Coopers Community

decanting into presure barrel

waddo 1

hi all back to brewing since the 1980s and how home brewing as come along since i stopped producing it..my question is ..how much sugar do i put in my barrel when i decant into it for secondary brew,the instructions say 250g of carbonation drops required for bottling,would this be the same amount of sugar (not )drops for barreling..

many thanks .. hank

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, waddo 1 said:

hi all back to brewing since the 1980s and how home brewing as come along since i stopped producing it..my question is ..how much sugar do i put in my barrel when i decant into it for secondary brew,the instructions say 250g of carbonation drops required for bottling,would this be the same amount of sugar (not )drops for barreling..

many thanks .. hank

Hi Hank, welcome to the forum. Others will probably be able to help you but in the meantime it would help if you give as much info as you can about the style of beer, (to see what CO2 Volumes would suit) the volume of the wort you wish to bulk prime etc. If of course that's what you're doing. 

There are differences between each of the priming sugars we use to prime so you'd also need to make the necessary adjustments.

Am I reading it right - that you want to decant your wort from its primary FV to a secondary vessel to bulk prime?

16 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Hi Hank, welcome to the forum. Others will probably be able to help you but in the meantime it would help if you give as much info as you can about the style of beer, (to see what CO2 Volumes would suit) the volume of the wort you wish to bulk prime etc. If of course that's what you're doing. 

There are differences between each of the priming sugars we use to prime so you'd also need to make the necessary adjustments.

Am I reading it right - that you want to decant your wort from its primary FV to a secondary vessel to bulk prime?

you are reading it right mike.i am going to berw the coopers lager but i dosent give a suger dosage for barreling into presure barrel..

IMG_20230218_184554.jpg

@waddo 1  have alook on brewers friends  they  can do the calculations for you  to how much sugar you need to bulk prime with and  priming sugar options

I think most guys depending on what they are brewing and for ales they are looking around 2.0-2.7 volumes of co2  over 20°c    which  will be around 170grams of table sugar some may go to 180grams

but have a look at the Priming calculator   

https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/   

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/9/2023 at 4:32 PM, Pale Man said:

I could probably use some of that as poison for my ant problem 😁

+1 to that I must’ve not closed the container properly that had my flaked barley in and the b@r$tards got into it, didn’t realise and ruined a whole grain bill for my Guinness clone crying emoji 😢 None of my other grains had ants in them thank goodness! 

• Sad 1