Coopers Community

EASTER BREWING 2021

Well Brewers I suppose as Easter is almost here & the seasons are changing & Autumn changes to Winter we should start planning different brews for the coming months.

I certainly intend to do a few Dark Ales & Stouts for the Winter period & I figure now is a good time to start as they will be nicely matured by then, but it still  hard not to make Pale Ales/IPA's etc.

Does anyone have a strategy or goal they want to achieve or do you just make it as you go along ?

47 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Does anyone have a strategy or goal they want to achieve or do you just make it as you go along ?

I mostly make as I go along.  I typically have 4-5 brews planned ahead.  I like to try to have a pale, an amber and a dark beer of some type in the kegerator at any one time.  That does not always work out though.

The brews I do are inspired by recipes on here, the ROTM, Youtube, and other folks recipes.  Occasionally, I will make something up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I mostly make as I go along.  I typically have 4-5 brews planned ahead.  I like to try to have a pale, an amber and a dark beer of some type in the kegerator at any one time.  That does not always work out though.

The brews I do are inspired by recipes on here, the ROTM, Youtube, and other folks recipes.  Occasionally, I will make something up.

Sounds fair, now that I have 4 Fermenters 2x 23 litre yield & 2 X Craft 8.5-11 litre yield it has given me much greater control to manage variety.

Perhaps I should try making something up ! 👨‍⚕️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a fairly loose strategy of making mostly darker beers around Easter time onwards but I still make the odd paler styles in the colder months as well, in case I get taste bud fatigue from drinking dark beers. That's not typically an issue though.

• Like 2

I have just realised whilst bottling my Mr Beer Golden Ale I was actually a couple bottles short of doing it, then I remembered I had a few Weihenstephaner 500ml bottles in my recycling bottle bin. I quickly cleaned & sterilsied a few. I think they will be OK.  As I have been putting in 2 x Carb Drops in my 450ml Grolsch Bottles I did the same witth them. 

hefeweissbier_inkl_033l_US.png

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I have a fairly loose strategy of making mostly darker beers around Easter time onwards but I still make the odd paler styles in the colder months as well, in case I get taste bud fatigue from drinking dark beers. That's not typically an issue though.

As long as there is something to drink @MUZZY

man-with-beer-vector-id110873552?k=6&m=110873552&s=612x612&w=0&h=jplypilmqo7_v3JxM1Davw2VaNiXbXTsOR1x5No4kqY=

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Well Brewers I suppose as Easter is almost here & the seasons are changing & Autumn changes to Winter we should start planning different brews for the coming months.

I certainly intend to do a few Dark Ales & Stouts for the Winter period & I figure now is a good time to start as they will be nicely matured by then, but it still  hard not to make Pale Ales/IPA's etc.

I'm usually doing my Belgians and always do a stout or a porter. I have a liking for porters more than stouts so will do a batch of that. The problem with my Belgians and dark beers are they are usually 7 plus ABV so I still have a lower ABV beer on the kegs.

13 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

I'm usually doing my Belgians and always do a stout or a porter. I have a liking for porters more than stouts so will do a batch of that. The problem with my Belgians and dark beers are they are usually 7 plus ABV so I still have a lower ABV beer on the kegs.

Yes I know what you mean, they are definite stay at home beers when you start on them but I always like to have a Pale or something close by on a  Hot Day - Cold, Raining, Windy, Humid, Stormy, Floods _ you know what I mean.

I made the 2019 Vintage ale last year for winter and took it away to the snow. Had to sub out the english bitter for real ale, due to what's available, but still ok.. There's a flavour in the real ale and english bitter kits that I really don't agree with and that came through in the brew, but I coped.

I’m looking at doing my take on an Irish red ale coming into the cooler weather. I’ve been mulling over the recipe the last week or so, and I think (hope) something decent will emerge from my musings.

I’ll chuck the recipe up on a different thread for comments/suggestions/feedback and the inevitable adulation of my genius beermongering🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Stickers said:

i've got some cherrywood smoked ale grain (1kg) i picked up on a whim and will chuck that into either a real ale or dark ale kit and kilo. still deliberating on which one to go with.

Out of those two I’d go the real ale @Stickers That grain sounds really interesting and I’m worried the dark ale might overpower it....

• Like 1

Having just drank the last of my Lawnmower Lager [using BE1] I gave it 7.5 / 10. Very nice.  Next at 3 weeks in the bottle and having tried 2 bottles, Dark Ale [using BE1] which is very refreshing and not over powering flavour. The Woolager [Woolies Lager + BE2] is just over 1 week in bottle so will hold off till next Wednesday for a sample. This weekend I will place a draught + BE2 in FV. By the cooler months, up here 20 C deg is cool for most, I should have an idea of what is going to be my standard drink. Oh, there is a Real Ale + BE2 to get fermenting after the draught. Hmmm I like all I have done so far. Cheers.   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

Having just drank the last of my Lawnmower Lager [using BE1] I gave it 7.5 / 10. Very nice.  Next at 3 weeks in the bottle and having tried 2 bottles, Dark Ale [using BE1] which is very refreshing and not over powering flavour. The Woolager [Woolies Lager + BE2] is just over 1 week in bottle so will hold off till next Wednesday for a sample. This weekend I will place a draught + BE2 in FV. By the cooler months, up here 20 C deg is cool for most, I should have an idea of what is going to be my standard drink. Oh, there is a Real Ale + BE2 to get fermenting after the draught. Hmmm I like all I have done so far. Cheers.   

Yes it gets really hard to choose after you have put in a lot of work developing all of these beers, I have really been pumping them out lately giving me a really great variety ( hopefully ) to store & mature, I have several different Pale Ales, IPA's, Draught, Golden Ale, Dark Ale, Lager & this weekend I am doing a Stout. Having 4 Fermenters going is a lot of work but it is starting to pay off as I currently have 10-12 cartons stacked & labelled, give or take the odd one taken for sampling. I am fortunate as I am within reach of 3-4 really great LHBS & this gives me a wider choice of products to choose from.  I get a lot of satisfaction brewing all of these different types & can make improvements on repeat batches if necessary. 

Cheers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CLASSIC said:

I haven't heard of that one @Green Blob  sounds different.

Cherry Ripe Stout - cherries and coconut, with a chocolate like grain bill.
Iced Vovo Stout - raspberries, coconut and marshmallows, with a chocolate grain bill.
Ginger Nut Stout - golden syrup and ginger juice and a chocolate grain bill.

I have made and enjoyed all of the above.

Perhaps a Cadbury Creme Egg Stout?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

Cherry Ripe Stout - cherries and coconut, with a chocolate like grain bill.
Iced Vovo Stout - raspberries, coconut and marshmallows, with a chocolate grain bill.
Ginger Nut Stout - golden syrup and ginger juice and a chocolate grain bill.

I have made and enjoyed all of the above.

Perhaps a Cadbury Creme Egg Stout?

I understand the possibilities with Stout is endless, mine have been fairly basic so far, I haven't ventured into anything other than kits & a few additives but I need to start experimenting.

The nicest I did was the Toucan with minor additives but tomorrow I am doing something different. I have seen them melting chocolate & adding all sorts of goodies but I need to tread carefully & not stuff anything up. 

2 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

I use grain rather than do that crap.

Yes I understand, next time I visit the LBHS I will be getting some grain together, I have equipment to process it & so far have only dabbled with it, but I do know it does elevate the beer to the next level, so I will be right into it ASAP.