Coopers Community

Bulk priming in fv then reusing yeast

Spursman

My current brew in the fermenter is Coopers Canadian Blonde with Morgans Premium Lager yeast at 13°.

About to do a d-rest then cold crash.

Question is - is it OK to bulk prime in fv then harvest the yeast from the slurry? I am bit concerned that the priming sugar might be somewhat retained in the slurry and kick it off again.

Wasn't planning on washing the yeast but maybe I should?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Spursman said:

Okay I agree with you both. 

If I  were to immediately refrigerate the slurry would that do the trick or do you think that washing is a safer alternative?

For an ale yeast I would say yes. 2 or 3c and its likely to stay dormant and not continue fermenting the sugar. For a lager yeast which is what you are using it's likely to keep slowly fermenting. I have seen this with lager slurries before. However it will be slow. So if you are using it in a weeks time for example a degassing every 2 days or so till you use it and you will be fine.

• Thanks 2

On 1/9/2023 at 6:00 PM, beach_life said:

I don't think so, I have had some very very tight bottles when re using - not from bulk priming though

I'm pretty sure someone on here posted to not screw the lid on too tight if you were putting yeast in a jar.

I read this AFTER  I screwed the lid on tight on one of my jars. Luckily when it was proving difficult to undo, I put it in the sink.

Erupted everywhere when I eventually got the lid off.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Tone boy said:

I just cover my yeast slurry jars with sanitized happy wrap and a rubber band. Much better than worrying about lids and explosions and works great. 👍

That's exactly what I do with my fv. It's the old school opaque Coopers one so using this method I can see what's going on (or not) inside. Works a treat although I have a love/hate relationship with Glad wrap. Frigging stuff never wants to tear off the roll and when it finally does it ends up sticking itself together!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Spursman said:

That's exactly what I do with my fv. It's the old school opaque Coopers one so using this method I can see what's going on (or not) inside. Works a treat although I have a love/hate relationship with Glad wrap. Frigging stuff never wants to tear off the roll and when it finally does it ends up sticking itself together!

Then the box starts breaking up & you can hardly keep the stuff in the box to use the cutter risking amputation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Tone boy I just use the jar lid but have found a few times even when cold in fridge the lid will bulge. Mainly with lager yeast but strange because would think its dormant with no activity.

I don't bulk prime with sugar before collect so cant see how would do this should have eaten all sugars in brew

Yeah I’ve had the same issue, which is why I moved to cling film.

I think the yeast is dormant but perhaps the yeast is still working away very slowly even when cold. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Yeah I’ve had the same issue, which is why I moved to cling film.

I think the yeast is dormant but perhaps the yeast is still working away very slowly even when cold. 

I mainly store yeast slurry in family fridge and gets knocked sometimes. So I may have trouble with cling wrap. But I do look for bulge and de gas if needed.

• Like 3

On 1/9/2023 at 7:47 AM, Spursman said:

My current brew in the fermenter is Coopers Canadian Blonde with Morgans Premium Lager yeast at 13°.

About to do a d-rest then cold crash.

Question is - is it OK to bulk prime in fv then harvest the yeast from the slurry? I am bit concerned that the priming sugar might be somewhat retained in the slurry and kick it off again.

Wasn't planning on washing the yeast but maybe I should?

Most of the sugar will end up in your stubbies.  Assuming it was disolved as it should have been very little will be in the slurry. In any case as suggeted just leave it in the fridge in a sterile jar with glad wrap. It will be fine. Not sure how long it wll keep though. Perhaps some one will chime in with that info. 

• Like 1

I didn't have time earlier in the week, but I found a pic of the yeast I screwed the lid on.🤣

Looking at that now I realise I could have marketed that as some fancy green sludge health food.

yeast.jpg

Edited by Graculus
  • Haha 7

On 1/12/2023 at 2:46 PM, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

I mainly store yeast slurry in family fridge and gets knocked sometimes. So I may have trouble with cling wrap. But I do look for bulge and de gas if needed.

I wouldn't get away with having it in the "family fridge".

I vaguely remember something being in the fridge and my daughter describing it as "Dad's homebrew sh*t stuff".

• Haha 4

Decided not to bulk prime. Rinsed the yeast cake a couple of times then pitched it into a fresh Canadian Blonde with BE2 wort at 22° immediately knocked it back to 18°. Checked after 3 hours and its going bonkers. Dropped to 15° overnight. Just checked again, krausen subsided a lot. Dropped to 12° which is recommended temp for this yeast (Morgans Premium lager yeast).

Gotta say I was a bit nervous about trying to re pitch but it seems to be going well.

Thanks to everyone who provided great advice - much appreciated. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Graculus said:

I vaguely remember something being in the fridge and my daughter describing it as "Dad's homebrew sh*t stuff".

Yeah I sometimes keep it in keggerator if have a spare spot. Then if I don't it gets moved anyway so would rather leave it if not used again fast enough.

In the drinks fridge it can only fit in the door and I don't like it moving all the time when gets opened. 

The missus used to complain with me moving stuff around to put it where it could stand. Now she probably just suffers in silence, good enough for me 🥳

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Graculus said:

Gee, I must be lucky.  I get to keep my yeast harvests in the "family Fridge" at the back of the top shelf along with half a dozen beer glasses.

A bit like @Uhtred Of Beddanburg, when I tell the family I am brewing on the weekend I just get "the look".

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2023 at 11:54 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I just get "the look".

My wife hates the smell of a brew in progress and the consequent "look" is all too familiar.  She's Chinese and occasioanly 'cooks' up the most horrendous traditional Chinese medicine concotions on the stove, the fumes of which often leave me gagging, but being the gentleman I am, there is no corresponding "look".  

Oh the irony!    

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 1/14/2023 at 6:59 AM, Spursman said:

Decided not to bulk prime. Rinsed the yeast cake a couple of times then pitched it into a fresh Canadian Blonde with BE2 wort at 22° immediately knocked it back to 18°. Checked after 3 hours and its going bonkers. Dropped to 15° overnight. Just checked again, krausen subsided a lot. Dropped to 12° which is recommended temp for this yeast (Morgans Premium lager yeast).

Gotta say I was a bit nervous about trying to re pitch but it seems to be going well.

Thanks to everyone who provided great advice - much appreciated. 

If you have a spare FV, you can syphon the beer into that one and then bulk prime. That way you can harvest the slurry without any worries. It's a little more cleaning work but at least you can enjoy the benefits of bulk priming and reuse the yeast.

• Like 3