Coopers Community

Its Kegging Time - 2024

7 hours ago, stquinto said:

I got two cornies from a double batch of Timothy Taylor’s Landlord and one of Duvel (I’ll bottle the rest of the Duvel).

There’s a batch of Summer Berry Sour to bottle (that’s the one in the hydrometer vial, lovely and clear and slightly reddish - I doubled the cherries), and a Botanical is currently cold crashing. 
Stocks are up at least 😉

IMG_3184.jpeg

IMG_3205.jpeg

IMG_3206.jpeg

IMG_3208.jpeg

Good stock 🙂 

I see you are using a Dymo labler for the kegs. Question, how do you get the labels off again? In classic sticker fashion, they seem to fall off when you need them on but once you want to remove them, they rip and tear and delaminate. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Good stock 🙂 

I see you are using a Dymo labler for the kegs. Question, how do you get the labels off again? In classic sticker fashion, they seem to fall off when you need them on but once you want to remove them, they rip and tear and delaminate. 

I have got a Dymo Labeler & use the paper cartridges often, they do come of the plastic area of the keg, or you can stick a new one over the old one. The vinyl & metal cartridges are a different story, more of permanent idea.

They are a handy thing for around the brewery & of course the home.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have got a Dymo Labeler & use the paper cartridges often, they do come of the plastic area of the keg, or you can stick a new one over the old one. The vinyl & metal cartridges are a different story, more of permanent idea.

They are a handy thing for around the brewery & of course the home.

I use the plastic ones as I always found the paper labels tend to curl up from the ends. I still have a paper cartridge somewhere.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Good stock 🙂 

I stick them to the rubber bit at the top of the cornie, they peel off fine. They can be a PITA when stuck to the stainless steel 10 litre ones though, so I fold back the end of the sticker onto itself so I can pull it off afterwards. Sometimes they tear up, but only on the stainless, never the rubber bit of the cornie.

• Like 3

Kegged my Coopers Botanic Ale last night (Wednesday).  The dry hop was in the FV for the whole 11 days.  I did not notice grassiness in the flavour of the sample.  That bodes well.  Got about 14 bottles (6.3% with bottle priming) and a keg worth (5.9%).  I decided at the last minute to harvest the Coopers Commercial Ale yeast.  It will come in handy for a Coopers Original Pale Ale in a few months.

The beer was nice and clear.  I had cold crashed and fined with Biofine.  Except, a few minutes after the photo, I chocked the FV at an angle with those blocks of wood on the right.  The feet on the FV did not grip on the bench surface and the FV almost slid off the bench.  Unfortunately, the remaining beer got nicely stirred up.  Oh well, a bit of yeast would have got into the keg.  It should still clear up after the first few glasses.

Definitely looking forward to this one.  I hope to get the keg into the kegerator before the bottles are conditioned and ready to drink.

IMG_4455.JPG.f4e9bfad8c28644a0832ec88ad6f132d.JPG

• Like 9

I got around to bottling the Summer Berry Sour; it hadn’t gone down from 1.010 for a week and just cleared up instead, without a cold crash.

My stubbie boxes hold 39 x 33cl, so the 20 litre brew gave me a full box and a 5 litre mini keg.

It’ll be interesting to see if there’s much difference between the bottles and the keg - apart from about 0.5% extra alcohol from the carb drops in the bottles

IMG_3247.jpeg

IMG_3246.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 8

50 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I got around to bottling the Summer Berry Sour; it hadn’t gone down from 1.010 for a week and just cleared up instead, without a cold crash.

My stubbie boxes hold 39 x 33cl, so the 20 litre brew gave me a full box and a 5 litre mini keg.

It’ll be interesting to see if there’s much difference between the bottles and the keg - apart from about 0.5% extra alcohol from the carb drops in the bottles

IMG_3247.jpeg

IMG_3246.jpeg

Looks nice Stquinta, that keg has a nice look about it, handy size too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kegging my Japanese Lager FWK, this has been CC for a week and a half, I will just put this on serving pressure for a few weeks as I want to let it sit for a while. 
Didn’t want to keg this as I wanted to lager it for 6 weeks, but I need the fermenting fridge space to make a beer for a good mate of mine who has had a bit of a rough trot. 
‘I had a little sampler and it tastes very good, will re-visit this in a few weeks and report back. 

IMG_5190.jpeg

• Like 5

I am at full capacity currently with 6 beers on tap.

These 2 kegs are just in my spare fridge gassing up on serving pressure, get to them down the track as I always brew 1-2 months ahead, love organisation in my brewery. 
Have a double batch (48L) of Stone & Wood AG Clone currently in the fermenting fridge which I’m just about to dry hop with 150g Galaxy, post pic shortly. 

Can relax and watch some NRL now. 

