Coopers Community

Got a DIY beer kit for Christmas? Welcome!

Soundawake

Mikey, I've just started too. If you're just wanting to make nice beer then the Coopers gear is the best. You can even get all the ingredients you need in a single pack at the moment for the recipe of the month on the coopers online store.

Otherwise all the individual ingredients are there too, or at Big W as Jason said. Here's an example of what they have online - they also have the full range of brewing sugars normally and the other bits and pieces. I have one very close to me so it's easy for me to get it there if I forget something.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On another note, I bottled my third brew last night and nearly made a big booboo.

For my first two brews SWMBO helped me out by putting the carb drops in and the lids on while I filled bottles. I got about 10 bottled on this brew before I realised I hadn't put the carb drops in [pinched]

Luckily I realised [lol]

I hadn't screwed the lids on too tight so I didn't have to break the seal on my new lids [joyful]

Mikey, depending on what you are brewing as to where to get your ingredients. Also if you can get in on bulk buys is where you save the big $$$. However, if you are currently paying about $60 for kits then that is just a rip off in Australia and you will be far better off to get some Fresh Wort Kits (FWK) to make better beer and at a cheaper price.

An idea of some bulk prices are:

The last lot of hops I got I paid about $3.50 per 100g delivered to Tassie and the last lot of grains I got I paid under $2kg delivered.

If you let us know where you are located it will help to steer you in a cheaper direction.

Bill K. I'm in Perth (Down in sunny Armadale if that helps). Been buying these kits from these guys (lovely couple, always happy to chat and help) http://www.back2basicshomebrew.com.au/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=category&task=listing&cid=58&name=beer-kits&Itemid=9 ). But I'm happy to shop online if it cuts prices considerably. I'm not tied down to one particular beer so happy to chop and change. Just curious if the prices on the kits are reasonable or whether they're the beer equivalent of Telstra's internet plans.

Thanks again, ordered two of those fruit salad kits, sounds pretty tasty. The second brew I tried had those amarillo bags, I'm not proud of myself but I'll admit I just smelled that bugger for a solid ten minutes.

The Fruit Salad is a nice drop. One that Paul created [biggrin] Nevertheless, I'm sure if you buy the ingredients separately you will get it a lot cheaper than $38 through Big W and your LHBS. Albeit you don't get the key ring.

Sorry Coopers but:

$12 for the Can - Big W

about $10 for the hops

about $8 for LDM

You have to give them some credit Bill. The free delivery is good.

There should be more of it [rightful]

Although the prices of the products used to be cheaper than the LHBS but now they are pretty much the same.

I can drive 5km and pick up a can of malt extract for the same price with no delivery charge. Plus I can get some hops and grains (and good advice) at the same time.

You have to give them some credit Bill. The free delivery is good.

There should be more of it [rightful]

Although the prices of the products used to be cheaper than the LHBS but now they are pretty much the same.

I can drive 5km and pick up a can of malt extract for the same price with no delivery charge. Plus I can get some hops and grains (and good advice) at the same time.

To be honest I didn't even think about the free delivery [pinched] However by the looks of the pic above, the hops are poorly packaged and to be honest with regards to the state of my last delivery with the Malt Extract was a shocking state of affairs. Unless they have improved their packaging, I won't be arranging another delivery. Nevertheless, that can in the photo above doesn't look like it was run over by a truck which is a positive.

Nevertheless' date=' that can in the photo above doesn't look like it was run over by a truck which is a positive.[/quote']

Ain't that the truth, last time at Bigw I couldn't find a can that wasn't run over by the truck.

I was also too smart by half. Got SWMBO to go to THBS (on the way home from work) to get some grain, hops, dextrose and LDM and also a can of Draught. Needed two Draught cans but thought I would be smart and save some $$$ by shopping at BigW, an easy 20 minute drive, and besides I needed to go to the other LHBS to pick up their brand of LME. Got the LME went to BigW and lo and behold no Draught kits, ended up with a Real Ale. Sent SWMBO back to THBS for the Draught.

Moral of the story; Spent too much time and energy trying to save $3. From now on one stop shopping at LHBS for me.

• 10 months later...

Just a bump for this thread as we head into Christmas.

There is some good advice for those that wake on Christmas morning to find a brand spanking new Coopers DIY Kit under the tree and ask "where is the airlock?".

Assuming they could be bothered reading through 16 pages of this thread, including my ramblings [innocent]

Well just received my kit for Christmas (been hinting since Father's day [roll] ) so I thought I'd introduce myself as the latest eager newbie!

Just finished reading all 16 pages and have to say, what a thread! So much information for new brewers and you all seem to be a friendly bunch, which isn't always the case on forums.

Anyway, I wish I had read this thread before laying down my first brew, as I kind of rushed into it and am now thinking of scrapping the 23l and starting again with my newly acquired knowledge [biggrin] .

Basically, I made the standard lager this morning, following the kit instructions. My brew ended up around 31c but I pitched the yeast anyway as I didn't know any better. It's now sitting around 26c in the kitchen and is unlikely to get much cooler with the warm weather in Adelaide at the moment. By the sounds of it if I let this brew run its course it is going to be average at best.

