Coopers Community

Fresh wort kits

jennyss

@jennyss FWK's are a great way to sample what an all grain batch of beer is like. They are super convenient to brew as someone else does all the time consuming work and all you have to do is put them in a fermenter and add yeast and then dry hop etc. Very convenient and they can produce great beers.

• Like 3

Just now, jennyss said:

I'm wondering what is the advantage of these fresh wort kits over tins of extract?

You will need to buy yeast to suit the beer but all I can say is brew one and find out. It's an all grain fresh beer ready to add water and yeast. 

Coopers kits are great and compact but you can't put that freshness into a small tin. If you have access to one brew it and find out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

I'm wondering what is the advantage of these fresh wort kits over tins of extract?

@jennyss I have never actually made one but tasted a few, as the guys have said, it will take you beer to the next level & then there will be no turning back,

The Rabbit Hole beckons. Go for it Girl.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@jennyss

Just my thoughts only .   this will not teach you how to make A.G  beer as the main process has been done  for you  and all you do is add a bit of water and add the wort to fermenter  and pitch your  yeast of choice and add dry hops if required.

what you will find  is  a difference between extract  and A.G  tastes    

the good thing  with FWK'S  is you still can make it your own  and you can use whatever yeast you want , not just the recommended yeast  and the same with your dry hops to make it your own  instead of the manufacturers 

i currently have 2 fwks  in the keg   at the moment   1 being a black ipa   and the other a  Neipa   which have been carbing up  for the past week.

now  also  these fwks there is a few ways to  ferment these  and they  will have different abv and O.G  depending on what you did

buy one and ferment one   and see how you go  ,  might be a good time  to brew one that both you and hubby  can enjoy

you wont be sorry     grain and grape   make good fwks as so do  all-inn brewing    

• Like 3

I see the advantage in not having to do much work and the chance to try an all grain brew, great idea.

But the Cost.

For me that is a deal breaker, over double what My brews cost to make, even thou not as good.

I'll stick to Kit and Kilo

If I need to try All Grain brews... I'll drop in on @Classic Brewing Co next time he has a new batch! 😉🍻

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

I see the advantage in not having to do much work and the chance to try an all grain brew, great idea.

But the Cost.

For me that is a deal breaker, over double what My brews cost to make, even thou not as good.

I'll stick to Kit and Kilo

If I need to try All Grain brews... I'll drop in on @Classic Brewing Co next time he has a new batch! 😉🍻

Drop in anytime mate, there will always be something to drink 🍺

• Like 3

14 hours ago, jennyss said:

@jennyss, I do K&K, partial's and FWK's now. I have to say the FWK's are outstanding in the main. And you get to taste the difference between K&K and AG. I love my K&K's but these FWK's are on another level.  A really nice beer to have a crack at is the Kegland Fresh3 cubed lager. $31.00 Outstanding value IMO.

I've been using the LalBrew Premium Series - BRY-97 - American West Coast Style Ale Yeast x 11g - About $5.70.

I've been adding a dry hop at FG of POR - not much just enough to pimp it up a touch.....it is a very very decent beer IMO. So for about $37.00 you get to sample a really decent AG beer - It's actually not much dearer than a goof K&K TBH. Of course the kicker is your location - If ya can't get to Kegland I think the delivery cost may be a show stopper - $25.00???

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Mickep said:

@jennyss, I do K&K, partial's and FWK's now. I have to say the FWK's are outstanding in the main. And you get to taste the difference between K&K and AG. I love my K&K's but these FWK's are on another level.  A really nice beer to have a crack at is the Kegland Fresh3 cubed lager. $31.00 Outstanding value IMO.

I've been using the LalBrew Premium Series - BRY-97 - American West Coast Style Ale Yeast x 11g - About $5.70.

I've been adding a dry hop at FG of POR - not much just enough to pimp it up a touch.....it is a very very decent beer IMO. So for about $37.00 you get to sample a really decent AG beer - It's actually not much dearer than a goof K&K TBH. Of course the kicker is your location - If ya can't get to Kegland I think the delivery cost may be a show stopper - $25.00???

