs on line and a 2 valve manifold for High Pressure Gassing up.

I already have a dual stage regulator that’s on the keezer I can use.

I will utilise your method of mounting as I have some jarrah stained timber, cheers for the idea.

Best of luck, everything looks Mickey Mouse 👍

Thanks @Red devil 44, sounds like your shed would be as full of fridges as mine then 🫣😂
I must say I was pleasantly surprised when I established I could fit 2 X 19lt kegs + 1 X 5Lt keg and the 2.3Kg CO2 bottle and gauge all in that small bar fridge. I had to cut the tap shanks down so none of that protruded beyond the inside of the door, so it’s really compact in there, but it all works perfectly well. 👍🏻

Pleased, I might have triggered some alternate ideas for your setup cobber. All the very best in your builds. I’ll keep an eye out for a happy snap or two eh 📸

Cheers ta plenty of delicious cold beers 🍺 🍺🍺🍺

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Thanks @Red devil 44, sounds like your shed would be as full of fridges as mine then 🫣😂
I must say I was pleasantly surprised when I established I could fit 2 X 19lt kegs + 1 X 5Lt keg and the 2.3Kg CO2 bottle and gauge all in that small bar fridge. I had to cut the tap shanks down so none of that protruded beyond the inside of the door, so it’s really compact in there, but it all works perfectly well. 👍🏻

Pleased, I might have triggered some alternate ideas for your setup cobber. All the very best in your builds. I’ll keep an eye out for a happy snap or two eh 📸

Cheers ta plenty of delicious cold beers 🍺 🍺🍺🍺

No worries @Triple B Brewing , will put up some snaps when I get to it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kegged my Juicy Hazy IPA recently.

It managed to reach 8% after all.  Although the OG was 4 points low, the yeast dropped the FG to 1.013 instead of the predicted 1.019.  Lots of fruity aromas from the FV.  The sample tasted good.  The colour looks a bit darker than I was aiming for.  I struggle with getting the yellow haziness you see in commercial NEIPA beers.  This brew has 1.1kg of Wheat malt and 1.1kg of Quick Oats plus 120g of dry hops.  But the hops were contained in a hop sock that I removed after 4 days.  Plus it was cold crashed for a week before I got to keg it.

IMG_4518.JPG.bcf7d598ed2f4dfb78789bc600f6dc63.JPG

In the glass beside the FV is the last of my Duvel clone.  Unfortunately it has not aged well.  It is just short of 8 months old.  The last few were in PET bottles.  I think a tiny bit of oxidation has started to happen.  The colour has darkened and it has become more hazy.  Tastes more boozy than the early samples.  There is no cardboard flavour, that is usually associated with oxidation, but that might be masked by the boozy flavour.  All of the fruity aroma has gone.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm a little bit happy with this recent buy. Nukatap mini with flow control valve.

It's removed the need for fiddly beer lines in the fridge to provide flow resistance. It also means I can serve beer from one keg and keep another keg carbonated at higher pressure without frothy pours. I don't have a manifold to control my CO2 distribution and I'm not very handy to want to set one up or put taps through my fridge door.

I also bought a CO2 regulated charging kit with it so I can use those little soda bulbs to dispense beer without having to lug a CO2 tank around. Keg mobility.🥰

IMG_20240821_212625~2.jpg

Screenshot_2024-08-21-21-56-46-772.jpg

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Beerdo said:

Well I'm a little bit happy with this recent buy. Nukatap mini with flow control valve.

It's removed the need for fiddly beer lines in the fridge to provide flow resistance. It also means I can serve beer from one keg and keep another keg carbonated at higher pressure without frothy pours. I don't have a manifold to control my CO2 distribution and I'm not very handy to want to set one up or put taps through my fridge door.

I also bought a CO2 regulated charging kit with it so I can use those little soda bulbs to dispense beer without having to lug a CO2 tank around. Keg mobility.🥰

IMG_20240821_212625~2.jpg

Screenshot_2024-08-21-21-56-46-772.jpg

I watched a video of these taps and they look the way to go and as you said keg mobility.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

I watched a video of these taps and they look the way to go and as you said keg mobility.

I'm yet to use the charging unit but it looks a winner.

• Like 2