Coopers Community

Dry Enzyme

jackgym

12 hours ago, Journeyman said:

There's one detrimental effect it removes, for me anyway. Atomic farts! 😄 Enzyme does that better than filtering the beer. 😄 

You aren't Robinson Crusoe when it comes to atomic farts after drinking home brew. 😃

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Well I am only Extract but with the occasional grain pack steep, always Malt Extract/LDME/Hops but for the time I don't find the need for anything else.

I used malt extract and wheat extract as the wheat should give it the dry mouthfeel I'm looking for. Or so I've read.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jackgym said:

You aren't Robinson Crusoe when it comes to atomic farts after drinking home brew. 😃

For me the enzyme works well. The filtering worked but not as good - I've yet to try both filter AND enzyme. 

I note above @Greeny1525229549(how many accounts DOES he have - there's 4 pop up when I type his username 😄 ) said he noticed a big difference using the enzyme. Maybe it was because he used it on lagers but I didn't notice a lot of difference in flavour or body. Like him I adjusted the input down to account for the ABV hike but that was in the stronger beers I make so I was getting it down from 9.5%.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

G'day all. I haven't posted for a while, but have been reading the forum.

I put some dry enzyme in a Coopers Cerveza that I made in October.

This was supposed to be a  lager for drinking in the nice hot sunny summer, which didn't really eventuate.

Anyhow the recipe.

Coopers Cerveza
500 grams LDME
250 grams Dextrose
250 grams Maltodextrin
50 Grams Lemon Drop
Dry Enzyme
Reused Morgan's Lager Yeast
About 20 litres

Fermented down to 1.003. I then bulk primed it with 7 grams of dextrose per litre. Which to me is what I'd normally use for a lager.

It tastes fine. Although I don't think I'll use Lemondrop hops again. I was thinking I'd get a more citrusy flavour.

The problem is, when opening the bottles. They're not gushers. But it's as though they are way over carbed.

There is a slim chance I didn't measure out the dextrose properly, but I don't think so.

So my question is, as the initial fermentation went down 1.003. Does the dry enzyme also use up more of the dextrose I've used for bulk priming?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Graculus said:

ermented down to 1.003. I then bulk primed it with 7 grams of dextrose per litre. Which to me is what I'd normally use for a lager.

It tastes fine. Although I don't think I'll use Lemondrop hops again. I was thinking I'd get a more citrusy flavour.

The problem is, when opening the bottles. They're not gushers. But it's as though they are way over carbed.

There is a slim chance I didn't measure out the dextrose properly, but I don't think so.

So my question is, as the initial fermentation went down 1.003. Does the dry enzyme also use up more of the dextrose I've used for bulk priming?

I hope I am not preaching to the converted here.  The Dry Enzyme works on the Malt Sugars that are not readily consumed by the yeast. This frees up more sugar for the yeast to work on. Hence Lower Carbohydrate Dry beer and more CO2, more carbonation.

The yeast will consume dextrose not the enzyme.

I don't mind the extra carbonation and the dry beer that results.

You could cut back on the Dextrose to balance out the freed sugar created by the enzyme.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Graculus said:

What @Pickles Jones says seems to make sense.  The Dry Enzyme works to free up more sugars from your wort.  The Dextrose for priming should be 100% converted by the yeast in your bottles.  I would have thought your bottles would be carbed the same as usual.

I wonder if your yeast may have gone to sleep before fully fermenting out.  Maybe adding the Dextrose at priming revitalised the yeast and, as well as converting the dextrose, it converted a bit more sugar from the brew.  Maybe task a sample from one of the bottles and test it's SG.  If it is less than 1.003, I might be right.  It is a long shot though.

• Like 3

Thanks Pickles & Shamus.

yes, I get what the dry enzyme is supposed to do which is why I'm scratching my head about this a bit.

Just having a look at my notes. It was in the FV for 18 days, first of all at 13C, then raised to 20c for a few days and then cold crashed.

Maybe I got it wrong and it wasn't finished at 1.003. I've never had a beer finish that low before and presumed it wouldn't go lower.

So really and truly if it had finished at 1.003 adding the dextrose for bottling should have been exactly the same as any other brew done like that.

I get what you're saying about checking the SG of a bottle Shamus, maybe I'll give it a go over the weekend if I have time.

• Like 2

Just as a matter of interest as I'm about to use Dry enzyme in a lager for the first time, is there a way to calculate what the estimated final gravity might be after having added a quantity of the enzyme to the wort? That is to say if we know what the EFG should be is there a way to factor the enzyme into that? Sorry if this has been asked a million times before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

Just as a matter of interest as I'm about to use Dry enzyme in a lager for the first time, is there a way to calculate what the estimated final gravity might be after having added a quantity of the enzyme to the wort? That is to say if we know what the EFG should be is there a way to factor the enzyme into that? Sorry if this has been asked a million times before.

Sorry I can't help with that question. Good question though.

As I said mine finished at 1.003. Without the dry enzyme I would have expected 1.010 or maybe 1.012.

