Coopers Community

First brew - flat as a tack

stevo1957

Opened a bottle from my first brew - bewitched ale from the craft beer kit.

Tasted alright, but flat as. The tiniest bit of gas could be heard when I opened the bottle and that was it.

No head whatsoever.

I have had it in a dark room for fermentation and it hasn't been overly cold here in Sydney.

There is some sediment at the bottom of the bottles.

It was put in the fridge yesterday but I'm reading I should now relocate it somewhere warmer and leave it again for a while?

If this is the recommended course,  for how long?

I thought this would be a great day,  but I'm now feeling flat,  like my brew. 🙂

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Stickers said:

could just be a bad bottle, you'll need to try a few more to work out if the whole batch is under carbed.

Thanks. I made sure caps were tight when I bottled them, but maybe as you say,  something has gone wrong with some bottles. I'll open another and see how it is.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stevo1957 said:

No head whatsoever.

this could be a number of factors in this  and is not uncommon in extract beer not to find head .  that doesn't mean its not carbed up

the state of your glass  it needs to be beer clean
style of glass you use  

what ingredients you used   

2 hours ago, stevo1957 said:

It was put in the fridge yesterday but I'm reading I should now relocate it somewhere warmer and leave it again for a while?

it may well be where you stored them was still to cold for the bottles and wort to carb up  , so yes  move to warmer environment say 20°c  for aweek

try a bottle in a few days then 1 in 5    if u feel  they are improving    happy days

57 minutes ago, JoeB7 said:

Does it taste sweet? That could indicate no 2nd ferment & the yeast has exhausted itself.?

like joeb7  said if the wort still is sweet ,  then ya still can kick a goal with the batch as   nothing has been absorbs like co2 in the bottle

give a gentle shake just enough to get the sediment moving  and place in a warmer  environment that you can

we all make mistakes along the way   and we all still make mistakes .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stevo1957 said:

20221019_192408.thumb.jpg.91d13cfbe61c6a18c37a257876f0cd79.jpg

I would suggest leave it for a bit longer, next time forget the carb drops & carbonate with plain white sugar, 1 tsp = 4.1gms.

Without knowing your recipe, I would also suggest adding at least 250-300gm of Light Dried Malt, it will definitely boost the brew.

There are so many other factors but in short if you are using laundry products to clean your equipment & not rinsing thoroughly & of course your beer glasses have to be beer clean.

These topics have been mentioned many times on this forum.

If you want some more information, reply & I will post it.

Cheers

Phil.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stickers said:

could just be a bad bottle, you'll need to try a few more to work out if the whole batch is under carbed.

I opened another which had a little more carbonation but again, what started as a sparse head, disappeared pretty quick and brew was still quite flat.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, JoeB7 said:

Does it taste sweet? That could indicate no 2nd ferment & the yeast has exhausted itself. Did you sanitise like an OCD Consuela?

family guy consuela GIF

Don't be disheartened @stevo1957 we all have had uninspiring results.

It tastes ok Joe. Not overly sweet, but with a bit of an aftertaste. I'm not sure though what the bewitched amber ale should be like.

I didn't sanitise as given a new kit and the first brew, just rinsed everything in hot water as per the instructional video from Coopers.

2 hours ago, ozdevil said:

this could be a number of factors in this  and is not uncommon in extract beer not to find head .  that doesn't mean its not carbed up

the state of your glass  it needs to be beer clean
style of glass you use  

what ingredients you used   

it may well be where you stored them was still to cold for the bottles and wort to carb up  , so yes  move to warmer environment say 20°c  for aweek

try a bottle in a few days then 1 in 5    if u feel  they are improving    happy days

like joeb7  said if the wort still is sweet ,  then ya still can kick a goal with the batch as   nothing has been absorbs like co2 in the bottle

give a gentle shake just enough to get the sediment moving  and place in a warmer  environment that you can

we all make mistakes along the way   and we all still make mistakes .

Thanks for the suggestions mate.

Glass is a large tumbler type that is always put through a dishwasher so hopefully, this wouldn't be the cause of my issues. 

