Coopers Community

HOPTAIL BAR

iBooz2

My Hoptail Bar – thus far.

As an experiment to try and match hop flavour and aroma of a particular beer, my 150 Lashes clone comes to mind, I decided to make hop teas of various hops in a four cup coffee plunger.  These teas will make up my ‘hoptail bar’ so I can put a sample or combination of samples in a glass then pour a beer on top to try and achieve what I am after, flavour and aroma wise. 

I steeped 20 g of each hop in 500 ml of hot water for 20”.  The steep was done at the mid-range temp of between 85 – 65 C ie the hops went in at 85 C and after 20 minutes the temp had dropped to approximately 65 C.  I am trying to keep all the numbers, volumes and ratios the same so when it comes to making a bigger hop tea for a full keg hit I know what to aim for.

Say I have to put 20 ml of the chosen hop or hop tea combo into a 500 ml glass to get me where I want my beer to be.  I can then hopstrapolate (new word I just made up) that ratio to injecting the required amount of the chosen hop teas directly into a keg via the gas port or into a bottle.  Also it should help me select what hop combinations and how many grams for late / flame-out additions in a brew for next brew day.

Though it might be easier and less wasteful doing it this way rather than keep brewing batches with varying hop profiles until I hone in a recipe.

It may not work out and take several glasses over several weeks to try the idea out, that’s why I did 500 ml of each but on the other hand a hop cordial may be the answer to beers that need that little bit more of a hop hit due to hop fade etc.  I will report back after some hop cordial testing.

Hoptail Bar 1 - resized.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2023 at 4:26 PM, Spursman said:

Awesome idea.

You might need to have a word with Muzzy about getting patent protection if it works out well.

Yes from now on until eternity, the terms ‘Hoptail Bar’ and ‘Hop Cordial’ will be forever vested in the name of Alicat Brewery and iBooz2.

It’s a pity I owe so much to Muzz’s lawyer and OzDevil’s for licensing fees otherwise would fork out the cash to fend off infringements. Ha ha. 🤣

• Haha 3

On 1/4/2023 at 2:55 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

That's looks like an interesting exercise Al, I look forward to hearing the results, all nice hops too.

Oh, don't get the bottles mixed up with the ones you take to the Doctor 🤭

My Dr. has a very good looking young female Asian assistant that helps me take my samples, they are done in his rooms not at home so no mix ups possible. 

I almost get stage fright!☺️

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 2

All Hop Cordial bottles were chilled down to keg temps i.e. 2 C prior to testing how they performed.  The Hop Cordial bottles were thoroughly shaken before drawing some ml’s off (using accurate medical syringe in pic) before adding to the glass.  I think @jennyss was interested in this technique too.

Results of Hop Cordial taste test #1.

Thought I would use a beer that is fairly fresh and familiar with my smell and tastes, a recently kegged Leigh’s Lager.

First 500 ml glass was as is; it was kegged on 19/12/2022.

Second 500 ml glass had 5ml of the PoR Hop Cordial placed in the glass then the LL poured on top.  Results were a bit of a mystery as no perceived extra hop aroma was there only just a slight extra hop flavour came through whilst drinking the glass.  Therefore to my taste and smell, the Hop Cordial needs to be a tad higher percentage.

Third 500 ml glass was ‘as is’ again, just to reset my sense of smell and taste buds.

Fourth 500 ml glass had 10 ml of the PoR Hop Cordial placed in the glass then the LL poured on top.  Results were much better although still not the expected big increase in hop aroma but this time the hop flavour was up there and about right for my tastes.  Don’t know if I would want to go any higher ml/litre as I think it may spoil this beer.  Hop heads may differ on that view.

I did not go any further with this test as after 4 x 500 ml ABV 5% beers I needed a little Nanna Nap. 😴

Hop Cordial Syringe - resized.png

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

All Hop Cordial bottles were chilled down to keg temps i.e. 2 C prior to testing how they performed.  The Hop Cordial bottles were thoroughly shaken before drawing some ml’s off (using accurate medical syringe in pic) before adding to the glass.  I think @jennyss was interested in this technique too.

Results of Hop Cordial taste test #1.

Thought I would use a beer that is fairly fresh and familiar with my smell and tastes, a recently kegged Leigh’s Lager.

First 500 ml glass was as is; it was kegged on 19/12/2022.

Second 500 ml glass had 5ml of the PoR Hop Cordial placed in the glass then the LL poured on top.  Results were a bit of a mystery as no perceived extra hop aroma was there only just a slight extra hop flavour came through whilst drinking the glass.  Therefore to my taste and smell, the Hop Cordial needs to be a tad higher percentage.

Third 500 ml glass was ‘as is’ again, just to reset my sense of smell and taste buds.

Fourth 500 ml glass had 10 ml of the PoR Hop Cordial placed in the glass then the LL poured on top.  Results were much better although still not the expected big increase in hop aroma but this time the hop flavour was up there and about right for my tastes.  Don’t know if I would want to go any higher ml/litre as I think it may spoil this beer.  Hop heads may differ on that view.

I did not go any further with this test as after 4 x 500 ml ABV 5% beers I needed a little Nanna Nap. 😴

Hop Cordial Syringe - resized.png

Maybe use smaller glasses. 😁

• Haha 2

Did another little test of the Hop Cordial the other night, this time in a couple of glasses of my 150 Lashes clone.

Put 5 ml each of the Amarillo, Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy cordials in a 500 ml glass and then poured the beer in on top.  Discovered that 15 ml all up is too much and is a little bit harsh, a peppery, green hop taste so 15 ml is definitely over the top.  It made it taste sort of like what the hop tea smells like straight out of the hop cordial bottle, if you get what I mean.

Next glass I tried 5 ml of just the Galaxy cordial and that gave some fruitiness to the glass but what I call the raw hop taste still in the background somewhat.

• Like 2