Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2023?

Aussiekraut

7 minutes ago, Kegory said:

I have a 3 way scoop designed for 330ml, 500ml, and 750ml bottles. I use 450ml, 500ml, 550ml, 568ml, 630ml, 650ml, and 750ml bottles. I agree 375ml bottles are too small to be bothered mucking around with.

Because I keg all I ever bottle these days is the reside from a brew as the keg only holds 19l.

I have a 2l Growler which takes care of that & if there is any need to bottle, I prefer the 500ml Hefe' style or glass longnecks.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Table sugar and dextrose are pretty much interchangeable in regards to priming. The only difference i have found is in the head tends to be more tightly compacted with smaller bubbles when using dextrose for some reason. In theory it shouldnt make a difference to carbonation as CO2 is CO2 so no idea of the science behind it but its noticeable particulary on the highly carbonated belgian brews i do. 

Anyway thats my 2 cents.

That's interesting. All the more reason to conduct an exbeeriment, I reckon.

According to Palmer in How to Brew table sugar is a disaccharide with no moisture content whereas dextrose is a mono saccharide with 9% water content. There are formulas to calculate how much CO2 each will generate per gram but I'd rather just do an exbeeriment.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Kegory said:

Why do you recommend table sugar over dextrose @Oldbloke?

Table sugar is cheaper and almost every house has some in the cupboard.  I use it almost exclusively for priming bottles. 

Occasionally I will use carbonation drops.  However, I find they are just a little light on for carbonation.  As an exbeeriment, for the Coopers Genuine Draught, I used 2 x carb drops plus 1/4 teaspoon of sugar per 740ml PET bottle.  So probably around 7g per 740ml or 9.3g per litre.  The bottles are still a couple of week off being ready.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Table sugar is cheaper and almost every house has some in the cupboard.  I use it almost exclusively for priming bottles. 

Occasionally I will use carbonation drops.  However, I find they are just a little light on for carbonation.  As an exbeeriment, for the Coopers Genuine Draught, I used 2 x carb drops plus 1/4 teaspoon of sugar per 740ml PET bottle.  So probably around 7g per 740ml or 9.3g per litre.  The bottles are still a couple of week off being ready.

My house is the exception, I had to go out and buy some white sugar for the Sparkling Ale recipe.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As some of you might remember on my last day of my Brazil trip un January I participated in the brewing of some AG English Bitter on the farm of my wife’s relative. For family reasons she went back in April and Icky insisted that she brings me a bottle of it. Today was The Day, and he’ll yeah it didn’t disappoint. Great mouthfeel and thick creaminess and flavour. No idea how an English Bitter is supposed to taste, but if I had one of those I would have ordered another pint (or two)

IMG_7149.jpeg

f27c9199-43fa-42f8-a826-41a4d78f9c20.jpeg

• Like 7

Having put a bottle of Märzen ( my second AG brew and first one in the bottle as the first brew got tipped out) into the fridge for a sneaky preview tasting ahead of October ( three weeks in the bottle) later in the week I just had to try it to see how it holds up to my relos Bitter. Oh my, I really can see now what all the fuss is about AG brewing. It was like a party in my mouth, flavour, sweetness and bitterness, the creamy and smooth mouthfeel, it was like liquid porridge, yum. I am really happy and the carbonation is perfect already. Tomorrow I will hide it in the Dungeon for lagering until October Fest, otherwise I’ll finish it by the end of the week 

2abf8a8b-9319-4136-9d3c-28ad2f9bd544.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Kegory said:

I have a 3 way scoop designed for 330ml, 500ml, and 750ml bottles. I use 450ml, 500ml, 550ml, 568ml, 630ml, 650ml, and 750ml bottles. I agree 375ml bottles are too small to be bothered mucking around with.

I must drink too little. 🤔

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

I've been doing a level half teaspoon of sugar for 450ml bottles. Seems about right carbonation wise.

I always use caster sugar under the thinking that it will dissolve easier, but it probably doesn't matter.

Mate I have so many different sized teaspoons I'd have to do another exbeeriment just to figure out which teaspoon to level half of.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Kegory said:

Mate I have so many different sized teaspoons I'd have to do another exbeeriment just to figure out which teaspoon to level half of.

Forget teaspoons, very inconsistent. 

Buy or make "scoops". A lot less variation.

• Like 2

Well, apparently it's Coopers Dark Ale day.

