Coopers Community

Cleaning craft beer kit fermenting vessel

stevo1957

Just bottled my first batch.

How do I get the ring off the fermenting vessel?

Have tried hot water and some mild dish soap but it won't budge. It's sticks like glue.

I've read I don't use any abrasives so was wondering what I try next?

Edited by stevo1957
Spelling correction in title
  • Like 2

• stevo1957 changed the title to Cleaning craft beer kit fermenting vessel

Thanks. I've tried warm water and paper towel but it just smears it and it is still stuck fast. I haven't tried a chux yet.

Brew was a Mr Beer Bewitched ale.

Edited by stevo1957
Additional info added

Hey @stevo1957 Steve. I get off what I can with warm water and a soft cloth. I then tip that water out, put in 4 tablespoons of a laundry powder that contains about 25% sodium percarbonate (like napisan) and give that a good soak for a day or so.

The following day I give it another go with a clean soft cloth then tip all that water out and rinse thoroughly. That’s all I’ve ever had to do to get the krausen ring off. I don’t use hot water (my FV is plastic) just warm water.
Hope that helps

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, stevo1957 said:

Just bottled my first batch.

How do I get the ring off the fermenting vessel?

Have tried hot water and some mild dish soap but it won't budge. It's sticks like glue.

I've read I don't use any abrasives so was wondering what I try next?

I soak mine in a sodium percarbonate solution overnight and the next day, just rinse them out and either pack them away or sanitise for the next brew going in.

You can use any oxygen based laundry soaker as well as they all contain sodium percarb but you may want to rinse a bit more thoroughly as they tend to contain bleach and you want to get rid of it.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, stevo1957 said:

This stuff from Woolies is way cheaper than Napisan and has around 32% sodium percarb so imaging it would be ok for cleaning.

246193.jpg

Yep that’s the stuff. I use the no name brand b/c I’m a t!ghtar$e 🤣.  Just rinse it all off really well after soaking as AK @Aussiekraut mentioned.

Yep plenty to learn Stevo but no worries. That’s what this forum is good for. 
Cheers

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tone boy said:

Yep that’s the stuff. I use the no name brand b/c I’m a t!ghtar$e 🤣.  Just rinse it all off really well after soaking as AK @Aussiekraut mentioned.

Yep plenty to learn Stevo but no worries. That’s what this forum is good for. 
Cheers

Thanks. 
I'll give it a go. Soft cloth and warm water got a bit off but there's still residue to remove.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, stevo1957 said:

Thanks. 
I'll give it a go. Soft cloth and warm water got a bit off but there's still residue to remove.

All the above advise is spot on, my two bobs' worth is Bi Carbonate of Soda - you can buy it cheaply from Coles, I have been using it for years, it is great for cleaning the FV's.

I use abut 2-3 heaped Tablespoons of it in the FV & fill it up with warm water & let it soak for a day or two.

It virtually removes everything, but I still use sodium percarbonate to clean it thoroughly & then sanitise.

I do not use any product on any of my equipment including glasses that contain soap.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stevo1957 said:

This stuff from Woolies is way cheaper than Napisan and has around 32% sodium percarb so imagine it would be ok for cleaning?

246193.jpg

Is that stuff unscented? I wouldn't be using it if it has any kind of scent whatsoever. Plastic fermenters soak in everything. Why not just use something that is designed for brewing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Is that stuff unscented? I wouldn't be using it if it has any kind of scent whatsoever. Plastic fermenters soak in everything. Why not just use something that is designed for brewing.

Exactly, I agree, why be a tightar... when it comes down to your beer??  That stuff has got soap & all sorts of stuff that kills the head on your beer. The smell is bad enough 😬

• Like 3

Napisan should be fine. Soaked with unscented chlorine  bleach does the job too. 

But I get around it this way. 

I fill the fermenter to about 17-18 litres. (I don't bother with the hydrometer)

Then when the froth subsides, say day 4 it top up the FV to 21 litres.

When I bottle I bulk prime using 2 litres of sugar syrup.

By doing that the high tide is soaked in beer for about 5-6 days.  Just hoses out, almost no cleaning required.  🤣  Been doing it that way for yonks.

