Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2023?

Shamus O'Sean

12 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

OG hasn't moved a bit, but sends to be a few more bubbles, myths a bit slower than normal, could I possibly make a warm sugar syrup to kick it along? 

IMG_20230905_161034.jpg

IMG_20230905_161043.jpg

IMG_20230905_161113.jpg

It looks like you have action, I would leave it & DON'T keep taking the lid off. It could be the yeast causing the problem so I wouldn't start adding anything at this stage.

There are definite signs of fermentation so just be patient & I think you will be OK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It looks like you have action, I would leave it & DON'T keep taking the lid off. It could be the yeast causing the problem so I wouldn't start adding anything at this stage.

There are definite signs of fermentation so just be patient & I think you will be OK.

Haha, yeah I only took the lid off to get a pic for you, fingers crossed it's just a sluggish yeast

• Like 1

Yep definitely fermenting you can see the Krausen stain on the side of the fermenter give it time its only 4 days since you put it down

Test the gravity in about 4 days time and you will see a drop in the gravity reading then 2 days later if it's the same reading it's finished

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

OG hasn't moved a bit, but sends to be a few more bubbles, myths a bit slower than normal, could I possibly make a warm sugar syrup to kick it along? 

IMG_20230905_161034.jpg

IMG_20230905_161043.jpg

IMG_20230905_161113.jpg

It looks like it's fermenting to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Goldcoast Crow was it a kit beer? How old was the Tin and yeast? At those temperatures i would expect it to ferment out fully in 4 days with good yeast. 

Did you draw and tip part of the sample before filling the tube again? 

Fresh can, the brew shop is a pretty gd one, in the ball, I did forget to put the first bit out so that could have effected the OG... Tomorrow's test will be a hooter I think

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Fresh can, the brew shop is a pretty gd one, in the ball, I did forget to put the first bit out so that could have effected the OG... Tomorrow's test will be a hooter I think

Yes if you are taking about the day 4 reading and didn't pour the first bit out of tap before a sample. It would definitely be a higher reading.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

@Goldcoast Crow most of the things that have been covered here are all in the instructions that come with your Coopers DIY kit.

There is also a plethora of helpful information on Coopers website including videos that covers every aspect of how to brew.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=coopers+diy+beer+instructions&qpvt=coopers+diy+beer+instructions&FORM=VDRE

It really does pay to read & watch the information so that you understand the complete process of DIY brewing & the more times you use it you will find it becomes easier & you will develop a routine, from there it just gets easier.

Unfortunately, it is hard for a newcomer to comprehend all of the information offered by lots of different people & various information that is available on the internet & you can end up bottling your brew too soon or risk infection & also even ruining it by adding other items to speed it up.

Brewing is a natural process & it will take time to be fully fermented, so don't be in a hurry to think it is finished & bottle it.

I for one leave all of my beers to ferment for 14 days, not only does this ensure that fermentation is finished, but it also helps clear the beer up for you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

@Goldcoast Crow most of the things that have been covered here are all in the instructions that come with your Coopers DIY kit.

There is also a plethora of helpful information on Coopers website including videos that covers every aspect of how to brew.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=coopers+diy+beer+instructions&qpvt=coopers+diy+beer+instructions&FORM=VDRE

It really does pay to read & watch the information so that you understand the complete process of DIY brewing & the more times you use it you will find it becomes easier & you will develop a routine, from there it just gets easier.

Unfortunately, it is hard for a newcomer to comprehend all of the information offered by lots of different people & various information that is available on the internet & you can end up bottling your brew too soon or risk infection & also even ruining it by adding other items to speed it up.

Brewing is a natural process & it will take time to be fully fermented, so don't be in a hurry to think it is finished & bottle it.

I for one leave all of my beers to ferment for 14 days, not only does this ensure that fermentation is finished, but it also helps clear the beer up for you.

100% agree, thanks for the info, I've been doing it for a few years now and this is the first real odd brew, hence why I've thrown it open to the brains trust😂😂 fingers crossed it sorts itself out🤞🙏👍👍👍

• Like 3

For the first time I repeated a brew I've already done before, just because I was so happy with it previously: Jasmine Green Tea Lager.

First time it came in at 1044 but this time at 1042. Used the same ingredients, except this time I'm using Mangrove Jacks Bavarian lager yeast, as opposed to before where I used the standard Coopers lager yeast. Will be interesting to see if I notice any difference.

• Like 5

Steam Beer

IMG_20230908_185810889.thumb.jpg.99d78b90c01ceeffbed30759c93274b4.jpg

This one seemed to take ages. Most of the time went into the prep and once I actually got started it only took a couple of hours but there wasn't much idle time.

IMG_20230908_174645828.thumb.jpg.cc72ad249a048d04e74b1aa92970547f.jpg

I used a hop sock in the boil hoping to reduce the clogging when I strained it into the fermenter. I'm not sure how successful that was.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Steam Beer

This one seemed to take ages. Most of the time went into the prep and once I actually got started it only took a couple of hours but there wasn't much idle time.

I used a hop sock in the boil hoping to reduce the clogging when I strained it into the fermenter. I'm not sure how successful that was.

Hop sock is the way to go 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kegory said:

Steam Beer

Gotta get me one of the induction plates 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DavidM said:

They are good but you also have to have the right type of Pot to work on them.

Love mine! Makes for a simple brew day.

Most stainless steel pots work. We have some induction plates at work and of our approximately 15 pots only one does not work. We have the cheap Ikea inductions and use them 2-3 times a week and they last for years 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kegory said:

Steam Beer

What yeast?