Coopers Community

WTF?!! Chicken salt beer.

Malter White

@Classic Brewing Co Precisely Phil.
I remember sampling a bacon beer at Barossa Valley Brewing. It definitely tasted like bacon but I found it terrible. Some time later I was in Hahndorf at another craft brewery and the proprietor said I must try his bacon beer. To which I responded, "Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should necessarily do it. No thanks."

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

@Classic Brewing Co Precisely Phil.
I remember sampling a bacon beer at Barossa Valley Brewing. It definitely tasted like bacon but I found it terrible. Some time later I was in Hahndorf at another craft brewery and the proprietor said I must try his bacon beer. To which I responded, "Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should necessarily do it. No thanks."

Yes & then there was Grumpy's at Verdun, great place but his 'Beesting' Beer was sickly sweet muck flavoured with Honey - Yuk & I remember somewhere in the Riverina I tried a Chilli Beer.

I do like the spicy, aromatic, citrus flavours that hops give to a beer but as far as adding fruit/vegetables/meat etc to beer - come on 😬

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

adding fruit/vegetables/meat etc to beer

My cherry stout is good, as it the hazelnut porter.

Some are good, many are not.

Milk sugar is horrid in beer (IMO) yet lots of people like it

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, interceptor said:

My cherry stout is good, as it the hazelnut porter.

Some are good, many are not.

Milk sugar is horrid in beer (IMO) yet lots of people like it

I have visited many Craft Breweries & also bought/tasted craft beers from all over AUS with additions of that type & so far there are only a few that I actually like.

I have one can of this 😬 in the fridge & I don' t look like opening it anytime soon. Truly one of the worst beers I have ever tasted.

100936-1.png?impolicy=PROD_LG

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

Just to clarify things, I don't think the bacon beer I tried actually had any bacon in it. I'm pretty sure the bacon flavour was created with smoked wood chips.

You can also get a Smoked Malt that, in excessive proportions, can make your beer taste like an ashtray.  I have never used it though.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

@Shamus O'SeanYou don't know what your missing. Ashtray - nom, nom, nom...😁

Check out this list of 8 strange beers from around the world, the first one would be enough to stop anyone from messing around with beer I would have thought.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=c23fc8d62aef2e2cae084b4586be57e0eb59c09385d482c3c64069505130aebbJmltdHM9MTY1Njg4NjEzMiZpZ3VpZD0wYzkxMTcxYi01NTY0LTQ5MjEtODVlZS02YjgxY2YzN2Y0NWMmaW5zaWQ9NTE4Nw&ptn=3&hsh=1&fclid=b911a850-fb1c-11ec-bb75-3fbb36891b9e&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubG9uZWx5cGxhbmV0LmNvbS9hcnRpY2xlcy93ZWlyZGVzdC1iZWVycy1mcm9tLWFyb3VuZC10aGUtd29ybGQ&ntb=1

• Haha 1

It's a gose and as such it needs to have salt in it. So why not add a little extra flavour of chicken? I'm pretty sure it won't be the equivalent to a tea spoon of that stuff in a glass, just small amounts and hints. Looking at what some breweries produce, I think this is harmless.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/4/2022 at 8:13 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

first one

Kriek – Brouwerij Lindemans, Belgium >> would be sensational.

As for the nuts in a beer, I'll pass on that but Oyster stout is not unusual.

And I recall chicken carcass used in beer, I think Craftbrewer did one once? It is a historical beer. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, interceptor said:

Kriek – Brouwerij Lindemans, Belgium >> would be sensational.

As for the nuts in a beer, I'll pass on that but Oyster stout is not unusual.

And I recall chicken carcass used in beer, I think Craftbrewer did one once? It is a historical beer. 

I will stick to beer Thanks 🍻

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I actually made 5 or 6 batches of sour in recent times

Hahahaha

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I will stick to beer Thanks 🍻

I understand the chicken was used as finings - gelatine. So not overly different to gelatine, plastic, seaweed or fish guts that people use now.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Popo said:

And? How was it?

Different 😄    I quite liked it, as a novelty. I wouldn't buy a lot of it. It does taste as it says, chicken salt beer.

I also have a savoury palate so it didn't offend me.  I'd drink another can now if i had one.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 7/3/2022 at 11:24 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

You can also get a Smoked Malt that, in excessive proportions, can make your beer taste like an ashtray.  I have never used it though.

Rauchbier Märzen

Not more than one for me...

• Like 2