I managed to find a cheapo fridge on Gumtree which I should be picking up tomorrow, so I am sorely tempted to cut my losses with this brew and start again with a pale ale kit and proper temperature control. Or should I just follow this one through for the learning process?

If I manage to get this brew under temperature control over the next day or so is there a chance I can save it?

Anyway' date=' I wish I had read this thread before laying down my first brew, as I kind of rushed into it and am now thinking of scrapping the 23l and starting again with my newly acquired knowledge [biggrin'] .

Basically, I made the standard lager this morning, following the kit instructions. My brew ended up around 31c but I pitched the yeast anyway as I didn't know any better. It's now sitting around 26c in the kitchen and is unlikely to get much cooler with the warm weather in Adelaide at the moment. By the sounds of it if I let this brew run its course it is going to be average at best.

I managed to find a cheapo fridge on Gumtree which I should be picking up tomorrow, so I am sorely tempted to cut my losses with this brew and start again with a pale ale kit and proper temperature control. Or should I just follow this one through for the learning process?

If I manage to get this brew under temperature control over the next day or so is there a chance I can save it?

Temp Control at this point may help a little bit depending on yeast activity. I recommend chucking it in a sink/tub/container full of water with some frozen water bottles once it gets hot, and wrapping a towel around it with the ends in the water. This should eliminate some esters they will produce that cause unwanted flavours in your beer.

Also keep it and learn from it is my recommendation. It may not be the best beer in the world but it will be drinkable and still have the desired effect.

Also leaving it for a couple of weeks in the fermenter should help the yeast clean up a bit and make it taste a bit better.

Welcome to the forum James and congratulations on making it through the 16 pages [biggrin]

As DOA said, try to get the temp down as much as possible and don't ditch it. You will still drink it and it will give you a guide to judge future brews.

And nice work scoring a fridge so early in your brewing hobby. There are plenty of threads on here regarding the STC1000 you should check out (if you haven't done so already).

This is the latest one:

STC1000

Thanks guys - I think I will keep the brew then. I'll get it in the fridge, probably on a timer for now, then leave it in the FV a week after initial fermentation. May even have a go at cold conditioning, depending how low this new (old) fridge will go.

I'll post back with results [biggrin] .

Welcome James!

No matter how much you messed it up, so long as it's not infected don't dump a brew. It might taste amazing, maybe, possibly...

Regardless, it will still be the best beer you've ever brewed and the second one will be even better with your new fridge and some hops and stuff [biggrin]

Well just received my kit for Christmas (been hinting since Father's day [roll] ) so I thought I'd introduce myself as the latest eager newbie!

Just finished reading all 16 pages and have to say, what a thread! So much information for new brewers and you all seem to be a friendly bunch, which isn't always the case on forums.

Anyway, I wish I had read this thread before laying down my first brew, as I kind of rushed into it and am now thinking of scrapping the 23l and starting again with my newly acquired knowledge [biggrin] .

welcome james..im new to this site too...will be great to watch you enjoy yourself on here...but dont evr...say yoll throw 23 litres out....im still shuddering and sobbing here......ive drunk many many kit brews made worse than you lol. cheers and welcome mate

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. My brew is now safely in its new home - a rather old Kelvinator fridge that should do the job nicely. I daren't turn it on until tomorrow though, after 20 minutes on its side in the back of the car [unsure] . Also, although the previous owner did a pretty good job of cleaning it out, it's still carrying some extremely pungent aromas (think curry house). I'm hoping an overnight airing should do the trick as, much as I love a good curry, I can't imagine jalfrezi lager going down too well.

So, $50 lighter already and I'm only on day two of my brewing career. Could have bought a slab of Pale for that! Now for the STC1000 and a trip to Jaycar...

Welcome to the forum Jimmy.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. My brew is now safely in its new home - a rather old Kelvinator fridge that should do the job nicely. I daren't turn it on until tomorrow though' date=' after 20 minutes on its side in the back of the car [unsure'] . Also, although the previous owner did a pretty good job of cleaning it out, it's still carrying some extremely pungent aromas (think curry house). I'm hoping an overnight airing should do the trick as, much as I love a good curry, I can't imagine jalfrezi lager going down too well.

So, $50 lighter already and I'm only on day two of my brewing career. Could have bought a slab of Pale for that! Now for the STC1000 and a trip to Jaycar...

I like this guy! [lol] [biggrin]

Anthony.

$50 lighter already and I'm only on day two of my brewing career. Could have bought a slab of Pale for that! Now for the STC1000 and a trip to Jaycar...

Aah, but Jimmy, for that $50 you can now make BETTER beer than CPA [lol] [rightful]

...and 2 slabs per batch.. seriously, that fridge is one of the best investments you can make for your brewery/beer.

A damn fine start.

Yob

Yob - don't worry I'm sold! Much as I love my Pale (did the Coopers tour for my birthday the other week), the thought of drinking my own beer is making me more excited than when I got my first Scalectrix!

The new STC1000 was dispatched today, so should have that all wired up next week. For now, making do with a cheapo timer from Bunnings. Fridge sat on 18c - only needed to come on for 15 mins every 3 hours today. Hoping this first brew can be saved yet...

Archived