Coopers Community

Got a DIY beer kit for Christmas? Welcome!

Soundawake

Yoda's, your wisdom please.

I've got to head to sydney for the weekend, leaving friday arvo. ACT is expecting mid 20C each day. house will probably stay 2-3C lower when locked up. Tomorrow (friday) is day 6, but I wanted to leave it at least a few more days to clean up the flavours. Given that i don't even know if the FG is consistent yet too!

Do i risk it or bottle it tomorrow before i head up to Sydney?

thanks

Leave it for another week. It will do wonders for the end result.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just bottled my first brew, an Australian Pale Ale. Was awesome! Question though, when it gets to the point where the beer in the wort is lower than the tap, do you just tilt and try get as much out of it as you can? I did this, but noticed all the beers from there in were really cloudy from the sediment on the bottom of the wort.

Yep, I too only tilt it once. Some people I know put a cutting board or similar under one end of the fermenter to assist. I don't worry about a little sediment going into the keg at this stage as I gelatin and everything just drops out under cold and time anyway. I only make sure not a lot goes in but a little doesn't hurt.

Ok cheers guys. I'll know for next time to try decant it. I've labelled the cloudy ones differently so I can test them out separate and see the taste difference.

It won't taste any different unless you pour it in the glass as well. You should be able to pour the beer off it from the bottle, no problems.

Thank you to the Yoda's. The force is clearly getting stronger.

Leave it for another week. It will do wonders for the end result.

Will do, without fear.

Hey LeCoq (it feels wrong saying that).

You may call me The Rooster, if you're uncomfortable with french.

Further, all, I think it was Hairy who said I am probably brewing a steam ale. Turns out I am. It is made from lager yeast. I've had a steam ale on tap in ACT and I really liked it. Based on that, they leave it in the FV for 3 weeks. I don't feel confident to let it go that long but I'm happy I'm not too far from something good.

Also, I mentioned upon first joining my love of Silly Saison. Research has led me to a clone recipe. Does anyone have any experience brewing the Saison style? It is brewed in higher temps too. i just need to find somewhere that stocks Saison yeast. Any info and experience would be great.

Thanks again.

I decant the last couple of litres into a jug with one tilt of the FV, this reduces the amount of sediment you will get in the last bottles/stubbies.

Whilst this will minimise sediment transfer, wouldn't it also promote oxygenation and thus oxidation? So you'd perhaps be better off not doing this?

of course I wasn't able to wait to do a second batch. i had planned to wait on a fridge, but it's still weeks away. I've checked the forecast, and while I'm not confident I can keep it between 18-20, I have the weekend to figure out how to use the laundry sink and ice blocks to keep it around 18-22.

gave up on the cerveza for now. after being disappointed by how bland the lager tastes after its first fermentation, I wanted a bigger beer with some taste.

APA can

500g LDM

750g BE2

15g cascade hops steeped.

will dry hop another 10g cascade on day 3

kit yeast

the LDM clumped a bit, I didn't use enough boiling water. clearly the answer here is a good 2-3l of hot water and then using chilled water.

1.7l wasn't enough boiling water to dissolve sugars, and it still came out at about 25 degrees. put it in the ice bath and 10 mins later it was down to 22 so I pitched the yeast.

fingers crossed. I'm quite excited about this one.

just keep swimming... I mean... stirring.. also, dme / dex wont clump in cold water, then just add the heat... ie: 2 lt cold water, add dry ingredients then add 1lt boiling water... top up and pitch yeast[rightful]

[whistling

thanks for the dme/dex trick going forward. you'd think if it's that easy the instructions would tell you to do this!

i wasn't that worried, i fussed managed to stir most of it out. i had one big clump that i had to physically break up, but i even got most of that stirred out. at best, i thought it would break up during fermentation. at worst, it'll settle at the bottom and it'll just be sugar that's not in my beer.

OG was only 1042, topped up to 22l, which seemed a tad low - but i'm sure that's on account of some of the sugar clumps.

I decant the last couple of litres into a jug with one tilt of the FV, this reduces the amount of sediment you will get in the last bottles/stubbies.

Whilst this will minimise sediment transfer, wouldn't it also promote oxygenation and thus oxidation? So you'd perhaps be better off not doing this?

Not if you decant it properly!

Cheers,

Peter

You can try Craftbrewer and this yeast:

Wyeast 3724 - Belgian Saison

I haven't brewed a Saison but I have tasted a couple of very nice locally brewed ones.

Thanks Hairy. I noticed a couple of other saison yeasts too. I'm thinking i'll do a bit of imported research on the saison style. Just so I know what i'm talking about[innocent]

Was my birthday yesterday and received a bottle capper. Now to the bottle tree. Setting up my fridge this week. THe world is looking golden.

Hey guys!

Since I didn't wanna make a new thread I'm going to ask a question tru here.

So I'm on day 5 of fermentation and still has a bit of foam on top. I haven't removed the kraussen collar because it says remove on day 3 of fermentation OR until foam is gone or dissipated to a minimum. I noticed the temp the last 2 days has been around 14-16, I've been trying to bump it up a bit back to 18-20. But I think I'm gonna have to turn the fridge off for a few hours every day.

Question is. Is this normal that on day 5 of fermentation there could still be about 10cm of foam layer on top ? Is this because of the low temp ? What would you suggest ?

Thanks guys. Happy Brewing!

Master Brewers....

I took your advice and left my brew at about 18 for the week and all has gone nicely. I've just measured 1.012 for two days in a row - so fermentation is complete. I saw a post somewhere around here that brining the temp back up for a few days will clear the beer or do something for the flavour? Silly Melbourne weather has improved so my beer is up to 23 today. The beer smells like beer and also tastes like beer, albeit not quite right beer. So, shall I bottle now or tomorrow? [EDIT] the temp will be warm again tomorrow so I'm thinking the beer will hover around 23 again - temp won't drop too much overnight.

Cheers for the advice so far.

Id leave it a few more days till it cools down again and bottle it then mate, not going to hurt it at all. Im a big fan of raising the temps toward the end... I'd try to not get it any/much higher though... about 20's or so is great to keep them active but you dont want them too active yeah?

Came home from work chucked my hydrometer under the tap to test it didnt think about how hot the water was melted the plastic no biggie got another one in the shed. Went to test my Mexican larger as there has been no activity in the air lock but condensation on the lid pulled a sample out was very very cloudy had alot of junk in the hydrometer and the reading came up as 1020 not sure if it has began fermentation as i forgot to take an SG [crying] Am planning to check if the gravity lowers over the next day or so also the sample i had in my mouth pretty muched turned to cream in my mouth is my brew INFECTED AHHHHHHH [crying] any thaughts welcome

I would guess that your OG would have been higher than 1020. Based on that, and the condensation etc, I would say it is fermenting.

Don't rely on the airlock as a sign of fermentation.

As for the infection, how did it taste (besides creamy)? Was it sour or like vinegear?

Archived