Coopers Community

Gabs Beer festival

ozdevil

Hey all  one of the biggest beer events is coming soon  

Pre-ticket sales went on sale today  for Melbourne not sure about the other states that do Gabs

I secured a Season Pass  as i plan to go each day this year  to get around all the vendors there
and hopefully catching a few people there

• Like 2

@ozdevil, I had a look at the GABS website - wow! One for the young or young at heart - lots of fun and lots of beer and interesting people to meet. However, the website is not that up-front about the prices. You think it is good value?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jennyss said:

@ozdevil, I had a look at the GABS website - wow! One for the young or young at heart - lots of fun and lots of beer and interesting people to meet. However, the website is not that up-front about the prices. You think it is good value?

if your into craft beer  and  have the passion yes.   it may not be for the homebrewer that wants to brew megaswill  and on the cheap

i love craft beer , i have drank and tasted alot of  breweries  and have followed quite a few through their journey   where some have started  brewing just like yourself brewing extract
its a great way   to get to taste  alot of craft brewers  delights while having a chat with the brewer as well under the 1 roof then having to drive or fly around the country

Gabs is the pinnicle for craft brewers in Australia

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

if your into craft beer  and  have the passion yes.   it may not be for the homebrewer that wants to brew megaswill  and on the cheap

i love craft beer , i have drank and tasted alot of  breweries  and have followed quite a few through their journey   where some have started  brewing just like yourself brewing extract
its a great way   to get to taste  alot of craft brewers  delights while having a chat with the brewer as well under the 1 roof then having to drive or fly around the country

Gabs is the pinnicle for craft brewers in Australia

I would second that, I also have got to meet a few Craft Brewery owners even here in Adelaide, our good friend @Hoppy81 would be known by most on this forum, although I haven't actually visited him, he has been here a few times & even stayed here so I well & truly got to taste his beers & many others 🤣

There are a couple more in the Adelaide Hills, Port Adelaide & some in rural areas & apart from meeting them, supplying them with Stubby Holders, Bar Mats etc we have become good friends.

They are all passionate about their craft & produce some very good beers.

@MitchBastard deserves a mention too with his newly formed https://www.padre.beer/

Some of you would remember his journey on here getting to winning competitions, actually working in a brewery & now opening his own.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That looks like quite a challenge: 5 sessions, 60 exhibitors. There must be around 500-600 beers to try. I guess some are ciders.

What's your budget for this @ozdevil? Even if only trying the tasting paddles it doesn't look like there'd be much change from $1k.

The Melbourne event is conveniently close enough to my birthday to treat myself to it. Wouldn't leave any time for golf that weekend, though.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ozdevil said:

Pre-ticket sales went on sale today  for Melbourne not sure about the other states that do Gabs

I secured a Season Pass  as i plan to go each day this year  to get around all the vendors there

Hey Oz @ozdevil, whaddya get with the season pass - what's that include?

5 hours ago, Kegory said:

That looks like quite a challenge: 5 sessions, 60 exhibitors. There must be around 500-600 beers to try. I guess some are ciders.

What's your budget for this @ozdevil? Even if only trying the tasting paddles it doesn't look like there'd be much change from $1k.

The Melbourne event is conveniently close enough to my birthday to treat myself to it. Wouldn't leave any time for golf that weekend, though.

mate  i will be allowing myself 500 bucks but may go overboard and spend the mrs's retirement fund

i plan to take it easy  and do all  the day sessions each day

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd love to go to GABS but will be overseas when the Brisbane event is on 😞  

I missed out last year because I wasn't going to risk Covid a week before I was about to board a plane overseas and the year before it was a no show. Maybe next year I can go again. I liked it when I was there. So many good beers to try and so many brewers to chat to. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@ozdevil so you still aren't sure about the arvo sessions yet but got the pass just in case? I may have to give this a go myself.

Day time sounds good enough time to get trains etc without getting lost and waking up in a park

I am pretty certain about going to the Arvo sessions as its much easier for me to get home  then heading to a night session and getting the choo choo train back out to where i am and dont want to be spending over $100 bucks +  on uber or taxi just to get home

if i do hang around  for a night session (may happen as i may play golf in the Morning then head in the arfternoon on the Saturday catch tail end of arvo and then do part of the night session on Saturday

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

wonder what they do if you go to both sessions in a day? kick you out for hour and half or you get to stay in?

Well that is an interesting one .  Spescially for those with season passes.

anthor way you can do this is by volunteering to work at gabs which gives you  2 free entries to another session   and if your shift finishes mid session you can hang around and enjoy a beer

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ozdevil said:

Well that is an interesting one .  Spescially for those with season passes.

anthor way you can do this is by volunteering to work at gabs which gives you  2 free entries to another session   and if your shift finishes mid session you can hang around and enjoy a beer

Stuff working at a place with alcohol lol 😆.  Ok so we are unsure if you get kicked out and then let back in? maby I should email them.  Would assume it's to clean up in between 

43 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Stuff working at a place with alcohol lol 😆.  Ok so we are unsure if you get kicked out and then let back in? maby I should email them.  Would assume it's to clean up in between 

plenty of places to freshen up for a second session lol , 

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/3/2023 at 3:51 PM, ozdevil said:

I'll be on my lonesome at the Saturday daytime session, Oz, if you wanna compare notes.

9 hours ago, Kegory said:

I'll be on my lonesome at the Saturday daytime session, Oz, if you wanna compare notes.

sounds good mate   might not get there till late in the day due to playing golf

pm your name and number and i will give you a message  on the day

Wow, there is a seriously daunting amount of beers to try, plus tasty (not necessarily healthy) food, and events and activities plus music.

Here are a few snaps from late in Session 1 at the Royal Exhibition Building in Melbourne.

IMG_20230519_160040912.thumb.jpg.5ae913e18ec2d890e65f63eb0f33238e.jpg

IMG_20230519_160141942.thumb.jpg.0ce676fa5591bfe674c4272b098ee381.jpg

IMG_20230519_161714920.thumb.jpg.6669114ae2ba212a4a6ad480801884f5.jpg

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Wow, there is a seriously daunting amount of beers to try, plus tasty (not necessarily healthy) food, and events and activities plus music.

Here are a few snaps from late in Session 1 at the Royal Exhibition Building in Melbourne.

IMG_20230519_160040912.thumb.jpg.5ae913e18ec2d890e65f63eb0f33238e.jpg

IMG_20230519_160141942.thumb.jpg.0ce676fa5591bfe674c4272b098ee381.jpg

IMG_20230519_161714920.thumb.jpg.6669114ae2ba212a4a6ad480801884f5.jpg

did you get a season pass 

i'm dissapointed io didnt get todays session

looking forward to tommorow  

i'll be on my own  and can do last session as well @Kegory

• Like 1

also anyone wanting a free pass on sunday  to melbourne session pm   last session is 11.30am till 5:30pm i belive give or take

pm  before 9am sunday morning i'll give you   my  ticket.   access will be granted on the sunday

Edited by ozdevil

7 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

did you get a season pass 

i'm dissapointed io didnt get todays session

looking forward to tommorow  

i'll be on my own  and can do last session as well @Kegory

You've got a lot of catching up to do, Oz.

No, I just got individual tickets to the three day sessions. Gotta know one's limits 

I'll be there on Sunday, too, with @Stickers

Edited by Kegory
No changes, just celebrating getting a tag to work.
  • Like 1