Coopers Community

Best Extra Stout

Oldbloke

11 minutes ago, oldbloke said:

I will be putting another stout down soon. I really like the bottled coopers stout.

Has anyone brewed one of these?

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/best-extra-stout.html

I was thinking of replacing the dextrose with 1kg of LDM. As I have plenty in stock.

What is the "commercial Yeast culture"?

Opinions

I have not made that one, but it sounds nice.

Commercial yeast culture - Click to see the Coopers video (I hope the link works 🤪)

You could just use the yeast that comes with the Stout can.  However, it will not be quite the same flavour as done with the commercial yeast culture.

21 minutes ago, oldbloke said:

I will be putting another stout down soon. I really like the bottled coopers stout.

I was thinking of replacing the dextrose with 1kg of LDM. As I have plenty in stock.

Opinions

Hi Oldbloke.
I've made this stout except I didn't add the dextrose because nobody needs me on 6.8% beer. It's probably the best beer I've ever made and it's due to the Coopers commercial yeast used.
Here's a video explaining how to harvest it. https://www.diybeer.com/au/brewing-support/#video=FUyFWAWB0RU

Edited by Malter White
  • Like 1

Lol.

Came back here to delete the question about the Yeast. I found the coopers video too. 🙂 Did it many years ago.

I'll just drink one of the bottles of coopers stout I have waiting.  Use that Yeast.

Yes 6.8% is high. I might replace the 1kg dextrose with 500g of LDM. Should drop it to about 6%. Plenty.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, oldbloke said:

Opinions

That is exactly what I do when I make that recipe, lose the Dex, I add 1kg BE3, always turns out nice.

• Like 1

I made two off these over the winter, both good but the first one was a squeak better.

Coopers recipe calls for 500g Dextrose and 1.5k of Dark Malt.

Like Mr. White I felt that was too strong a drink for me, so I trimmed the Dark Malt to 1.0 k.

400g of dextrose, then added about 50g of Molasses.

Two packs of  Can Yeast

😊

Edited by DavidM
spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Malter White said:

@oldbloke I'm not trying to tell you how to suck eggs but just a tip from Coopers is that yeast from lower alcohol beers (eg. Pale or Mild Ale) tends to harvest better than higher ABV beers.

Yes, I spotted that. Thx. But I'm into stout. I'll give it some thought. I looked at my stock this morning. I'll do it in about a month I think.  I'm out of storage space and low on empty stubbies.

I wonder why they don't just sell that Yeast?

50 minutes ago, oldbloke said:

Yes, I spotted that. Thx. But I'm into stout. I'll give it some thought. I looked at my stock this morning. I'll do it in about a month I think.  I'm out of storage space and low on empty stubbies.

I wonder why they don't just sell that Yeast?

It's because it's their commercial yeast. Why would they sell it?

I agree with Muzz. Don't use the yeast from a stout bottle. Culture from six Pale ale or Mild ale stubbies. Much much more chance of success.

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, oldbloke said:

Yes, I spotted that. Thx. But I'm into stout.

Mate you could always do a Black 'n' Tan with the Coops Pale Ale. I do it often with stout & sparkling

I add the sparkling first to have a white head

While we're on topic, 3 long necks should be just as good as a Pale 6 pack, yes? Just want the bottles too

20220929_171336.jpg

12 minutes ago, JoeB7 said:

Mate you could always do a Black 'n' Tan with the Coops Pale Ale. I do it often with stout & sparkling

I add the sparkling first to have a white head

While we're on topic, 3 long necks should be just as good as a Pale 6 pack, yes? Just want the bottles too

20220929_171336.jpg

Yes three long necks should do the trick for a yeast culture too. Go four then you have an extra good session😁

• Haha 4

On 9/29/2022 at 9:01 AM, DavidM said:

I made two off these over the winter, both good but the first one was a squeak better.

Coopers recipe calls for 500g Dextrose and 1.5k of Dark Malt.

Like Mr. White I felt that was too strong a drink for me, so I trimmed the Dark Malt to 1.0 k.

400g of dextrose, then added about 50g of Molasses.

Two packs of  Can Yeast

😊

@DavidM  David, how did it come out with that can Yeast?

Edited by oldbloke

12 hours ago, oldbloke said:

@DavidM  David, how did it come out with that can Yeast?

I was very happy with the both Stouts

I'm sure it could be better if you used a different yeast

But I do almost all my brews with can Yeast.

I'm happy with the results.

• Like 3

Thx David. That's what I would expect.

I bought a stubbie of sparkling ale last week. Just looked, 5.8%, stout is 6.3%. I'll combine the Yeast from that and a bottle of stout. If the culture goes well I'll use that. If it smells or looks sus I'll just use a can Yeast.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2022 at 4:50 PM, JoeB7 said:

While we're on topic, 3 long necks should be just as good as a Pale 6 pack, yes?

Yes and no, Joe.  Although the volume of beer is the same and you have the same volume to grow your starter in, we produce longnecks about once a month and Pale stubs once or twice week. So, if you are going to use longnecks make sure they're not too old (less than six months old). 

Cheers! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• 8 months later...

I'm back into home brewing after a long break, and I am trying this recipe. I'm using 1.5kg of dried dark malt extract instead of the 1.5kg dark malt extract can. I dropped the dextrose to 400gm and added 200gm of molasses.  The smell after mixing/dissolving all of the ingredients in hot water was amazing. 

