Coopers Community

Australia's Top 10 Selling Beers

Malter White

2 hours ago, Malter White said:

The times they are a-changing. This list might surprise some of you.

news.com.au: Aussie best beer list infuriates punters.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/drink/australias-top-selling-beers-for-2022-revealed/news-story/96e0a16f27a39c0d821cb1a62f419590

We were talking about that at the Pub the other day, IMO all of the others apart from Coopers NO: 4 are crap.

I think it should be judged in categories rather than by label, for example how can you possibly compare a Coopers Pale Ale against a Mid Strength Great Northern Lager? 😬

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

We were talking about that at the Pub the other day, IMO all of the others apart from Coopers NO: 4 are crap.

I think it should be judged in categories rather than by label, for example how can you possibly compare a Coopers Pale Ale against a Mid Strength Great Northern Lager? 😬

It was judged via sales not quality. The people have spoken.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Malter White said:

It was judged via sales not quality. The people have spoken.

Yes, I understand that, but I guess there are many reasons for its popularity, price, availability, more people drinking from home, constant adverts & lectures about drinking habits etc.

At the end of the day, it doesn't bother me as we can all choose what we want to drink.

Cheers

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Malter White said:

The times they are a-changing. This list might surprise some of you.

news.com.au: Aussie best beer list infuriates punters.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/drink/australias-top-selling-beers-for-2022-revealed/news-story/96e0a16f27a39c0d821cb1a62f419590

Great Northern has been revealed as Australia’s highest-selling beer for 2022, the second year in a row it’s claimed the top spot.

Well you could've knocked me down with a feather. 🪶

And this:

Victorian lager Victoria Bitter (VB) which once dominated sales for decades, slipped to fifth place.

The sky is falling. 🌏

@Classic Brewing Co, Phil, you must be onto something, the people have spoken!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Victorian lager Victoria Bitter (VB) which once dominated sales for decades, slipped to fifth place.

I don't know if VB would have retained no.1 up to this day but one thing for sure is the genius at CUB (or whoever they are these days) that decided to drop the ABV from 4.9% to 4.6% cost them a lot of sales and hurt their brand big time. They changed back to 4.9 eventually but not all their previous drinkers came back.
As booze is taxed on ABV in Australia "the genius" worked out they could save $20 million a year in tax if they reduced it to 4.6% Whoops!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Great Northern has been revealed as Australia’s highest-selling beer for 2022, the second year in a row it’s claimed the top spot.

Well you could've knocked me down with a feather. 🪶

And this:

The sky is falling. 🌏

@Classic Brewing Co, Phil, you must be onto something, the people have spoken!

Like I said earlier, all of the beers listed are 💩 apart from Coopers.

• Like 1

What stands out to me from the list of the top 10 is that 9/10 are produced by Japanese companies. In other words all the great Australian breweries of the past have been swallowed by Japanese companies.

That is of course with the exception of Coopers, and they have instituted policies that stop the company being taken over by others and keep it in family hands. Well done Coopers.

• Like 2

Interesting Coopers is #4, been drinking it for years while my mates drink great northern, corona or tooheys new up here, and also xxxx gold. Some places in town have coopers on tap, but obviously not a common beer. However, a lot of cartons at the bottle shop so it is more popular than what you would think. I like the fact it is family owned, but the main reason I drink it is because of the flavour and that it is bottle conditioned. Yes, the 2 Japanese giants have a stranglehold on the market here, and also around the world apparently. All successful craft breweries get approached sooner or later with an offer they can't refuse.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Malter White said:

I don't know if VB would have retained no.1 up to this day but one thing for sure is the genius at CUB (or whoever they are these days) that decided to drop the ABV from 4.9% to 4.6% cost them a lot of sales and hurt their brand big time. They changed back to 4.9 eventually but not all their previous drinkers came back.
As booze is taxed on ABV in Australia "the genius" worked out they could save $20 million a year in tax if they reduced it to 4.6% Whoops!

He probably got promoted and a hefty pay increase, once things went south bail out and leave a sinking ship, perfect Management material 😂😂

• Haha 4

I was surprised at Great Northern leading the charge, but then I see plenty of cartons going into cars where I live.
Pricing rules popularity, also supply, marketing and then there’s the element of people doing what everyone else does.

Personally, I wouldn’t drink it or try and brew it. Just not for me.

• Like 1

@Shamus O'Sean noticed confused emoji, I mean great northern, Carlton dry, vb etc all different beers owned by same company.  They have different rankings in the list but all treated seperate. Then just coopers as a whole brand? not individual beers.

The list was titled best selling beers not companies. Also looks like done it with tooheys and haun etc but listed others individually as a product of a company.

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

The strange part of the list is coopers number 4. Coopers what? pale ale or sparkling? everything all together?

Why are other beers listed individually even if owned by same mob but coopers seems to be bundled in the list as a whole company?

Yes, good point. 
At least it mention’s Coopers as the only Australian owned company. 
That was surprising to learn. All that marketing about Aussie beers and they’re all foreign owned companies.

9 minutes ago, Mackbrew said:

Yes, good point. 
At least it mention’s Coopers as the only Australian owned company. 
That was surprising to learn. All that marketing about Aussie beers and they’re all foreign owned companies.

Almost everything is owned from overseas now and is good to see coopers on the list. But not a propper list if contains some as beers and others as companies with multiple beers under it.

• Like 1

Yes, agreed. But like most ‘news’ stories these days they’re hard to take seriously and usually designed as click bait headlines.

Half the time I’m never sure if it’s a clever paid marketing ploy or proper research.

Still, there was enough interest in it for me, because it’s about beer. I can forgive the lack of finer details.

• Like 2

If I buy a beer to take home (or have the choice of them at no charge in the frequent flyers lounge) I have defaulted to Pacific ale from Fat Yakk for the last few years. 

My choice on tap is always something craft or something dark like a stout or porter. 

Honestly never had one single Great Northern in my life. #iamnotfashionable 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Cult Of One said:

If I buy a beer to take home (or have the choice of them at no charge in the frequent flyers lounge) I have defaulted to Pacific ale from Fat Yakk for the last few years. 

My choice on tap is always something craft or something dark like a stout or porter. 

Honestly never had one single Great Northern in my life. #iamnotfashionable 

The only time I have a Great Northern is because of my locals 'Beer of the Month' it is a SA Imperial Pint -570ml & they are $6.00. It's not so bad as it is Mid-Strength so I can have a few & drive home - 900m 🤭

They sometimes have Carlton Draught or Toohey's Dry or one of them, thankfully they don't have VB 😬

Everything else is $9.00 - $11.00 so I would rather put up with GN, then go home & have one out of the tap to get the taste out of my mouth.

They used to have Coopers Pale Ale but for some reason that has been removed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Shamus O'Sean noticed confused emoji, I mean great northern, Carlton dry, vb etc all different beers owned by same company.  They have different rankings in the list but all treated seperate. Then just coopers as a whole brand? not individual beers.

The list was titled best selling beers not companies. Also looks like done it with tooheys and haun etc but listed others individually as a product of a company.

All good UoB, I just meant I was as confused as you. Or maybe as confused as the person who made the list. 😁

• Haha 2