This one's a Taste Test Challenge: 004, Coopers Dark Ale k&k bottled 12/6/23, conditioned 20 days vs Coopers Brewery Dark Ale, a.k.a. Coppers Brown, Best After 24/4/22.

IMG_20230710_201013426.thumb.jpg.0c9e6145f0ac0558f26886759d1b3683.jpg

The head and head retention are close but Brown gets the win. The colour and clarity are almost identical.

Brown has a stronger and more distinct aroma. 004 has that twang which obscures the roasty flavour: Brown wins again. There's not much lacing in either but, again, Brown has the edge over it's younger rival.

I can't see much carbonation in either but Brown has a better mouthfeel due to a little more carbonation.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Kegory said:

Well, apparently it's Coopers Dark Ale day.

This one's a Taste Test Challenge: 004, Coopers Dark Ale k&k bottled 12/6/23, conditioned 20 days vs Coopers Brewery Dark Ale, a.k.a. Coppers Brown, Best After 24/4/22.

IMG_20230710_201013426.thumb.jpg.0c9e6145f0ac0558f26886759d1b3683.jpg

The head and head retention are close but Brown gets the win. The colour and clarity are almost identical.

Brown has a stronger and more distinct aroma. 004 has that twang which obscures the roasty flavour: Brown wins again. There's not much lacing in either but, again, Brown has the edge over it's younger rival.

I can't see much carbonation in either but Brown has a better mouthfeel due to a little more carbonation.

Nice beer &  nice label. 

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

002, Coopers Sparkling Ale, a carbonation exbeeriment I wasn't looking forward to assessing: 1 Coopers carb drop in a 650ml bottle.

IMG_20230711_202700525.thumb.jpg.40f6b8ba8f81af0211cb026ee43fcc49.jpg

It wasn't as disappointing as I'd expected following last week's tasting of the same beer with 1.5 carb drops in the same volume. It wasn't very sparkling but it was ok. The good news is that the other five similarly carved bottles won't have to be poured down the sink.

The next one was an unplanned carbonation exbeeriment: 004, Coopers Dark Ale, a 630ml bottled primed as a 750ml bottle (a couple of bottles found their way into the wrong box without me noticing until after conditioning).

IMG_20230711_213919552.thumb.jpg.971219d9845f3dee71316bb375bf92e8.jpg

This one actually turned out pretty well. I'm quite happy with that, I wish more 630ml bottles had slipped through. I'll let the other one sit for a while before I check it out.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, toolman01 said:

Where did you get the 630ml bottles from? they look to be a handy size

I got them from a local licensed Foodworks. They are Singha bottles. I agree they are a handy size. They also weigh in at 0.663 grams per milliliter of contained volume, which is on a par with the old Coopers longnecks which are 0.664g/ml, so they are pretty solid, too.

The 650ml bottles are Phoenix, which are 661g/ml, so around the same mark. Sometimes I can get them from the same Foodworks and I also get them from a local Thirsty Camel.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Kegory said:

002, Coopers Sparkling Ale, a carbonation exbeeriment I wasn't looking forward to assessing: 1 Coopers carb drop in a 650ml bottle.

IMG_20230711_202700525.thumb.jpg.40f6b8ba8f81af0211cb026ee43fcc49.jpg

It wasn't as disappointing as I'd expected following last week's tasting of the same beer with 1.5 carb drops in the same volume. It wasn't very sparkling but it was ok. The good news is that the other five similarly carved bottles won't have to be poured down the sink.

The next one was an unplanned carbonation exbeeriment: 004, Coopers Dark Ale, a 630ml bottled primed as a 750ml bottle (a couple of bottles found their way into the wrong box without me noticing until after conditioning).

IMG_20230711_213919552.thumb.jpg.971219d9845f3dee71316bb375bf92e8.jpg

This one actually turned out pretty well. I'm quite happy with that, I wish more 630ml bottles had slipped through. I'll let the other one sit for a while before I check it out.

Maaaaaate I love that handle glassware 

I reckon we will enjoy a few sessions watching the finals 👌

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Maaaaaate I love that handle glassware 

I reckon we will enjoy a few sessions watching the finals 👌

It's been a long time since I've enjoyed watching a final. I hope to enjoy one this year.

• Like 1

I am going to have a look around here to see what i can find in the way of interesting bottles. Wife has a few champagne bottles that would be good but they take a 29mm cap which seem hard to find, especially the capper

• Like 1