I tried the commercial yeast growing and failed the first time. It didn't work as I used the Coopers stout. I should have read more before I did it, about the low or no viable yeast in the stout bottles. Anyway, I did it again using Pale Ale and the yeast starter went off! I used some yeast nutrients and made up a lot of the commercial yeast over 48 hrs and used a mixing plate. I made a lot so I could ensure a complete fermentation of this high SG beer.  Pic attached. Prior to pitching the well mixed/dissolved brew started at SG 1.061. (23 ltrs)  I'm controlling the temp' as best I can at the recommended 21 deg C. About 7 hours after pitching it was really going off, for about 36 hours. On day 6 after pitching the brew is still bubbling just a little bit. I'll check SG on day 8 & 9 and see where it is.

I'd appreciate others commenting on their initial SG and how long theirs went for before complete and bottling. 

I'm a bit apprehensive of over carbonating the 750ml bottles with Qty 2 of the Coopers carbonation drops for a stout. Can anyone comment on their bottle carbonation observations of this recipe? 

Thanks!

IMG_7797.jpeg

Edited by Back2Brewing
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Back2Brewing said:

I'm back into home brewing after a long break, and I am trying this recipe. I'm using 1.5kg of dried dark malt extract instead of the 1.5kg dark malt extract can. I dropped the dextrose to 400gm and added 200gm of molasses.  The smell after mixing/dissolving all of the ingredients in hot water was amazing. 

I tried the commercial yeast growing and failed the first time. It didn't work as I used the Coopers stout. I should have read more before I did it, about the low or no viable yeast in the stout bottles. Anyway, I did it again using Pale Ale and the yeast starter went off! I used some yeast nutrients and made up a lot of the commercial yeast over 48 hrs and used a mixing plate. I made a lot so I could ensure a complete fermentation of this high SG beer.  Pic attached. Prior to pitching the well mixed/dissolved brew started at SG 1.061. (23 ltrs)  I'm controlling the temp' as best I can at the recommended 21 deg C. About 7 hours after pitching it was really going off, for about 36 hours. On day 6 after pitching the brew is still bubbling just a little bit. I'll check SG on day 8 & 9 and see where it is.

I'd appreciate others commenting on their initial SG and how long theirs went for before complete and bottling. 

I'm a bit apprehensive of over carbonating the 750ml bottles with Qty 2 of the Coopers carbonation drops for a stout. Can anyone comment on their bottle carbonation observations of this recipe? 

Thanks!

IMG_7797.jpeg

In the moment I am enjoying a stout I brewed in April, and I have one in the fermenter right now. Firstly remember that 1 kg of LDM is equivalent to a can of 1.5 kg, the weight difference is just water.

Stout  ABV 5.6  OG 1056    FG 1018    Volume 19.5l    Can of Coopers stout     LDM 1kg       Dextrose 200gr    Brew enhancer 1  500gr        Kit Yeast  and  Mr.Beer yeast     Cachaca Nha Dita  80ml        12 days fermenting       This one was really good after 3/4 weeks and still is

IMG_7177.thumb.jpeg.89880c3673f9ce630050ea6118d36c92.jpeg

The one in the FV is:  Stout     OG 1074     Volume 19l      Can of Coopers stout    BE3     Dextrose 200gr       Lactose 200gr       Kit Yeast x2     LDM 1kg         10 days fermenting now, will check again on the weekend.    I always use 2 drops in a 750ml bottle or with this one I will use the equivalent measuring spoon of table sugar. Really don't like flat beers

• Like 5

Thank you.  I was not aware of the can malt vs dry/spray malt equivalent. I will try a few bottles with one drop and the rest with two and see how it goes. Wow 1.074 is going to be a big beer. Dropping that FV volume sure does ratchet up the numbers, and the flavor intensity too I expect. Nice job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Back2Brewing said:

I will try a few bottles with one drop and the rest with two and see how it goes.

I tend to drink most of my ale brews in the 4-8 week age range.

But darks and stouts are better left for a lot longer, some that I have left longer have had too much head.

I have been cutting back on the priming sugar in the darks and stouts, in recent brews.

So drink the two drops first and keep the one drop back till last.

(I only use sugar, not drops)

• Like 3

Coopers Best Extra Stout (using Coopers yeast) recipe notes:

14 Jul 2023. 1000 Day 9. No observable surface activity. All clear. SG 1.020. Thought it may be lower at about 1.008-1.010. Maybe it’s the additional gunge that falls into the top of the tap as it ferments and drops to the bottom of the fermenter making this first draw off thicker? 

Look: It’s very dark, but cloudy. I can clearly see the fine particulates on the side of the glass (after pouring from the hydrometer tube) dropping after a swirl, and still clinging to the side of the glass. It sticks to the glass well, and is not a thin beer. 

Smell: It smells like Coopers Best Extra Stout i.e That Coopers yeast smell.  Wow it’s great dark malts smell, added with that OEM yeast smell.

Taste test: It definitely has the same bitterness style. Deep roasted malt flavour. Mouth feel is great and the same OEM aftertaste. (Good) No home brew twang. To me it’s very similar if not the same as the Best Extra Stout. A few months from now a side by side comparison will be very interesting. 

The “long” after taste is great too. No bad flavours, just the diminishing OEM stout flavour. 

I think it’s going to be very very good.

• Like 6

• 5 months later...

The unseasonably cool weather lately down South of Adelaide has given me unexpected opportunities to do some brews I would not expect to be able to do this time of year.  

One that's nearly finished brewing is a Coopers stout.

Ingredients:

1.7 kg Coopers Stout extract can.

1.5 kg Coopers liquid dark malt extract can.

1kg Coopers BE3

500gm of dark dry malt extract

2 x 7gm of Coopers yeast (R3559) from the Thomas Cooper's kits

Made to 23 ltrs. and will brew at 20-21 deg' C. 

OG 1.068

It tastes very thick and yummy. I'll bottle this one in the next few days and put away until May or beyond. 

• Like 6