Coopers Community

InkBird Temp controler

davids47

I have a inkbird control unit ITC-308, and want some info, do i put probe in beer or put it under some insulation and tape it to out side of fermenter,

I am going to tape a heat pad to side if fermenter as well

37 minutes ago, davids47 said:

I have a inkbird control unit ITC-308, and want some info, do i put probe in beer or put it under some insulation and tape it to out side of fermenter,

Attached User Manual ( which you probably have ) I have a Mangrove Jacks STC-1000 & the probe is best placed on the middle of the fermenter & held by tape with some sort of insulation, I use an old Stubby Holder but I imagine yours is the same procedure. You just keep the heat Belt above the yeast deposit & not too close to the probe or you will get false readings.

Another user with your model may offer more help.

Cheers

Phil

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=1c54f27af439e228aa874b253819356aJmltdHM9MTY1NzMyMDIzNSZpZ3VpZD0zODk5ZGU1NS04ZjIxLTQ5NDUtYWZiYS0xOWRjZTViYjEwZGYmaW5zaWQ9NTE1OQ&ptn=3&hsh=2&fclid=727552b6-ff0f-11ec-9600-c5f8c639967d&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9pbWFnZXMtbmEuc3NsLWltYWdlcy1hbWF6b24uY29tL2ltYWdlcy9JLzgxVk5iZFdZbWJMLnBkZg&ntb=1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davids47 said:

As @Classic Brewing Cosuggested, tape it under some insulation roughly in the middle of the beer level on the FV. Stubby holders are good, styrofoam does the trick as well but is bulky. I'm not sure if taping the heat pad to the FV is that good an idea. You are heating up one side of the brew, whereas the temperature probe is on the other. You may get higher temps before the heat is evenly distributed. But I am not a physicist. I'd just lean the pad against the side of the fridge and warm things up that way. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, davids47 said:

not using a fridge

That's a different story, if the FV is sitting out in the open it has to deal with the ambient temperature in the room ( you haven't said where you are ) It will be struggling to do it's job as the controllers not only heat or cool the brew but a fridge is needed as the controller is plugged into it & switches the fridge on or off as needed to maintain your target temperature,

If you are in a cold area you could try and insulate the FV but I would be wary of too much covering when their is electricity involved.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, davids47 said:

not using a fridge

Before I found an old fridge, i sat my fermenter on the heat pad and built a small box out of 3 ply, to sit over the fermenter.

This kept the beer close to the required temperature but only offered heat, no cooling. A timer turned the heat pad on for an Hour twice a day.

Which is all you will need in Victor Harbor for the next few months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Attached User Manual ( which you probably have ) I have a Mangrove Jacks STC-1000 & the probe is best placed on the middle of the fermenter & held by tape with some sort of insulation, I use an old Stubby Holder but I imagine yours is the same procedure. You just keep the heat Belt above the yeast deposit & not too close to the probe or you will get false readings.

Another user with your model may offer more help.

Cheers

Phil

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=1c54f27af439e228aa874b253819356aJmltdHM9MTY1NzMyMDIzNSZpZ3VpZD0zODk5ZGU1NS04ZjIxLTQ5NDUtYWZiYS0xOWRjZTViYjEwZGYmaW5zaWQ9NTE1OQ&ptn=3&hsh=2&fclid=727552b6-ff0f-11ec-9600-c5f8c639967d&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9pbWFnZXMtbmEuc3NsLWltYWdlcy1hbWF6b24uY29tL2ltYWdlcy9JLzgxVk5iZFdZbWJMLnBkZg&ntb=1

I will just throw in a slight correction, I misread your post in reference to heat pad, if it is a heat pad I agree with @Aussiekraut about taping it to the side of the FV, I was talking heat belt.

17 hours ago, davids47 said:

thanks for all info might have to look for fridge

A fridge is great to have but not always practical because of space and power requirements. A large box around the FV could suffice in the absence of a fridge. As mentioned above cooling can be an issue but there are ways around that also eg. ice bricks or a swamp cooling system (a wet towel over the FV and a fan).

In my early days of brewing I never used heat at all because the FV was always in the kitchen under an old t-shirt so the temperature never got to perilous levels.

Something like in the photo can work sufficiently as a brewing chamber and can be bought cheaply from those discount variety stores.

Screenshot_2022-07-10-05-33-09-89.jpg

20 hours ago, davids47 said:

not using a fridge

From personal experience I can recommend that you get one. I got a freezer which is more efficient than a fridge especially for cold crashing.

Honestly, the difference between temperature controlled and ambient fermentation is like chalk and cheese - I should have done it much earlier.

Caveat: I live in the Sunshine Coast where we get a wide range of temperatures.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2022 at 6:43 AM, Spursman said:

From personal experience I can recommend that you get one. I got a freezer which is more efficient than a fridge especially for cold crashing.

Honestly, the difference between temperature controlled and ambient fermentation is like chalk and cheese - I should have done it much earlier.

Caveat: I live in the Sunshine Coast where we get a wide range of temperatures.

Especially this bloody winter.

I've had to invest in a heat belt.

23 hours ago, jackgym said:

Especially this bloody winter.

I've had to invest in a heat belt.

Too right! Longest, wettest and coldest winter I can recall in 34 years.

Good excuse to get into the lagers though!