Coopers Community

have you thought about investing in brewery

ozdevil

hey all  

has anyone here enquired about investing in  brewery and if so  how well have you done  and what was the dividends like on an annual basis  and when you decided to sell how easy was it for you to sell them  and what kind of return was you able to get

Thoughts Please

11 hours ago, ozdevil said:

hey all  

has anyone here enquired about investing in  brewery and if so  how well have you done  and what was the dividends like on an annual basis  and when you decided to sell how easy was it for you to sell them  and what kind of return was you able to get

Thoughts Please

My thoughts are simple, if you have the money & the investment is sound & proven, go for it but in this day & age with uncertainly looming in many areas, rising prices etc it is hard to tell.

I don't have money to invest so my thoughts probably don't mean much.

@ozdevil , why invest in just a brewery?  An investment needs to be made for maximum return with minimum risk (or a balance thereof).  There are hundreds if not thousands of investments you can make without it being an emotional one (brewery in this case) and you can get better returns and dividends by looking around and doing some research.

The ASX is probably the best and easiest way to invest in any company via your bank's trading platform, check with your bank if you can set it up and do this.  Its very easy.

Some examples (a few days old now):  ASX stock codes used.

EDV - Endeavour group (Dan Murphy, BWS etc.).  admittedly not a brewery but a retailer / wholesaler of grog has the following stats.  P/E = 30.05 and D/Y = 1.7 %.

P/E is the price / earning ratio.  In other words you would have to hold these shares 30.05 years in order to roughly double your money.  The D/Y is the dividend yield 1.7% per annum.  So if you hold these shares for one year you will get a 1.7% return on your money,  plus a capital gain if the share price goes up from your buy price during that period OR you have to deduct a capital loss if the share price goes down from your buy price in the same period.  Ya get the picture?  ******Disclaimer - I have held EDV shares since these first floated - so well ahead.

UMG - United Malt Group,  suppliers of malt world wide has the following stats.  P/E = 27.99 and D/Y = 1.8%

TWE - Treasury wines, suppliers of wine world wide has the following stats.  P/E 33.53 and D/Y 2.3%

Now let's look at TAH - Tabcorp for example.  P/E = 10.01 and D/Y + 8.5% and its 100% fully franked.  Now why the hell would you have money sitting in the bank earning SFA when you can get 8.5% on TAH.  plus you only have to hold these shares for 10 years (at 10.01 PE) to theoretically double your money.  Plus there has been a big capital gain in share price in the last few months as well (note probably unsustainable) so you have to keep your eye on the daily & weekly price as well.

It just goes to show how the punters cannot win against the bank, the bank always wins.  All due respect to punters who have a crack and have fun doing it but the reality is you are better off on the bankers side of the equation (very sorry and I opologise to @MUZZY and others who have an occasional punt). 

Do your homework, ask questions, seek professional advice as I am am not a licensed financial advisor.

@Classic Brewing Co , everyone has money to invest.  In most cases they waste it on other things.  For example in my earlier life my so called investments were in a good time  - grog, cars, girls, more grog, a lot more girls and a few more cars but later slowly less in cars and then a lot less grog and lastly a lot less girls.  I survived.

Hope this helps.

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

@iBooz2 Great info, AL, and no apology necessary. I punt for my entertainment and hope for the occasional windfall. I know the odds go against the punter.
As a NON-problem gambler I compare my punting with someone that might buy a season ticket/membership for a AFL football club. They'll spend roughly $50 a game to get in, $12 per beer and $8 for a tepid pie. Depending on what they consume you could say they'd spend $100 a game without being extravagant. Then do they take the wife and kids too? Wow!💰 And what return do they get? Well they get their weekly entertainment - great stuff - but they only have a 1 in 18 chance of premiership glory.
For me watching the races and usually seeing my pick pipped at the post is my entertainment. FFS! However I do get the occasional winning days which makes punting a more appealing form of entertainment for me. Each to their own I suppose.
You've also highlighted what I should do next. Buy TAB shares. So even when I lose I'll still win. 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I know the odds go against the punter.

Hey Muzza, it's something I have always been aware of ( not to mention that I know SFA about it 🤭) so I don't bet but I ain't going to learn just so I can lose more money, it's bad enough now going to the Supermarket battling the rising prices. 

I have nothing against it but if you are prepared to lose, have the occasional win & enjoy it, I say go for it.

• Like 3

@MUZZY, that is one of the best descriptions I've heard for punting for entertainment. As you said you control what and how you do it, sadly others get hooked on the loss and chase their tail to catch up and most times end in disaster. Well done for showing control and enjoying what you do.

We all have different things that consume our time and Money, if it's not hurting anyone, go for it. For me it was Windsurfing for a long time, can get expensive but you can go cheap. Others like fishing, can get expensive if you want a bigger boat! Or Cars, as high as you want to go..

Now I'm just a simple man who Brews beer and plays Golf (can be expensive), we all have to find out path.

Enjoy

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

Great link HTH.  To stressful for me.  I have enough trouble keeping up supply to my brother, brother-in-law and neighbour.  I only charge them for ingredients.  I enjoy the brewing/fermenting process, so my time is free.  I usually get a few litres from every brew I do for them too.  It is a way for me to brew and taste a greater variety of beers.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, MUZZY said:

@iBooz2 Great info, AL, and no apology necessary. I punt for my entertainment and hope for the occasional windfall. I know the odds go against the punter.
As a NON-problem gambler I compare my punting with someone that might buy a season ticket/membership for a AFL football club. They'll spend roughly $50 a game to get in, $12 per beer and $8 for a tepid pie. Depending on what they consume you could say they'd spend $100 a game without being extravagant. Then do they take the wife and kids too? Wow!💰 And what return do they get? Well they get their weekly entertainment - great stuff - but they only have a 1 in 18 chance of premiership glory.
For me watching the races and usually seeing my pick pipped at the post is my entertainment. FFS! However I do get the occasional winning days which makes punting a more appealing form of entertainment for me. Each to their own I suppose.
You've also highlighted what I should do next. Buy TAB shares. So even when I lose I'll still win. 🙂 

Today was a good day. Not life changing but I invested $70 and banked $152 with a couple more small bets to come. Worst case scenario today is I finish $82 up and possibly more. The reality is I'll give that $82 back a few times but it'll be fun. xx

• Like 5

12 hours ago, MUZZY said:

You've also highlighted what I should do next.

Muzzie @MUZZY I don't work for Coopers but I reckon that if you spent a few extra bux buying Coopers Kits instead of W W W or whatever and got some festive nice ingredients then you would be a long way ahead too mate to make a good beer : )

From my basic calcs if you buy Coopers Pale Cans on Spesh or at Dannns then over and above tasteless W W W kits it is about an extra $163 per year at a brew every fortnight or 45c per day...

something like that

Anyway - maybe there's a few win $$ to buy yourself a nicer Coopers Kit to make nicer beer @MUZZY : )

28 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Worst case scenario today is I finish $82

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Today was a good day. Not life changing but I invested $70 and banked $152 with a couple more small bets to come. Worst case scenario today is I finish $82 up and possibly more. The reality is I'll give that $82 back a few times but it'll be fun. xx

Go Muzza, go buy some Craft Beer & have lunch at a Brewery. 🥳

PS, take your wallet too 🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 1