Coopers Community

Dry Enzyme

jackgym

18 minutes ago, jackgym said:

Hi Brewers

Anyone had experience using dry enzyme to help create a dry crisp mouthfeel to kit beer?

Any detrimental effects to the beer?

One of my mates uses it every brew & swears by it.

Used to reduce the FG of your beer.  Commonly referred to as Pilsner enzyme this product allows you to make crisper, less sweet beers/dry beers.  To use add at the start of fermentation or with the yeast and then allow for a longer to brew out.  With this product standard beers will brew down to 1.000-2 and malt beers will brew down to 1.006-8.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jackgym said:

Hi Brewers

Anyone had experience using dry enzyme to help create a dry crisp mouthfeel to kit beer?

Used it once in a megaswill clone. Got it down to 1.002 from memory. Have made it without the enzyme a fair few times and much prefer the fuller bodied one. But it's all personal preference. Just be careful of the ABV. The difference between putting in the enzyme or not is often up to 1% ABV extra.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Used it once in a megaswill clone. Got it down to 1.002 from memory. Have made it without the enzyme a fair few times and much prefer the fuller bodied one. But it's all personal preference. Just be careful of the ABV. The difference between putting in the enzyme or not is often up to 1% ABV extra.

No I know why my mate gets liquored up on a few Stubbies !🥳

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2021 at 4:51 PM, jackgym said:

Thanks everyone for your helpful answers.

I'll try the dry enzyme and see how it goes.

Cheers.

G'day Jackgym.

did you try the dry enzyme?

Just curious as I was talking to someone the other day and he suggested using it in cider.

my thoughts  is if your going to use dry enzyme  to get the crisp taste  i would be looking at doing it as a pilsner/lager and even a kolsch style beers

wouldnt worry to much with pale ales  or ipa's   

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, James Lao said:

Hey Graculus,

From memory I think cider yeast ferments down to around 1.000 anyway..

At least it did when I tried to make cider, was no residual sweetness left in the brew at all

Haven't made one since !

Cheers

James

Yes, it does go down to 1.000.

I'll have to question the bloke as to  why he thinks it's a good idea.

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

I am thinking what's wrong with a full bodied beer with a good head & a nice hop presence ?

I don't bother to CC, add enzymes, finings/gelatin etc. To me it's messing with what's supposed to be just a nice beer & making more work.

But then that's only my opinion.

That is the beauty of homebrewing there really is no wrong or right. There are some non negotiables to do with sanitation  but in the main a brewer does it the way that suits them.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, James Lao said:

From memory I think cider yeast ferments down to around 1.000 anyway.

I've got my first in the FV right now - literally just checked the SG 3 times - it's under 1.000. Not sure I understand that - there's less sugars in there than in WATER? 😄

On 3/23/2021 at 7:27 AM, jackgym said:

Hi Brewers

There's one detrimental effect it removes, for me anyway. Atomic farts! 😄 Enzyme does that better than filtering the beer. 😄 

7 hours ago, Graculus said:

Just curious as I was talking to someone the other day and he suggested using it in cider.

I asked about using it for cider on my thread about it and the consensus was I'd be wasting the enzyme. The issue with cider is trying to KEEP sweetness, not how to make it more dry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

I don't bother to CC, add enzymes, finings/gelatin etc. To me it's messing with what's supposed to be just a nice beer & making more work.

I CC and sometimes use gelatin. If I do a decent partial I will use whirflock in the boil. But in recent times I've got enough kegs on the go I usually CC for 4 days or more and don't bother with gelatin.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah depending on what you are making. The times I used it was with lagers bringing them down about 8 points from 1.010 to 1.002 type numbers

did you find lost much of the body from doing this? I've got a few packs to try on a lager and heard mixed reviews.

13 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

did you find lost much of the body from doing this? I've got a few packs to try on a lager and heard mixed reviews.

Yeah plenty of body lost mate. I played around with it with my tooheys new clone. From memory I just backed off the fermentables to account for the lower FG for one batch and the other I adjusted the sugar addition and made it more grain. That was the better batch though overall wasn't a fan of the results. But that doesn't mean it won't suit your taste buds mate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah plenty of body lost mate. I played around with it with my tooheys new clone. From memory I just backed off the fermentables to account for the lower FG for one batch and the other I adjusted the sugar addition and made it more grain. That was the better batch though overall wasn't a fan of the results. But that doesn't mean it won't suit your taste buds mate.

yes thanks I was thinking I'll just steep some specialty malts to make up for the loss of body as they shouldn't ferment away and be lost anyway?

5 hours ago, Journeyman said:

I asked about using it for cider on my thread about it and the consensus was I'd be wasting the enzyme. The issue with cider is trying to KEEP sweetness, not how to make it more dry.

Yes, I saw  you mentioned in your cider thread, AFTER I posted in here.
To be honest I don't want sweetness anywhere near my cider. Dry as dry can be is how I like them.

I'm intrigued now as to when it's good to use a dry enzyme. I had heard of it, but never really taken much notice of it to be honest.

I might get some and see what effect it has on a cider, and I'm thinking maybe a cerveza.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Graculus said:

G'day Jackgym.

did you try the dry enzyme?

No mate, I used a tin of wheat malt extract along with a tin of light malt extract in the mix as apparently the wheat does the same thing, or better.

I've yet to try the beer.

• Like 1