I agree with Mick, the beer is heaps better than most K & K's, the ones I have tasted anyway, unfortunately the only FWK available in Adelaide are limited to 3-4 locations & as far as I know they all come in those dreaded satchels & they are twice the price of the others.There are a couple of places in Victoria that still supply them in the plastic cubes that I found online but as you say the freight is the killer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Mickep said:

I tried that Lager Plain with just Diamond Lager yeast and 5 or 6 liters of water added. Still came out at 5.7% in the keg, still have half left ATM. It was a bit bland tasting for me but no different than a Carlton Draught or something. Like you say value for money, next time I may add a small hop steep myself.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2022 at 7:36 PM, jennyss said:

FWKs are the simplest way to brew beer. The result is normally better than a K&K. I guess the biggest difference is that the FWK is not boiled down into goo but simply brewed "stronger", with the added 5l of water in mind. I've done a few myself and usually get good results. However, you are still brewing somebody else's beer. 

• Like 2

On 12/4/2022 at 10:39 AM, Aussiekraut said:

However, you are still brewing somebody else's beer. 

Too true that AK, there's a lot to be said for brewing AG at home. When I tasted Al's ( @iBooz2) Leigh's lager which he generously gave me 25 liters in a cube to brew at home it made me realise just what you can expect from brewing a beer you've made at home. At least what to aspire to anyway.  To my taste buds the LL was insanely good.

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 2

I just had a look at what's involved with "all grain" brewing. You blokes can have that on your own. I have better things to do with my time. Must be bloody fussy if you can't find a kit you like these days. 

Your prefered coopers kit.

Add malt extract.

Add buggerall time and effort.

Yum. Great beer.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

I just had a look at what's involved with "all grain" brewing. You blokes can have that on your own. I have better things to do with my time. Must be bloody fussy if you can't find a kit you like these days. 

Your prefered coopers kit.

Add malt extract.

Add buggerall time and effort.

Yum. Great beer.

I can assure you it is well worth doing & if you are organised, plan ahead & just get on with it, the rewards are far greater than any 'kit' beer will give you.

I have only been involved with AG for most of this year, but I am well over k & k apart from a quick fridge filler now & again.

The same with bottling, after kegging, it sucks.

• Like 1

Soo, no way i would keg or full grain mash. 

While your boiling grain I will be out fishing.

Bugger carting a keg to a mates place or a few days camping.

Everyone, I repeat,  everyone who tries my HB says it GREAT.

Pro's & con's in everything I guess. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

Try telling that to the successful AG brewers on the forum.

12 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

I guess that it is horses for courses @Oldbloke. I wouldn't criticise anyone for doing KnK's as you can make some pretty good brews and I speak from experience, I even did a couple last week, well partials to be precise and I am sure that they will turn out just fine. So best of luck with your KnK's and the main thing is that you like the beer that you produce.

Yes AG brewing does involve time but I like the process and I love the flexibility it gives me to try different things and produce different beers. It does add a whole new dimension to brewing for me. BTW I never boil grains, it would not be a good idea at all. And while you are cleaning and sanitising bottles, then doing a bottling run and then allowing the bottles a few weeks for secondary I have time to do an AG brew, ferment it and keg it - but as I say horses for courses and you are producing nice beers.

• Like 4

Agreed @kmar92 it goes without question that AG brews are at the top of the heap, sure there are fine k & k's, I & like many others I brewed them for years but trying to compare the two is really a waste of time. 

You are right about the prep for k & k/bottling, by the time you finished that you would have mashed in, either in the sparge or on with the boil, everything takes time but I sure as hell know what I would rather be doing & it ain't washing bottles or warming up cans.

It & always will be each to their own.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Agreed @kmar92 it goes without question that AG brews are at the top of the heap, sure there are fine k & k's, I & like many others I brewed them for years but trying to compare the two is really a waste of time. 

You are right about the prep for k & k/bottling, by the time you finished that you would have mashed in, either in the sparge or on with the boil, everything takes time but I sure as hell know what I would rather be doing & it ain't washing bottles or warming up cans.

It & always will be each to their own.

What prep. I just run them through the dish washer.

Firstly, I'd like to say "We are All Different"

I'm only just over a Year into Kit's and Bit's and I'm loving it.

I have tasted All Grain and can see it's better, I also can see that Keg's would be easier (up to a point).

But I'm happy with what I do and the way I serve a beer, out of the bottle.

It takes me about an Hour and a Half to..

Steep some grains, Bottle a brew and Put a new Brew in.

Some days are longer when I'm not organised but Hell.. I'm retired and have time!

Yes, I then have to store that brew for at Least a Month to get the best out of it but that is just being organised.

I view this as a Hobby that I do to get Great tasting Beers in between Life and Golf.

And thanks for all the Help, by the way.

To each their Own..

• Like 6