Coopers Community

Got a DIY beer kit for Christmas? Welcome!

Soundawake

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's funny as I'd heard other people talk about how crucial the airlock was to the process, kinda turned me off starting up the hobby as it sounded more like work then fun.

When the wife got me the kit and there was no airlock I figured if it's good enough for Coopers to put their name on it it's good enough for me to use it. Also seemed more hassle free really.

Should be tasting my first brew in a week or so, got a cider in the FV at the moment, and an English Bitter is next. The EB will also be my first attempt with hops and grain, can hardly wait.

BREW SITTING on 20C after 12 Hours of fridge!

How crucial are the clips for the lid ? It's says to use when HIGH fermentation is expected, meaning when brewing something with like 2 yeast satchels of something right ?

Should I use the clips for this dark ale brew ?

And also how harm will it do if I open up the lid during fermentation process ? I opened this morning to check and it looks decent... foam forming up about 2 fingers width so I'm guessing it's on the right track. But now that I did it I think I might have interrupted the process of fermentation. Either way I wont open it again.

Thanks guys!

Happy brewing!

Sometimes it is a bit hard to predict whether it will be a high krausen. But I think you will be ok with your dark ale. It shouldn't be that big that it reaches the top and knocks the lid off. That is usually Russian Imperial Stout stuff.

But if you have the clips there is no harm clipping them on.

There is no problem with opening the lid and it won't interrupt the fermentation process. The fermentation will produce a C02 which creates a protective layer over the wort. There are times when you have to open the lid like when you are dry hopping.

But try not to do it too often. You don't want dust, dirt or something worse dropping in whilst you have the lid open.

It sounds like it is all going well.

I have never used the clips and have never had a problem.

Just to be cautious I only ever remove the lid when I really really really need to. Hrrrmmm the only time I do is if I am dumping some hops in and then I only lift one side of it and do not remove the lid entirely. I don't even take the krausen collar off. Napisan fixes that up and no elbow grease required.

Thanks Hairy!

I will open it more often then. I just opened like 2 times during this first 18 hours. Just got home from work and It looking incredible.

Theres a huge Valley of foam on top sitting really nice. I'm gonna post a picture best shot I could get real quick. And yea temps sitting really nice between 18 and 20C. I'm a happy men [biggrin]

Heres a link to my blog on it. It's in spanish but you can see the pictures :-D

Kike Homebrewing Blog

Happy Brewing! Cheers

BTW I took off the clips yesterday a few hours after my post. I realized later they weren't necessary for my brew. If it get's too high I'll clip it!

It's in spanish but you can see the pictures

I take it the pictures aren't in Spanish then [innocent]

Hopefully you get to brew again before next Christmas or there won't be much material for your blog.

All the best mate!

WTF is with that second picture? What do the comments say? Ive never seen anything like that in my life [lol]

That is some weird science thing going on there... most interesting

Yob

P.S - Love the count down [lol] [lol]

Howdy!

I personaly didn't think foam could turn like that. LOL. If you look closer it looks as if it was some sort of mountain valley. It smells delicious btw! :-D

Gee it looks as if the can had been run over by a tank! [pinched]

Yea I know Airlanes wouldnt let me just take the box i had to buy a special bag to put the fermenter on, rest was magic. Tho the can took that beating, luckily didn't break the seal, no leaks no scratches or anything.

I take it the pictures aren't in Spanish then Innocent

Hopefully you get to brew again before next Christmas or there won't be much material for your blog.

All the best mate!

Thanks!

I think my brother is coming for summer. I might get a hold of another fantastic Coopers Kit :-D.

Kike, from where are you sourcing our products?

Here in Venezuela I haven't seen them anywhere. Turns out my brother lives in Dallas, TX and hes been brewing for about 2 years. This year I couldn't resist so I bought the kit. Problem was that the Airline wouldn't let me take the box as a piece of luggage cause of the high season on flights. So I had to magically take the kit on special suitcases a duffel bag and cases. And It survived!

Original Ingredients from the starter kit, but a Dark Ale kit being brewed that I bought extra. Rest of my ingredients where: 100g of pure FRUCTOSE closest I could get to a sweet but low on sugars corn sugar, it has some other components I can't remember, but mostly corn sugar. Other ingredient was 2 spoons of a really thick national product called "Melaza de Ca\xf1a de Azucar" basically is concentrated Sugar Cane extract, but it really really thick and dark, it has kind of a caramel but chocolaty cocoa on it. It's really hard to describe, I personally love the flavor of sugar cane presented a caramel concentrated extract, it's kind of like the dark ale beer kit thick and dark.

Next ingredient was 1 little spoon of roasted ground coffee grains from a special crop of one of my uncles. It's a seed he brought from Italy I think. Hes really into farming.

I really didn't want to add too much extra for this recipe since it's my first. But I went for it with those. LOL

WTF is with that second picture? What do the comments say? Ive never seen anything like that in my life Lol

That is some weird science thing going on there... most interesting

Yob

P.S - Love the count down Lol Lol

A 12 Horas de Fermentacion asi se ve la Diabla. Means at 12 hours from fermentation, this is how the devil looks!. LOL

There is definitely some weird science going on. Hahahaha.

Countdown FTW. I want a digital one on my Garage wall in front of my car [crying]

A bit like this creature? Lol

LOL its lost twin!

Happy Brewing all! Cheers.

I didn't know about Argentina. Thanks for that. I'll have to check the fares. It might close the same we pay for shipping from the US. And yea I'm thinking of sending everything to my brother. And rest would be to pay or just wait :-(

I tell come for June. I'll tell him to get me some kits on his way here!

Yoda's, your wisdom please.

I've got to head to sydney for the weekend, leaving friday arvo. ACT is expecting mid 20C each day. house will probably stay 2-3C lower when locked up. Tomorrow (friday) is day 6, but I wanted to leave it at least a few more days to clean up the flavours. Given that i don't even know if the FG is consistent yet too!

Do i risk it or bottle it tomorrow before i head up to Sydney?

thanks

Hey LeCoq (it feels wrong saying that).

Just leave it til you get back. The extra time will be beneficial.

And if the temp creeps up to the early to mid 20's after 6 days of fermentation then it isn't a big deal.

I've got to head to sydney for the weekend, leaving friday arvo. ACT is expecting mid 20C each day. house will probably stay 2-3C lower when locked up. Tomorrow (friday) is day 6, but I wanted to leave it at least a few more days to clean up the flavours. Given that i don't even know if the FG is consistent yet too!

Do i risk it or bottle it tomorrow before i head up to Sydney?

thanks

I only have one brew fridge (yeah I know - buts what's a bloke to do?) but often have 2 or more batches brewing. When keeping more than one cool is the issue I place the FV in a plastic container which is about 400-450mm high with 2-3 frozen 1.5L (or whatever) softdrink bottles (they're full of ice[roll] ) in with it and place another plastic container (the same kind as the base) on top upside-down, making an enclosed box. Sometimes I place a rubber backed picnic blanket over the top to act as insulation. Whether this has any effect or not who knows?

This keeps the brew at a reasonable temp.

(two big esky's would also work, I guess.)

But yeah, after all that, sorry, I'd leave it.

Tomorrow (friday) is day 6, but I wanted to leave it at least a few more days to clean up the flavours. Given that i don't even know if the FG is consistent yet too!

Hey Dene

According to Yob or Bill who have spent some time researching Yeast it won't hurt to let the temperature increase after 6 days. Its bound to be close to being finished and apparently an increase in temperature gives the yeast the motivation they need to clean up the off flavours.

Cheers

Archived