Ingredients were just the can of extract and satchel of yeast that came with the kit. Extract was well in date.

I'm pretty sure the storage area would have never been below 20 degrees C.

I will grab them from the fridge and give a gentle shake as you suggest, and relocate to my bench in the garage that does get some window warmth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I would suggest leave it for a bit longer, next time forget the carb drops & carbonate with plain white sugar, 1 tsp = 4.1gms.

Without knowing your recipe, I would also suggest adding at least 250-300gm of Light Dried Malt, it will definitely boost the brew.

There are so many other factors but in short if you are using laundry products to clean your equipment & not rinsing thoroughly & of course your beer glasses have to be beer clean.

These topics have been mentioned many times on this forum.

If you want some more information, reply & I will post it.

Cheers

Phil.

Thanks Phil, I'll research the sanitising and cleaning aspects a bit more so I can do it better next time.

In the meantime, I'll move to a warmer place for a bit of extra brew time, as others have suggested.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stevo1957 said:

Thanks Phil, I'll research the sanitising and cleaning aspects a bit more so I can do it better next time.

In the meantime, I'll move to a warmer place for a bit of extra brew time, as others have suggested.

1. Glass is a large tumbler type that is always put through a dishwasher so hopefully, this wouldn't be the cause of my issues. 

2. Ingredients were just the can of extract and satchel of yeast that came with the kit. Extract was well in date.

3. I'm pretty sure the storage area would have never been below 20 degrees C.

Steve,

1. Dishwashers use soap - soap flattens your beer.  Use a beer glass that is thinner than your tumbler & designed for beer.

https://content.kegworks.com/blog/beer-clean-glass

2. You need to add a Brew Enhancer or Light Dried Malt minimum 250gm, I suggest 500gm for the 1.3kg Mr Beer tins.

Create a crisp and refreshing beer at home with the Coopers Light Dry Malt Mix. This fine powdered mix will make an excellent addition to all home brew recipes, improving the head retention, body and malt character of your favourite brews.

Product Features:

• Improves the body, malt character and head retention
  • Suitable for adding to all home brews
  • Intended to be used instead of white sugar
  • Ingredients: malted barley

3. Buy a thermometer to check the room temperature is constant, 20c would be OK for the Ale even 18c would be OK.

You also need to realise the importance of cleaning & sanitising your Fermenter & ALL equipment that comes in contact with it, the Tap, Lid, Stirring Spoon etc.

Don't use laundry products because they are cheaper - they are for the laundry!!

https://www.kegland.com.au/phosphoric-acid-blend-sanitiser-500ml-starsan.html

Read & study this article, most Home Brew Shops will have it or similar or you can order online.

REMEMBER this is Beer we are talking about here, apart from going into your body, you want to make it as pleasurable as possible so following the recommended instructions & using the right ingredients will greatly increase the chances.

In regard to storage 18c is considered to be ideal for beer bottles, I keep mine in wine boxes that have cardboard divisions. They are stored out of sunlight & sealed & labelled.

You may also want to consider building up a stock of glass bottles to experience the difference, Stubbies or Longnecks are fine, just clean them properly. If you need any help about this, ask & we can help.

I hope this helps & all the best with your brewing adventure.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 4

I have found that dishwasher leaves a bit to be desired when it comes to beer glasses. But only ever reduced the head. He has zero head. 

My bet is its 99% just a temperature and storage time issue.  It's winter.

Cleaning is super important, but got buggerall to do with his flat beer IMO.  The beer tastes ok.

This is very good info that phil postrd.. 

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 5

I have a Son in outer Sydney who has been brewing for about 18 months, he had Three Flat batches in the last few months.

It's been colder in the area than normal, didn't get enough heat to the newly bottled brews.

He's fixed that now and brews are back to bubbles...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

1. Glass is a large tumbler type that is always put through a dishwasher so hopefully, this wouldn't be the cause of my issues. 