Garden likes it too. 😀

• Like 6

Hi @stevo1957,

I've got a Coopers fermenting vessel, with a lift off, not screw on lid. What has been working for me is rinsing the FV straight after emptying the sediment on the cactus, as @oldblokedoes. I've got a special sponge I don't use for anything else. I leave the FV to dry and pack away. Never had a problem with the krausen , or getting the sediment out.  Then I use White King bleach (unscented) to sanitise the FV and all the gear just before starting my next brew, and rinse like mad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldbloke said:

I fill the fermenter to about 17-18 litres. (I don't bother with the hydrometer)

Then when the froth subsides, say day 4 it top up the FV to 21 litres.

When I bottle I bulk prime using 2 litres of sugar syrup.

By doing that the high tide is soaked in beer for about 5-6 days.  Just hoses out, almost no cleaning required. 

Interesting technique, OB. I might give it try some time. I didn't think adding water to the wort so late in the process would be a done thing.

Edited by Malter White
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Pale Man said:

5 hours ago, stevo1957 said:

This stuff from Woolies is way cheaper than Napisan and has around 32% sodium percarb so imagine it would be ok for cleaning?

246193.jpg

get the one thats a little bit cheaper, from memory the one you've posted has little 'extras' that leave a slight scent like pale man mentions. the cheapest one is just sodium percarbonate and filler

IMG_9965.thumb.jpg.c8d032a0ff89372ac492c990bdc30860.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Malter White said:

Interesting technique, OB. I might give it try some time. I didn't think adding water to the wort so late in the process would be a done thing.

As long as the fermentation is still working more carbon monoxide will be created protecting the beer. In any case, I just lift the lid and pour it in.  So only a small chance of contamination. 

• Like 2

On 10/4/2022 at 6:28 PM, Stickers said:

get the one thats a little bit cheaper, from memory the one you've posted has little 'extras' that leave a slight scent like pale man mentions. the cheapest one is just sodium percarbonate and filler

IMG_9965.thumb.jpg.c8d032a0ff89372ac492c990bdc30860.jpg

I ended up with this one - 28% sodium percarbonate and no extras. It worked well.......FV is as clean as a whistle.

8861071.jpg.cbaad1d0c8d62c31e354946376467a4e.jpg

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, stevo1957 said:

I ended up with this one - 28% sodium percarbonate and no extras. It worked well.......FV is as clean as a whistle.

8861071.jpg.cbaad1d0c8d62c31e354946376467a4e.jpg

Be sure to rinse it well as it contains other nasties as does bleach. The smell is hard to get rid of & these products will affect head retention on your beer.

These products below are designed for cleaning brewing equipment.

https://www.kegland.com.au/stellaroxy-100-sodium-percarbonate.html

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Be sure to rinse it well as it contains other nasties as does bleach. The smell is hard to get rid of & these products will affect head retention on your beer.

These products below are designed for cleaning brewing equipment.

https://www.kegland.com.au/stellaroxy-100-sodium-percarbonate.html

I might be fussy but totally agree @Classic Brewing Co leave laundry products to wash your clothes. Use the correct beer cleaning products for your beer gear. An extra couple of bucks goes a loooong way towards a good beer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Pale Man said:

I might be fussy but totally agree @Classic Brewing Co leave laundry products to wash your clothes. Use the correct beer cleaning products for your beer gear. An extra couple of bucks goes a loooong way towards a good beer.

Same here. I use the laundry stuff for laundry-related things and SP for all food-related things like the milk tank of the coffee machine and of course all of the brewing gear. I use a fair bit of it, so I buy the stuff in 25kg sacks these days 🙂 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Same here. I use the laundry stuff for laundry-related things and SP for all food-related things like the milk tank of the coffee machine and of course all of the brewing gear. I use a fair bit of it, so I buy the stuff in 25kg sacks these days 🙂 

I am glad some of us are on the same page AK, we all have a laundry & keep our laundry products in there, in the Brew Room we use Brewing Products - easy. 😇

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For the fv I fill water, add 1 cup unscented bleach. Stir in then add 1/2 cup white vinegar. Stir again. Leave for a few hours. Drain then rinse at least 3 times using garden hose to blast the interior and remembering to run some through the tap each time.

Works for me.