Coopers Community

Sourdough

ben 10

8 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

A very good photo tutorial for all us sourdough noobs thanks @stquinto ,  you have done well once again.  A big 👍 from me.

my pleasure @iBooz2 mate 👍

Glad to share something rather than just ask the questions 😉

As you can see this loaf if like a multi-grain / granary style loaf. I came across a flour that had all the bits in (seeds etc.) but at the same time seems to be mainly white flour.

Wholemeal can be a b*tch to work with. I tried my second loaf with wholemeal and it ended up like a rock. I read then that it was a bit more difficult, gets sticky etc.

Obviously I'd rather make healthier loaves but in a sourdough it's only flour, water and salt, so no dodgy stuff that keeps it "fresh" for a week or more like you'd get in a sliced loaf. So better that nothing.

• Like 3

Ok I think I need my sourdough starter needs to be put up for adaption and adopted out.  Bloody thing is eating me out of house and home and it keeps trying to climb out of its jar!

Will give it one more good feed and then pinch some for a loaf over the WE then slip it into the fridge for hibernation for a week of so.

Did manage to get something out of it on Tuesday night as I made myself a pizza (wife was at work) and it turned out terrific.  Slightly over cooked the base as I was still thinking about my first attempt where it turned out very wet and doughy and did not cook through. So this time I allowed the pizza stone to get a little too hot in the Weber Q.  But the base turned out like thick toast and that's the way I like them so all good.

Anyway tried to eat it all but got to about 7 O'Clock in the pizza slices and had to concede defeat.  Leftovers for lunch today.

Used my own fresh ground ham off the bone not that supermarket shredded rubbish ham that is full of salty water, Pineapple, mushrooms, red onion, pepperoni and pizza cheese from Woolies.  

Pizza crust like toast - resized.jpg

Pizza tonight - resized.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Ok I think I need my sourdough starter needs to be put up for adaption and adopted out.  Bloody thing is eating me out of house and home and it keeps trying to climb out of its jar!

Will give it one more good feed and then pinch some for a loaf over the WE then slip it into the fridge for hibernation for a week of so.

Did manage to get something out of it on Tuesday night as I made myself a pizza (wife was at work) and it turned out terrific.  Slightly over cooked the base as I was still thinking about my first attempt where it turned out very wet and doughy and did not cook through. So this time I allowed the pizza stone to get a little too hot in the Weber Q.  But the base turned out like thick toast and that's the way I like them so all good.

Anyway tried to eat it all but got to about 7 O'Clock in the pizza slices and had to concede defeat.  Leftovers for lunch today.

Used my own fresh ground ham off the bone not that supermarket shredded rubbish ham that is full of salty water, Pineapple, mushrooms, red onion, pepperoni and pizza cheese from Woolies.  

Looks excellent @iBooz2  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iBooz2 said:

Ok I think I need my sourdough starter to be put up for adaption and adopted out.  Bloody thing is eating me out of house and home and it keeps trying to climb out of its jar!

Pizza crust like toast - resized.jpg

Pizza tonight - resized.jpg

Great news @iBooz2 mate!

What you can do also is have the “mother ship” starter permanently in the fridge, and take some starter out (there is a technical word for this - a levain) to cultivate for each loaf or pizza bases. If you knock  up a batch of pizza bases they can be frozen. Can’t remember at which stage, check the Ooni recipe

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I made a loaf of sourdough the ther day so took some photos of the first part of the procedure (to complment the "photo essay" I did earlier).

1. take some active starter (which has doubled in size from where the level was when last fed)

735110547_1_activestarter.jpg.77b0780687e1a35ba75acfa4aa1e98bf.jpg

2. 75g of it in a bowl (for a 750g loaf)

1966673068_2_75gstarter.jpg.24e169ac5ee1ef55568726a09929d183.jpg

3. add 525g water, heated for 90 seconds in the microwave

1222237076_4_mixwaterandstarter.jpg.384aecade68e9995e166a5704c491db2.jpg

4. mix it together

1433158147_5_mixedstarter.jpg.5a99fd493b3afd26c7bcd52c2d56698b.jpg

5. weigh 750g flour (you can mix them but be carful of only wholemeal flour unless you have a lot of experience ), and also 15g salt

6_flour.jpg.8e12f135f48e6ec0bf11efa22ef4ed20.jpg

6. mix the flour and salt by hand until it is all incorporated (no kneading)

369081062_9_aftermix.jpg.0186c6de80ec7179ad864e0978bb309a.jpg

7. cover with a shower cap or damp tea towel, and leave it an hour, ideally around 20-21°C

10_rest.jpg.65f07070381312ee2576f31dc57e2d75.jpg

8. pull one edge of the dough, and fold it over. Turn the bowl 90° and do the same (full circle = 4 folds)

11_fold.jpg.c9148b90390d52419703c28039a5a520.jpg

9. repeat this three more times at 30 minutes interval, and leave it for 8 to 10 hours. 

This stage is called the first rise or first proof.

At this point if I know I can't get back to it at the 8 to 10 hours point I will put it in the fridge - it slows the rise.

