Coopers Community

Got a DIY beer kit for Christmas? Welcome!

Soundawake

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heys!

So which method is better for adding hops? Dry hop or boil hop with wort ?

So dry hoping you just adds the sock with hops on it, and toss into the fermenter ? For how long ? At which stage of the brew ? How do I know when to drop the hops in it ?

I hope I can get some cool hops not sure If my provider will have the goods ones [crying]

Looking forward to brewing this Lager with hops. Ill prob do it in a few weeks, when I get the hops and rest of materials.

Thanks for you input guys. Happy brewing!

G'day brewers. Well i cracked one yeserday (Lawnmower Lager with Lager yeast and temps too high) suprisingly good. With increased carbonation and a milder flavour of the coming weeks i'll be happy.

Bottled a non-alcoholic ginger beer this morning for my son (in fact he bottled and carbed, i just capped the PET bottles). However, i've kept 8 litres to add LDM and 250g Brown sugar, which will go in tonight with a little extra yeast from a spare coopers can.

Very keen to get my pale ale bottled!

Q: i've got a spare FV that is the old white-bucket-with-a-hole-in-it one. But the tap (screw thread) is broken. Can i get a replacement tap for this? Don't want to buy a new FV for such a simple issue.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Q: i've got a spare FV that is the old white-bucket-with-a-hole-in-it one. But the tap (screw thread) is broken. Can i get a replacement tap for this? Don't want to buy a new FV for such a simple issue.

Thanks for all your help so far.

you can absolutely get replacement elements for fermenters.

i see you're in Canberra - depending on where you are it's a bit of a drive (i'm in gungahlin) but Brew Your Own at Home in the Kambah Village (right down the back, not near the supermarket) has all this type of stuff. everything you need, and unfortunately for my bank balance, a heap of stuff that you never knew you needed and never knew you'd want.

the blokes there are friendly, extremely knowledgable, and if they aren't too busy they'll spend ages chatting to you.

as a new home brewer in canberra, the first visit is the best trip you'll ever take for your home brewing. they're the only place in Canberra with a full selection of yeasts kept in the fridge and full selection of hops kept in the freezer.

it can be a costly trip, because their stuff is all more expensive than what you can get it online, or even at Butts n Brews in Kaleen, but you can't really put a price on the advice and the ability to get everything in the one place. and if you're southside, it's more convenient anyway.

for the record, Butts n Brew in Kaleen is good, and the guy is really friendly when you've been there a couple of times and he starts to recognise you. but i don't think he's particularly knowledgeable, and one of the first bits of advice i remember reading on brewing was "if your brew shop doesn't keep hops in the freezer and yeast in the fridge - find a new home brew shop." his are kept on the shelf...

but with that said, their extract cans are on average $4 cheaper, and their bottle trees are $13 cheaper. for me, i just have 2 brew stores now...

(we should really have a sticky thread where people can discuss brew shops in different areas and online brew shops, because i've had a couple of really crap experiences with online shops too!)

1.7kg can of Coopers Draught

1.5kg can of Coopers Amber Malt

250g of LDME (plus another 100g in my hop boil)

25g Cascade hops @ 30 mins

20g Galaxy hops @ 10 mins

15g Galaxy hops @ flame out

US-05 yeast rehydrated/activated in warm water and malt/sugar using the John Palmer method

you don't get too many "what did i do right?" threads, but i'm loving the hell out of this beer's fermentation.

yeast was pitched at about 22 degrees and has been sitting in a fridge right on 18 degrees since then.

there's heaps of condensation, it smells amazing, and it's the thickest, tightest Krausen that i've ever seen.

what have i done right here? why is this so much better looking and smelling than everything else i've done?

is it down to:

A) rehydrating the yeast?

B) using all malt instead of sugar

C) being at optimum temperature all the time?

D) all the above?

i had initially thought it was due to what i did with the yeast, but before i started espousing the virtues of this to other new brewers, i thought i'd better confirm that this is actually what caused it :P

Hi Guys,

Got a Coopers kit from the missus for Christmas and made up the Lager included with the kit. Temp was a bit high when I added the yeast (around 29 Celsius). The temperature was around 26 Celsius during fermentation. I got a OG of 1.034 and bottled 10 days later with a FG of 1.009, using 2 Coopers carbonation drops for the 740ml bottles.

