Coopers Community

Dry Hopping Question

aussiewasp

I am looking at making a NEIPA Hazy IPA from Kegland.

RECIPE: https://www.kegland.com.au/media/pdf/extract recipes/Extract - Jungle Juice NEIPA Instructions.pdf

It involves dry hopping, something I am not familiar with.

Below is the relevant step. It says to sprinkle the hops into the fermentor. So what happens when you come to bottle? I have dropped a teabag of dry hops in before, but the sprinkling?

When the bubbling of the airlock stops (usually about a week after adding yeast), it’s time to dry hop your beer for maximum hop flavor and aroma. Take your 150g total of leftover hop pellets out of the freezer and sprinkle them evenly and gently into your fermenting beer. Make sure you only open the fermenter wide enough and long enough to do this quickly – bacteria are the enemy here and you don’t want the outside air and all its bacteria-filled dust getting into your batch of beer. After letting the dry hop pellets soak in your beer for 4-5 days, it’s time to bottle/keg. Leave them too

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jpd1009 said:

RECIPE: https://www.kegland.com.au/media/pdf/extract recipes/Extract - Jungle Juice NEIPA Instructions.pdf

Below is the relevant step. It says to sprinkle the hops into the fermentor. So what happens when you come to bottle? I have dropped a teabag of dry hops in before, but the sprinkling?

When the bubbling of the airlock stops (usually about a week after adding yeast), it’s time to dry hop your beer for maximum hop flavobr and aroma. Take your 150g total of leftover hop pellets out of the freezer and sprinkle them evenly and gently into your fermenting beer. Make sure you only open the fermenter wide enough and long enough to do this quickly – bacteria are the enemy here and you don’t want the outside air and all its bacteria-filled dust getting into your batch of beer. After letting the dry hop pellets soak in your beer for 4-5 days, it’s time to bottle/keg. Leave them too

I use a Hop Bomb 

Tried the sprinkle method once, never again, kept blocking the filling wand.

Stainless Hop Bomb 1

Edited by Pickles Jones
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

I use a Hop Bomb 

Tried the sprinkle method once, never again, kept blocking the filling wand.

Stainless Hop Bomb 1

I agree about the blocking, but I have a few of those & they all stuffed up & what I do now is sanitise a needle & cotton to close the gate as they are cheaply made & don't last that long.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jpd1009 said:

When the bubbling of the airlock stops (usually about a week after adding yeast), it’s time to dry hop your beer for maximum hop flavor and aroma. Take your 150g total of leftover hop pellets out of the freezer and sprinkle them evenly and gently into your fermenting beer. Make sure you only open the fermenter wide enough and long enough to do this quickly – bacteria are the enemy here and you don’t want the outside air and all its bacteria-filled dust getting into your batch of beer. After letting the dry hop pellets soak in your beer for 4-5 days, it’s time to bottle/keg. Leave them too

Have a quick read of the post here for how I dry hop.  Plenty of other options too.  For 150g of hops I would use one of the giant 60cm x 60cm Chux cloths.  It is good to have enough room for the hops to expand and float around inside.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, jpd1009 said:

This something i would be very wary of being a Neipa that you are going to be fermenting.     The warning they are telling you when they mention bacteria filled  is oxygen. Neipas are one of the hardest of beers to make due to oxygenation and someways you cant avoid it, and many people dont bottle Neipa's  due to oxygenation  and mainly keg them.  i am not saying dont bottle them.

in my opinion the best way to dry hop a neipa with out trying to introduce oxygen into the fermenter is to use magnets and a hopsock

the hops will go into hops ock with a magnet  at the start of ferment and another magnet that you sit on the outside of fermenter and align the 2 magnets so they hold the hopsock above the wort

when dry hopping day comes along  detach the outside magnet and allow the hopsock  drop in the wort

Just make sure the magnet thats in the hopsock has been sanitized  when you start fermentation

by using this method you will avoid any oxygen entering the fermenter

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

This something i would be very wary of being a Neipa that you are going to be fermenting.     The warning they are telling you when they mention bacteria filled  is oxygen. Neipas are one of the hardest of beers to make due to oxygenation and someways you cant avoid it, and many people dont bottle Neipa's  due to oxygenation  and mainly keg them.  i am not saying dont bottle them.

in my opinion the best way to dry hop a neipa with out trying to introduce oxygen into the fermenter is to use magnets and a hopsock

the hops will go into hops ock with a magnet  at the start of ferment and another magnet that you sit on the outside of fermenter and align the 2 magnets so they hold the hopsock above the wort

when dry hopping day comes along  detach the outside magnet and allow the hopsock  drop in the wort

Just make sure the magnet thats in the hopsock has been sanitized  when you start fermentation

by using this method you will avoid any oxygen entering the fermenter

That's a good method for a dry hop with out lifting the lid.

150g Dry hop is going to need a strong magnet!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpd1009 said:

Thanks for all the comments, I have used all the methods you have mentioned, except for the magnet. Great idea!

Mate

Neipas are tempremental beer as they are very prone to oxidation.  

I usually  pressure ferment and closed transfer and closed dry hop when making a neipa  due to oxygen.

You can't pressure ferment in a coopers fermenter.

I also urge on drinking them quicker if they show signs of oxidation   as your not going to be able to avoid  it if bottling..

Anyway good luck with it

• Like 3