IMG_0361.jpeg

IMG_0362.jpeg

Edited by Red devil 44
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

These 2 kegs are just in my spare fridge gassing up on serving pressure, get to them down the track as I always brew 1-2 months ahead, love organisation in my brewery. 
Have a double batch (48L) of Stone & Wood AG Clone currently in the fermenting fridge which I’m just about to dry hop with 150g Galaxy, post pic shortly. 

Can relax and watch some NRL now. 

IMG_0361.jpeg

IMG_0362.jpeg

Jeez, RD, sounds like you are chocho's so I should grab a couple of Adelaidean's & help you get rid of your excess beer, no need to thank me, we really don't mind. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Jeez, RD, sounds like you are chocho's so I should grab a couple of Adelaidean's & help you get rid of your excess beer, no need to thank me, we really don't mind. 🤣

Ha ha, used to play golf with a few Adelaidean’s back in the day who moved to Qld, stubby a hole was their motto (after 5 schooners in the clubhouse mind), don’t really need to say anymore. 🤣🤣

Ahh the good old days, those boys hailed from Salisbury SA. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Ha ha, used to play golf with a few Adelaidean’s back in the day who moved to Qld, stubby a hole was their motto (after 5 schooners in the clubhouse mind), don’t really need to say anymore. 🤣🤣

Ahh the good old days, those boys hailed from Salisbury SA. 

I used to play golf in my school/teenage years & ended up doing well. I finished up on a six handicap but was starting to get bored with it & moved on to other things. These days I simply couldn't be bothered, more important things to do 🍺🤣

Salisbury to me is the Mid-North, especially when you live in Glenelg, I only go out that way when I have to.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I used to play golf in my school/teenage years & ended up doing well. I finished up on a six handicap but was starting to get bored with it & moved on to other things. These days I simply couldn't be bothered, more important things to do 🍺🤣

Salisbury to me is the Mid-North, especially when you live in Glenelg, I only go out that way when I have to.

Yes I will have to pay Adelaide a visit one day. 

• Like 3

Finally kegged my English IPA today after suffering from Covid all week.  I could not tell you what this brew smelled like.  My wife said it was fruity.  Finished at 1.011 for an ABV of 6.6%.  Looking forward to trying this one with all my senses back to normal.

MT FV

IMG_4471.JPG.6105c829c872a233daaf81b6a60d3d19.JPG

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Finally kegged my English IPA today after suffering from Covid all week.  I could not tell you what this brew smelled like.  My wife said it was fruity.  Finished at 1.011 for an ABV of 6.6%.  Looking forward to trying this one with all my senses back to normal.

MT FV

IMG_4471.JPG.6105c829c872a233daaf81b6a60d3d19.JPG

I hope that you are on the mend @Shamus O'Sean 🤧

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2024 at 11:32 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Finally kegged my English IPA today after suffering from Covid all week.

I second the get well Shamus. SWMBO has it at tge moment (if that’s what it is), blinding headaches apparently 😢

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I kegged up the second (dirty) batch of Botanical. It was cold crashing a while, I didn’t have time to get it kegged. I got a cornie and about 4 litres in a mini keg. 6.30% in the end, it had dropped to 1.006.

Tastes very promising. This one was with Coopers Pale, and an extra hop steep of 48g of Centennial with the juniper.

The Coopers Commercial yeast is a beast (and I’m a poet…)

I might retire this batch of yeast though, it’s done at least half a dozen batches and I have some more in the fridge for another brew.

My stocks are still holding with a  cornie of Pils, Duvel, two each of Guinness and Landlord, as well as a COPA and now the Botanical. Also some small ones of Old Perc, Summer Berry sour and the Botanical.

(Didn't notice the dead fly on the hydrometer tuber, hope it went out happy...)

IMG_3612.jpeg

IMG_3610.jpeg

IMG_3611.jpeg

IMG_3614.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I kegged up the second (dirty) batch of Botanical. It was cold crashing a while, I didn’t have time to get it kegged. I got a cornie and about 4 litres in a mini keg. 6.30% in the end, it had dropped to 1.006.

Tastes very promising. This one was with Coopers Pale, and an extra hop steep of 48g of Centennial with the juniper.

The Coopers Commercial yeast is a beast (and I’m a poet…)

I might retire this batch of yeast though, it’s done at least half a dozen batches and I have some more in the fridge for another brew.

My stocks are still holding with a  cornie of Pils, Duvel, two each of Guinness and Landlord, as well as a COPA and now the Botanical. Also some small ones of Old Perc, Summer Berry sour and the Botanical.

IMG_3612.jpeg

IMG_3610.jpeg

IMG_3611.jpeg

IMG_3614.jpeg

Those kegs in stock do you just fill them gas and purge the head space then just store at ambient temperature?

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Those kegs in stock do you just fill them gas the head space then just store at ambient temperature?

Yes, that's pretty much it. At the moment it is about 18°C in the brew-room behind the garage where I store them. The Guinness kegs are probably only 15 litres each though.

Edited by stquinto
typo
  • Thanks 1