I was surprised it went down as far as it did.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Graculus said:

Thanks Pickles & Shamus.

yes, I get what the dry enzyme is supposed to do which is why I'm scratching my head about this a bit.

Just having a look at my notes. It was in the FV for 18 days, first of all at 13C, then raised to 20c for a few days and then cold crashed.

Maybe I got it wrong and it wasn't finished at 1.003. I've never had a beer finish that low before and presumed it wouldn't go lower.

So really and truly if it had finished at 1.003 adding the dextrose for bottling should have been exactly the same as any other brew done like that.

I get what you're saying about checking the SG of a bottle Shamus, maybe I'll give it a go over the weekend if I have time.

All the brews I have done with the added enzyme have FG's that have been below 1.000.

When you add the priming sugar you would think that as the main fermentation has finished it would carbonate as per usual.

I think that what maybe happening here is that as the enzyme is always there it may still be working away very slowly breaking down the harder bits that have been left allowing the yeast to continue fermenting these slowly released sugars causing the extra carbonation.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2022 at 11:58 AM, Mickep said:

Just out of interest.

What are you planning on making?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graculus said:

Just out of interest.

What are you planning on making?

Really simple lager...I made this when I first started brewing. And I must admit I liked it - liked it a lot.

Coopers Lager kit

BE3

LDME -500grams

Volume 20 litres

Yeast Dubbya. 

Ferment temp 12 degrees C

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Mickep said:

Really simple lager...I made this when I first started brewing. And I must admit I liked it - liked it a lot.

Coopers Lager kit

BE3

LDME -500grams

Volume 20 litres

Yeast Dubbya. 

Thanks.

Could you post what the SG & FG of this are please.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Graculus said:
20 hours ago, Mickep said:

Coopers Lager kit

BE3

LDME -500grams

Volume 20 litres

Yeast Dubbya. 

Expand  

Thanks.

Could you post what the SG & FG of this are please.

@Graculus mate,

here you go

image_2022-02-13_175311.png

My notes also state that this was really drinkable even at 4 weeks in the bottle. Starts off bitter and mellows really quickly, at least according to my notes.

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, therealthing691 said:

Hi Brewers

Anyone had experience using dry enzyme to help create a dry crisp mouthfeel to kit beer?

Any detrimental effects to the beer?

When you add Dry Enzyme to the wort it will break down the Malt Sugars to release sugars that the yeast cannot access.

The yeast will then ferment those released sugars.

What will result is a less sweet (Dry) beer with a lower FG a higher ABV and some extra carbonation in the bottle which should give you the dry crisp mouth feel.

I haven't experienced any detrimental effects on the beer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2022 at 5:53 PM, Mickep said:

@Graculus mate,

here you go

image_2022-02-13_175311.png

My notes also state that this was really drinkable even at 4 weeks in the bottle. Starts off bitter and mellows really quickly, at least according to my notes.

So, looking at this it says it will finish at 1.015.

With the dry enzyme it'll be finishing a lot lower than that wouldn't it?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yes, but this spreadsheet does not have a feature to allow for it.

Yes, I know. I've had a bit of a play with it, but I don't usually it frequently.

Which is really why I was asking originally what Mickep thought it would finish at.

Actually reading the thread again I got a bit mixed up.

Mickep is saying he's making a Lager recipe he's already made, as the pic posted.

BUT this time he's going to use Dry Enzyme & he's already asked the question does anyone know how to calculate the FG when using the DE.

I thought he'd already made the Lager before and therefore would have an idea of where it would finish.

Edited by Graculus
  • Confused 1

Hi @Graculus and @Tone boy, I did a lager a little while ago and added Morgans Dry Enzyme into the FV just before pitching the yeast.

That brew had an OG of 1.045 and a predicted FG of 1.009 (without the Dry Enzyme effect).  Its FG was actually 1.000.  So predicted attenuation was about 80% and actual was 100%.  Not sure whether the effect of Dry Enzyme is measured in a percentage difference or number of SG points.  It gives you a guide though.

As far as taste, the beer was really nice.  From my perspective, I could not tell there was Dry Enzyme in it, but I do not know what Dry Enzyme tastes like.  It just tasted like beer.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi @Graculus and @Tone boy, I did a lager a little while ago and added Morgans Dry Enzyme into the FV just before pitching the yeast.

That brew had an OG of 1.045 and a predicted FG of 1.009 (without the Dry Enzyme effect).  Its FG was actually 1.000.  So predicted attenuation was about 80% and actual was 100%.  Not sure whether the effect of Dry Enzyme is measured in a percentage difference or number of SG points.  It gives you a guide though.

As far as taste, the beer was really nice.  From my perspective, I could not tell there was Dry Enzyme in it, but I do not know what Dry Enzyme tastes like.  It just tasted like beer.

Morgan's say this about Dry Enzymes, I have used it only twice & I didn't notice any real difference but I am sure it up's the ABV.

Add a dry enzyme to your brew to create a low carb beer!

It works by turning any carbohydrates into sugars then fermenting them into alcohol, leaving a crisp dry finish to your beer!

Great for making Corona equivalents and dry beers.

• Like 1