2. Ingredients were just the can of extract and satchel of yeast that came with the kit. Extract was well in date.

3. I'm pretty sure the storage area would have never been below 20 degrees C.

Steve,

1. Dishwashers use soap - soap flattens your beer.  Use a beer glass that is thinner than your tumbler & designed for beer.

2. You need to add a Brew Enhancer or Light Dried Malt minimum 250gm, I suggest 500gm for the 1.3kg Mr Beer tins.

Create a crisp and refreshing beer at home with the Coopers Light Dry Malt Mix. This fine powdered mix will make an excellent addition to all home brew recipes, improving the head retention, body and malt character of your favourite brews.

Product Features:

• Improves the body, malt character and head retention
  • Suitable for adding to all home brews
  • Intended to be used instead of white sugar
  • Ingredients: malted barley

3. Buy a thermometer to check the room temperature is constant, 20c would be OK for the Ale even 18c would be OK.

You also need to realise the importance of cleaning & sanitising your Fermenter & ALL equipment that comes in contact with it, the Tap, Lid, Stirring Spoon etc.

Don't use laundry products because they are cheaper - they are for the laundry!!

https://www.kegland.com.au/phosphoric-acid-blend-sanitiser-500ml-starsan.html

Read & study this article, most Home Brew Shops will have it or similar or you can order online.

REMEMBER this is Beer we are talking about here, apart from going into your body, you want to make it as pleasurable as possible so following the recommended instructions & using the right ingredients will greatly increase the chances.

In regard to storage 18c is considered to be ideal for beer bottles, I keep mine in wine boxes that have cardboard divisions. They are stored out of sunlight & sealed & labelled.

You may also want to consider building up a stock of glass bottles to experience the difference, Stubbies or Longnecks are fine, just clean them properly. If you need any help about this, ask & we can help.

I hope this helps & all the best with your brewing adventure.

Cheers

Phil

@stevo1957 I found a picture of the Mr Beer Bewitched I brewed in the Coopers Craft Kit about 18 months ago, I did this & some of others quite a few times, they are all good beers.

2053545839_20210417_135852(3).thumb.jpg.fda75267698a05b0b07e0520811a2b0f.jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1

In winter since starting brewing I have always kept the bottles warm for the coldest 3 or 4 months. (For a few days) I've used various methods but always a light globe. Incandescent 25- 40 watt is enough but heat pad would be good. Current method is crates and blankets.

Resized_20220826_121440.thumb.jpeg.27155d8d17ca3c27165e552dc643e2b1.jpeg

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 4

On 10/20/2022 at 9:50 AM, DavidM said:

I have a Son in outer Sydney who has been brewing for about 18 months, he had Three Flat batches in the last few months.

It's been colder in the area than normal, didn't get enough heat to the newly bottled brews.

He's fixed that now and brews are back to bubbles...

Thanks David...I'm in NW Sydney. 

Have moved the brew from the fridge to my bench in the garage which gets some heat through the widow.  Here's hoping......

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

@stevo1957 I found a picture of the Mr Beer Bewitched I brewed in the Coopers Craft Kit about 18 months ago, I did this & some of others quite a few times, they are all good beers.

2053545839_20210417_135852(3).thumb.jpg.fda75267698a05b0b07e0520811a2b0f.jpg

Thanks Phil. Colour of my bewitched is a lot darker but perhaps they have changed the recipe a tad over the last 18 mths.

21 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

In winter since starting brewing I have always kept the bottles warm for the coldest 3 or 4 months. (For a few days) I've used various methods but always a light globe. Incandescent 25- 40 watt is enough but heat pad would be good. Current method is crates and blankets.

Resized_20220826_121440.thumb.jpeg.27155d8d17ca3c27165e552dc643e2b1.jpeg

Good info which I will keep in mind for my next brew........thanks

16 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

Make sure your bottles are sitting somewhere warm 18-20°c in a dark area, if it's too cold the yeast will take forever to do their job and creating carbonation.

Thanks.

I checked my temps a few times during the fermentation period and were in that range ....... maybe night time temps dropped and impacted.

• Like 1