Coopers Community

First brew - flat as a tack

stevo1957

So guys, leave it another week before I open and test another bottle? 

The PET bottles feel quite firm now and after a gentle shake to move the sediment around when I relocated the bottles yesterday.

I can see a bit more condensation around the top of the bottle today too.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stevo1957 said:

So guys, leave it another week before I open and test another bottle? 

The PET bottles feel quite firm now and after a gentle shake to move the sediment around when I relocated the bottles yesterday.

I can see a bit more condensation around the top of the bottle today too.

Yes, another week in the warm should do it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stevo1957 said:

Thanks.

I checked my temps a few times during the fermentation period and were in that range ....... maybe night time temps dropped and impacted.

Temperature of the bottles or the room?

If its say 18c in the room during the day but 10c at night it will take months to ferment.

Will take 5-6 hours for them to come up to temp, then they will dive again at night. Fermentation probably won't even start.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

Temperature of the bottles or the room?

If its say 18c in the room during the day but 10c at night it will take months to ferment.

Will take 5-6 hours for them to come up to temp, then they will dive again at night. Fermentation probably won't even start.

I was going off the temp strip on the empty FV that was in the storeroom so probably not the correct way to measure.   😕

I have so much to learn ............ 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stevo1957 said:

I was going off the temp strip on the empty FV that was in the storeroom so probably not the correct way to measure.   😕

I have so much to learn ............ 

Yeh,  so approximate room temp. By the time bottles start to warm up its evening  so room temp will start to drop again. They just don't get a chance. They need abt 4 days straight 18c or above.

Bottles have the same requirements as FV. Warmth, sugar, &yeast  and it just happens.

There are plenty of options  incandescent light globe in a bed lamp,  heat pad, beside the HWS, old electric blanket. 

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, stevo1957 said:

Thanks David...I'm in NW Sydney. 

Have moved the brew from the fridge to my bench in the garage which gets some heat through the widow.  Here's hoping......

Ok. So how cold has it been at night, 11c ? Needs to be constant, not 11c at night then 19c daytime. 

• Like 2