Coopers Community

How many times can I re-use PET bottles?

jennyss

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

How many times can I safely re-use PET bottles?

@jennyss They actually have a long shelf life if they are looked after properly, the key points are proper cleaning/sanitising, storage - keep the out of sunlight, do not use hot water for cleaning, warm is OK. A smart move is to keep the box they came in as you can store them while not in use.

I don't use them anymore but some of mine are years old & still OK, but others say they only last a few brews.

As soon as you finish emptying them a good practice is to rinse them 3-4 times & store upright & then clean & sanitise ASAP. Thats where the boxes come in handy.

The same treatment for caps, they should also be washed & sanitised.

When I was using them, I added a fresh box now & again & over the years I only ever chucked a few of them.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, jennyss said:

Hi Jenny, No idea of an actual number.  But I would say dozens.  The lids too.  Like @Classic Brewing Co, I have thrown away a few due to no carbonation.

Keep them clean and they will serve you well.  Sanitise before use and off you go again.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, jennyss said:

As the boys above said, dozens. I've been using some of my PETs for 5 years. I have about 300 and have probably made over 100 brews so some of them would have been used at least 10-15 times by now. I don't recall throwing any away yet. When I encountered a flat bottle I just discarded the cap but have kept the bottles. I'm not sure this has rectified getting flatties but anecdotally I don't seem to get as many now.
You can wash them in hot water but not too hot that it might compromise the plastic. Just a bit hotter than your hand can take is hot enough.

Edited by Malter White
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I notice that after time some of them don't stand up properly. They kinda wobble like a top. When I lookee underneath, in the centre of those sediment-catchers there is a circle - this sometimes "bubbles" which offsets the balance. I take that as a sign that the plastic is getting close to wanting to resign so I just chuck them as it happens.

It's rare though. Anyone else get this?

If they are not damaged, and hold their shape under pressure, as long as you treat them right they'll last years.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2022 at 5:58 AM, jennyss said:

Thanks @Classic Brewing Co, @Shamus O'Seanand @Malter White, So my PET bottles will last for a while yet! I sanitise and store them OK.

They will last a while if looked after but I stopped using them a few years ago, only glass now. I keg most beers now so all they are doing is taking up room in the shed in boxes.

The taste of beer is always much better from glass, like comparing a can with a stubby.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cee said:

I notice that after time some of them don't stand up properly. They kinda wobble like a top. When I lookee underneath, in the centre of those sediment-catchers there is a circle - this sometimes "bubbles" which offsets the balance. I take that as a sign that the plastic is getting close to wanting to resign so I just chuck them as it happens.

It's rare though. Anyone else get this?

If they are not damaged, and hold their shape under pressure, as long as you treat them right they'll last years.

They are massed produced so it's only normal to experience a few dodgy ones now & again. I discovered the odd one as you describe years ago, a good practice is before bottling while you are cleaning/sanitising them is to select the quantity you think you will use & inspect them individually. Stand them up at least 1/2 full of water on a flat surface - it should be easier to spot the dodgy ones, don't forget to check the caps too.

• Like 3

On 12/12/2022 at 6:27 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

They will last a while if looked after but I stopped using them a few years ago, only glass now. I keg most beers now so all they are doing is taking up room in the shed in boxes.

The taste of beer is always much better from glass, like comparing a can with a stubby.

Better yet from A glass. Doesn't matter what it's stored in if it's poured into a glass. Kegs tend to improve quicker than smaller containers but that's a different matter. 

• Like 3

On 12/12/2022 at 7:35 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

They are massed produced so it's only normal to experience a few dodgy ones now & again. I discovered the odd one as you describe years ago, a good practice is before bottling while you are cleaning/sanitising them is to select the quantity you think you will use & inspect them individually. Stand them up at least 1/2 full of water on a flat surface - it should be easier to spot the dodgy ones, don't forget to check the caps too.

My exact thoughts, mate

• Like 2

On 12/1/2022 at 9:12 PM, Malter White said:

As the boys above said, dozens. I've been using some of my PETs for 5 years. I have about 300 and have probably made over 100 brews so some of them would have been used at least 10-15 times by now. I don't recall throwing any away yet. When I encountered a flat bottle I just discarded the cap but have kept the bottles. I'm not sure this has rectified getting flatties but anecdotally I don't seem to get as many now.
You can wash them in hot water but not too hot that it might compromise the plastic. Just a bit hotter than your hand can take is hot enough.

I concur with all the above and also like the safety of no glass exploding. Been using mine for years. I've found a thorough rinse out 2 times with warm water as soon as you've poured the beer then 1/4 teaspoon of Coles laundry soaker, fill to the top, cap and leave for 12 hours or so does a great job. Rinse out thoroughly twice before capping and storing.

• Like 3

On 12/19/2022 at 1:48 PM, Spursman said:

I concur with all the above and also like the safety of no glass exploding. Been using mine for years. I've found a thorough rinse out 2 times with warm water as soon as you've poured the beer then 1/4 teaspoon of Coles laundry soaker, fill to the top, cap and leave for 12 hours or so does a great job. Rinse out thoroughly twice before capping and storing.

Oh my God. Laundry soaker. The sky is falling. 🤥  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Spursman said:

It's just sodium percarbonate - no big deal.

Nope, not quite right. Has very, very nasty chemicals, for example detergent. Lol

It's usually about 30% sodium percarbonate.

Edited by Oldbloke