Coopers Community

Got a DIY beer kit for Christmas? Welcome!

Soundawake

Uh not to sure about the taste was a bit worried to let the brew hit the back tonsils [pouty] Didnt pick up on any sour taste though should i just keep an eye on the hydrometer level over the next few days and if its dropping all good to go? worse comes to worse and it's infected im sure a couple of friends wouldn't mind some free beers [lol]

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mentioned that you didn't take a sample for Original Gravity (OG).

The "junk" in the hydrometer tube may be ingredients from when you put down the brew.

It is a good idea to draw off a small sample & taste/discard it then take the sample you are going to test with your hydrometer. This will give you a more accurate reading.

Then you can taste it [biggrin]

Ya I always take a little sample before actually testing it on the hydrometer. Always get on the first sample a bit of particles.

Which brings me to my question folks. So after regulating the temp a few days the foam subsided and I just took of the KK. Seems to be goin well. My only concern now is that there is quite a lot of sediment at the bottom, being a dark ale brew the bottom is full of cream colorish sediment. How do I know if there is too much sediment ? I've read that leaving the brew a few more days on the cooler limit (18C) after fermentation is done helps clean up these sediments, is this true ? Wouldn't the additional time contribute to pile up even MORE sediment ?

Luckily sediment is at the very bottom so the by tap level is fine to bottle. I'm leaving on Saturday and coming back on sunday evening. Planing on bottling maybe on monday-tuesday. But I wanted to be sure this sediment is normal, and that by leaving it more time won't affect my beer, as I am concerned it might be an infection ?

Anyways here's a picture.

sediment.jpg

EDIT: Wow I feel like a spamer ;( . Looked up a while and found out this is yeast ? And decision on these discussions say to leave it for another week or so, when the FG has stabilized around 1,010 - 1,0120 ? And of course not to bottle it. Some even say to wash save and reuse ?

Gravity today is 1,015, I'm gonna draw another sample on Friday and see where's at, I was kinda expecting to come down a little more. Either way I think If it stabilizes during the weekend I will be bottling around tuesday-wednesday, would that be ok ? Or maybe leave it more than 4 days when is fermentation is complete ?

Looking pretty good there Kike. All seems normal and that is not yeast. It is the "Trub" which is usually made up of cold break, hop debris, dead yeast cells and various protiens. The yeast is currently in suspension working away on your brew and will settle down there when they finish.

Provided the SG is stable then you can bottle it any time afterward. I do suggest to leave it for at least a few days after which will help the yeast clean up. When it comes time to bottling, don't bottle the trub but I guess you may already know that any way [innocent]

Yes some people wash, rinse or just reuse the yeast in the trub for other brews. This saves paying for more yeast, especially when some yeast out there are quite expensive. I have 6 or so jars of various yeasts in my fridge by doing this.

I bottle down to the 1 litre mark, careful tilting of the FV will get you there, having said that my mate goes all the way virtualy to the trub and gets quite lot of sediment in his last few bottles, his motto waste not want not [rightful] .

I filled a keg with the Euro Lager a couple of nights ago and got nearly every drop in with hardly any trub at all. It had been CC for a bit over a week and everything was nice and compact on the bottom. I wish all the brews finished as compact as that one.

I just bottled my first brew. The last bottle I discarded as it was all Trub. 29 is fine for me!

I had a taste - it tastes just like the William Organic Pale Ale that I'm having to celebrate the bottling - only opened after I finished. Albeit a bit flat of course.

I've got it in a bar fridge that is switched off - I figure it'll be warmer than 18 degrees in there http://t.co/Fw0VCHqH

Bill, the top of a wall isn't really a suitable place to store your beer.

One may accidently fall and then you would only have 98 bottles of beer on the wall. [innocent]

EDIT: Sorry Bill, my mistake. Apparently it is only the green bottles that accidently fall. Probably light struck too.

Ive nearly polished off my first batch of the OS Lager that came with the kit I made it a tad stronger by only filling to 20L mark added half a cup of glucose as well to increase the alcohol didn't turn out bad got like 10 bottles left at the moment Will be doing my second brew next weekend I think if the weather is cooler :)

Bill, the top of a wall isn't really a suitable place to store your beer.

One may accidently fall and then you would only have 98 bottles of beer on the wall. [innocent]

EDIT: Sorry Bill, my mistake. Apparently it is only the green bottles that accidently fall. Probably light struck too.

Hairy to the corner mate NOW!! [biggrin]

My 500ml Grolsh bottles always go straight to the dark cupboard.

I am going to buy 48 brown Grolsh type bottles 24 500ml and 24 750 ml as i find these the easiest to work with.

G'day Yoda's. Perplexed here. After 2weeks my reading yesterday (lifted FV out of tub of water) read 1006.5. Thought i'd bottle today, checked reading again (after moving it to the new brewing fridge!!! rested for about 45min) and it read 1010.

Something not right here. Sample currently in fridge and will check in 45min once chilled.

How is it possible to raise by that much? is it the movement that could contribute to such a change?

Thanks[annoyed]

well yeah moving no matter how little stirs everything up and the tap being at the bottom would have been why changed and definatly after 2 weeks it would be ready if an ale. but !006 yesterday is good sighn id just hurry up and botle it if i was u

well yeah moving no matter how little stirs everything up and the tap being at the bottom would have been why changed and definatly after 2 weeks it would be ready if an ale. but !006 yesterday is good sighn id just hurry up and botle it if i was u

Excellent. I'll bottle it tomorrow then. Let it settle overnight.

It should be a good midstrength lager. I don't love lagers but this tastes fine. Should be good with a slice of lemon on a hot day.

thanks for the swift reply [happy]

APA can

500g LDM

750g BE2

15g cascade hops steeped.

will dry hop another 10g cascade on day 3

kit yeast

the LDM clumped a bit

1.7l wasn't enough boiling water to dissolve sugars, and it still came out at about 25 degrees. put it in the ice bath and 10 mins later it was down to 22 so I pitched the yeast.

i just wanted to check up on this one - OG was 1045, but i think the LDM clumps had a bit to do with it.

so is 1010 a reasonable final gravity on this one? it was on for 6 days at 18 degrees, the last 3 days at 23 degrees, creeping up to 24.

i've only taken a hydrometer reading today, so don't know if it's stable, but i'd think it has to be.

tastes good! i'll check it's at final gravity tomorrow evening before i drop the temp for a day or 2 - 5 degrees is about the best i can do after some experimentation in the last couple of days.

is it still worth cooling it down if i can't get it down to 1 degree?

Hi everyone. I have my new Coopers' DIY kit and am currently working on my first batch, decided to make some Unreal Ale.

I just followed the instructions from the kit and it's been fermenting around 25-26C which I'm afraid might be a bit too high. Maybe I should have done some research here first! [biggrin] Will this be much of a problem?

Could be.. just leave for 2 months min before you get into them, do another and try and get those temps under control 18-20 for most kits is ideal unless using a lager yeast whicb I will assume you are not

Yob

Just bottled my first batch today [biggrin] OS lager dry hopped with Cascade... I'm afraid I'll struggle to be patient. It was bad enough when the beer was sat in the fermenter for 12 days and I could observe it/test it/check temps etc... let alone when I have to leave it in the cupboard for 2 weeks minimum!

After a week, chill one and crack it open. I always like to have a tester after a week and its interesting to see the change after that date.

A word of warning though, they generally aren't the greatest beers after a week but you probably have 30 of them so you can afford to test one.

Archived