Coopers Community

Replace 1kg beer enhancer #3 with whole grain malts

Jimmeh

Hey everyone,

I'm relatively new to home brewing & my starting point was using brew in the bag / whole grain recipes. 

Right now I'd like to make a reasonable clone of Coopers Stout and figure the best middle ground would be to use a Coopers Stout extract can & follow the recipe in DYIbeer.com, but replace the 1kg packet of beer enhancer #3 called for in the recipe with whole grain malt(s).  I’d brew the stout similar way to those RoM beer kits. 
I'd really appreciate advice as to what malt(s) to use as a replacement to the packet of beer enhancer & roughly how much of each to use for a 23L batch. My biab efficiency is about 70%.
Have spent some time looking for similar topics / posts on the forum, but not been able to filter results sufficiently to find relevant posts….must be getting old (or this is a completely dumb idea)! 
Thanks & 🍻
Jimmy 😊
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimmeh said:

Hey everyone,

I'm relatively new to home brewing & my starting point was using brew in the bag / whole grain recipes. 

Right now I'd like to make a reasonable clone of Coopers Stout and figure the best middle ground would be to use a Coopers Stout extract can & follow the recipe in DYIbeer.com, but replace the 1kg packet of beer enhancer #3 called for in the recipe with whole grain malt(s).  I’d brew the stout similar way to those RoM beer kits. 
I'd really appreciate advice as to what malt(s) to use as a replacement to the packet of beer enhancer & roughly how much of each to use for a 23L batch. My biab efficiency is about 70%.
Have spent some time looking for similar topics / posts on the forum, but not been able to filter results sufficiently to find relevant posts….must be getting old (or this is a completely dumb idea)! 
Thanks & 🍻
Jimmy 😊

Hi @Jimmeh

Welcome to the forum, there are others more experienced than I in this area, but I found this from one of our brewers @beach_life I am sure he won't mind.

Cheers

Phil

22 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

A can of coopers stout + 1.0-1.5kg of dark dried malt extract makes a good stout. 

KISS

Ale DME would be ok too

I have a stout aging, 2 months now, using the recipe above.

I should get one and try it! Bit early, I have others to drink.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

I have a stout aging, 2 months now, using the recipe above.

I should get one and try it! Bit early, I have others to drink.

If you've got 20+ litres of it you should absolutely try one now. At least I would.

• Like 1

Maybe something like 1 can of Coopers OS stout.

3.5 kilo of of ale malt. 

100 grams of roast barley.

100 grams of dark chocolate malt.

Make sure the grains are milled and do a mini mash, add the can after. That would make a nice stout.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Kegory said:

If you've got 20+ litres of it you should absolutely try one now. At least I would.

My current stout has been aging for four and a half months,

I'm only a third into that batch, plenty of time Yet..

• Like 1

You are going into partial mash territory here. If you are using a coopers stout extract can, then the OG will be around 1.028 if used alone for a 23L batch. Adding a BIAB amount of 2kg of base malt grains of choice should bring your OG to between 1.040-1.050 depending on your efficiency. Depending on how flavourful you want your brew, or the style you are trying to achieve you can either use straight base malt or split your 2kg by adding 100g or so of specialty malts like chocolate or whatever you like.  If you are new, probably keep it simple and use base malts so you can get a reference point to what you can improve on next time. I hope this gives you a starting point. Cheers 🍺

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

You are going into partial mash territory here. If you are using a coopers stout extract can, then the OG will be around 1.028 if used alone for a 23L batch. Adding a BIAB amount of 2kg of base malt grains of choice should bring your OG to between 1.040-1.050

Mashing only 2kg of grain ( with a can of stout ), with an efficiency of around 75% is only going to give around 4.5% abv at 23 litres. 

Hes after a Coopers Stout type of beer. More grain needed.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jimmeh said:

Hey everyone,

Thanks & 🍻
Jimmy 😊

Hey Jimmy, Welcome to the Forum.

Definitely not a dumb idea.  I did something similar a few brews ago.  I mashed 1kg of Ale Malt to make up some fermentables and the rest was a Dark Ale can and a Dark Liquid Extract can.

@Pale Man is on the money.  If you want a stout around 5.5% ABV and you are using a Coopers Stout extract can, then 3.5kg of Ale Malt in 10-12 litres of water will do the job.  Try to keep the temperature between 60-70°C for an hour.

• Like 4

Good advice @Pale Man & thanks & 🍻everyone for your thoughts! I’m not aiming for a 6.3% Best Extra Stout this time round; something a little more sessional & ready to drink. Recipe is as per the basic DYI Coopers Stout, which calls for the 1.7kg extract can & 1kg of brew enhancer 3. With really limited experience (this would be my 3rd brew & 1st stout)  I don’t want things to get out of control too quickly…Baby steps😂

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Jimmeh said:

I’m not aiming for a 6.3% Best Extra Stout this time round; something a little more sessional & ready to drink. Recipe is as per the basic DYI Coopers Stout, which calls for the 1.7kg extract can & 1kg of brew enhancer 3.

I was confused about that because I couldn't find the recipe with the Brew Enhancer in the Recipe section. I just found it now using the Extract Recipe Spreadsheet. How did you find it, if you don't mind me asking?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmeh said:

Good advice @Pale Man & thanks & 🍻everyone for your thoughts! I’m not aiming for a 6.3% Best Extra Stout this time round; something a little more sessional & ready to drink. Recipe is as per the basic DYI Coopers Stout, which calls for the 1.7kg extract can & 1kg of brew enhancer 3. With really limited experience (this would be my 3rd brew & 1st stout)  I don’t want things to get out of control too quickly…Baby steps😂

No worries fella. In your first post you said you wanted a Coopers Stout clone, thats why I ran with my recipe. 

Yes something more sessionable as @Cheap Charlie mentioned.  2 kilo of grain in a mash would be nice.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Vincent said:

1st time up - pays to keep it simple. Add 1.5kg can of Coopers dark liquid malt and use Mangrove Jack M15 packet yeast plus the Coopers yeast. Expect fermentation to be longer.

I can't understand why people use dried malt as it's more expensive and gives less body and mouth feel.

Yeah but you have always got that liquid malt taste which makes it a bit meh