14 days later I put the bottles in the fridge and started drinking them. It tastes and smells fine, and gets a decent head on it when first poured, but unfortunately it seems to disappear quite quickly. I find that unless I pour it into a glass and drink it within 5 minutes it is near completely flat.

Any ideas what I may have done wrong? I've got a Coopers Pale Ale brewing at the moment and made sure this time to keep the temp down when adding the yeast (22 Celsius), and am managing to maintain this temperature throughout the day by using a wet towel, with it dropped slightly more at night (20ish Celsius). This brew will also be going into glass 750ml crown seal bottles (not sure if I will use the plastic ones again).

Cheers,

Kev

1.7kg can of Coopers Draught

1.5kg can of Coopers Amber Malt

250g of LDME (plus another 100g in my hop boil)

25g Cascade hops @ 30 mins

20g Galaxy hops @ 10 mins

15g Galaxy hops @ flame out

US-05 yeast rehydrated/activated in warm water and malt/sugar using the John Palmer method

hi, I just wanted to ask a quick question about this brew.

it's now on day 7, having spent the hole time in a fridge set at 17.4 degrees, with 2 stick on thermometers saying 18 degrees.

today is the first SG i've taken, it's 1012, which is about what i was expecting it to get down to. so it's nearly finished it's ferment. (incidentally, damn it's malty and bitter! [happy] )

my question - this brew still has a really thick Krausen sitting on top of it. why is this? i thought they collapsed after a couple of days. this hasn't at all. does that mean it hasn't finished its ferment? do i need to wait for it to go down before bottling? (i'm planning on putting it up a couple of degrees and then possibly cold crashing first)

thanks.

US-05 oftens creates a krausen that hangs around for ages. It does go down though, sometimes magically overnight.

It you are planning on waiting a few extra days and then cold crashing, it will be gone when it is time to bottle.

It looks like a nice drop.

Hey my fellow beer fans,

Just like many others I received the TC diy beer kit for XMAS. I finally had my first lager the other night. It was pretty good except it was not carbonated enough for a lager. If it was a stout it would have been perfect. Dont get me wrong, the lack of bubbles did not hold me back from puttin down a few. Havent had a beer that wasnt worth drinking.

I would really apprieciate some feed back. I followed the included instructions to a "T". Not sure what happened..

I am looking to brew an IPA next, which is my brew of choice. Any pointers on that would be great also.

Bobby

It has been bottled for almost two weeks and in the fridge chillig for three days. Im getting the feeling that I rushed the process. No different than a kid on XMAS. Will it carbonate in the fridge or only at a cool room temp. Next batch I will be taking my time.

Thanks fro the help..Bobby

.... Will it carbonate in the fridge or only at a cool room temp. ....Bobby

Hey Bobby

I don't believe it will carbonate in the fridge, the carbonation process relies on active yeast feeding off the priming sugar thus creating alcohol and CO2. Placing the bottles in the fridge too early puts the yeast to sleep and stops the carbonation process; this method is used when brewing root beer to stop the fermentation process.

Hey fellows, The Girl got me a kit for my birthday in December last year. Made the coopers whosywhatsit beer, was full of questions and doubt. Found this place and it's been a real great help. Now onto my third attempt, temp controller on the way, mangled a poor unassuming bar fridge. Blah blah blah, Yob, you are a great and knowledgable person, Good on ya!

P.S everyone else who shares tips/answers is pretty tops too but noones name is as easy to remember as Yob

Now for my question. I've been buying kits from the local homebrew store that are made by Brewcraft. bout 36-60 dollars a pop and they come with all you need to make whatever style of beer (or even cider, man, that one smells amazing) you like. Is there a cheaper way of doing this. As in, is there somewhere I can buy dextrose and all those other sugars/malts/things I've forgotten in bulk. Or does it end up being about the same price. Thanks guys

Welcome to the forum Mikey...ect, Im not sure were you live but a good start to saving brew money is to buy Coopers stuff from BigW. The Brewcrart stuff is from the UK (the can)so its always going to cost more.

Buying bulk is a good way to save $$$. Hops are about $10 per 100gms, grains around $6-$7 per kg, Dried malt is about $8-$11 per kg and dextros is about $3-$5 per kg and yeast is around $5-$7 per pack....and you can use them more than once. Have a shop around and look at the Brewcraft kits see whats inside them and compare price per gms/kgs, to see how much more they are really costing you.

Archived