10. it should look a bit like this before this first rise

1103359137_12_afterfold.jpg.540d7053124ea05581f8ee380d261a95.jpg

11. and after the 8 - 10 hours

1705817148_13_afterrise.jpg.0b4e691e8b829dc018bc7e69ece23b7a.jpg

12. turn it out onto a floured work surface, and flour your hands (it will still be a bit sticky)

14_knead.jpg.2065bcb4440289837dda4792c988b4e1.jpg

13. carry out four more folds, flip it over, and cup and turn the loaf to make it round, and put it in the banneton for the second rise.

17812745_17_aftersecondrise.jpg.80252485d3a95b92c7c960eb2297f426.jpg

14. put it in the fridge for at least 3 hours (you can go for much longer I think - it can help with the sour flavour) for the second rise/proof, with the shower cap on again.

It should come a bit bigger (sorry, forgot the photo after the proof)

Then carry on with heating the oven with the Dutch oven in it, flipping it over onto paper etc, the cut, and the baking.

This system works well for me.

I've been doing it for about 18 months, have tried a few other methods but keep coming back to this way of doing it.

Hope this helps

• Thanks 3

On 11/2/2021 at 1:27 AM, stquinto said:

Hope this helps

Sure does @stquinto , super effort with all the pics and descriptions once again - thank you.

What temp was the water after you zapped it in your microwave?  Just asking as different MW units have a big variation in power output and it may make or break a yeast livelihood if the wrong temp of water used. 

Great looking end result in that loaf.  Must have been good to munch that baby down at mealtime.  

I have been thinking of making sourdough baguettes for summer time lunches here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

Sure does @stquinto , super effort with all the pics and descriptions once again - thank you.

What temp was the water after you zapped it in your microwave?  Just asking as different MW units have a big variation in power output and it may make or break a yeast livelihood if the wrong temp of water used. 

Great looking end result in that loaf.  Must have been good to munch that baby down at mealtime.  

I have been thinking of making sourdough baguettes for summer time lunches here.

IB mate, I've not measured it. I will next time. I think the setting is 1000W. I just use warmish water to kick start the procedure.

If you'd rather not risk it, just use tap water that's been sitting in a jug for a while (for any impurities to drop out).

Next time I would cook it for slightly longer, makes sense as it is a large loaf than in the recipe (750g rather than 500G so I used half as much again for each ingredient).

Hope it woks out for you 😉 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @stquinto, you will be happy to know that I am doing a sourdough loaf tonight using your exact recipe above, in fact am almost up to the overnight proofing (as it will be too late to bake later).  Going to do a long thin style loaf so I can use some of it for fresh bread and the remainder for garlic bread to accompany Thursday night's dinner.

Will take some pics as I go through the process so as to compliment your excellent photos and I will post them up tomorrow.  Hopefully I won't do something wrong so it turns out a flop. ha ha.🤞 Fingers crossed.  Thanks again for your help.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Hey @stquinto, you will be happy to know that I am doing a sourdough loaf tonight using your exact recipe above, in fact am almost up to the overnight proofing (as it will be too late to bake later).  Going to do a long thin style loaf so I can use some of it for fresh bread and the remainder for garlic bread to accompany Thursday night's dinner.

Will take some pics as I go through the process so as to compliment your excellent photos and I will post them up tomorrow.  Hopefully I won't do something wrong so it turns out a flop. ha ha.🤞 Fingers crossed.  Thanks again for your help.

Good luck mate! As I mentioned, I would stick to white flour to begin with. After you get the hang of it you can branch out. 
I did these two the other day -750g white loaf and 500g mixed-grain

A702762C-916A-4DF3-A708-CC823BC8A48F.jpeg

• Like 2

Well @stquinto, my rustic long sourdough loaf does not look anywhere near a pretty as your effort but I prefer my home made bread this way.  It was cooked in my fan forced oven at 230 C for 45" over a tray of boiling water to keep moisture about right.  It was hand mixed and folded as per your recipe above.

One failure was the razor cuts I made were not deep enough so they got a bit lost in the cooking process.  I like a nice crusty bread with a good centre so this cooking time seems to work for me for this size loaf. 

Flavor wise it is just as I like it absolutely delicious, not too sour and you can just taste the sweetness of the soft bread centre, very happy.  In fact since these pics where taken I think I have eaten about 6 slices.  Going to dig out some nice savory toppings later and have some more.  I was going to cook a nice hot dinner but I think these snacks and few beers will do me tonight.

Big thank you to @disgruntled too for all his help and encouragement.  Cheers fellas.

Sourdough loaf raw - resized.jpg

Sourdough loaf baked - resized.jpg

Sourdough loaf taste test - resized.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Well @stquinto, my rustic long sourdough loaf does not look anywhere near a pretty as your effort but I prefer my home made bread this way.  It was cooked in my fan forced oven at 230 C for 45" over a tray of boiling water to keep moisture about right.  It was hand mixed and folded as per your recipe above.

One failure was the razor cuts I made were not deep enough so they got a bit lost in the cooking process.  I like a nice crusty bread with a good centre so this cooking time seems to work for me for this size loaf. 

Flavor wise it is just as I like it absolutely delicious, not too sour and you can just taste the sweetness of the soft bread centre, very happy.  In fact since these pics where taken I think I have eaten about 6 slices.  Going to dig out some nice savory toppings later and have some more.  I was going to cook a nice hot dinner but I think these snacks and few beers will do me tonight.

Big thank you to @disgruntled too for all his help and encouragement.  Cheers fellas.

Sourdough loaf raw - resized.jpg

Sourdough loaf baked - resized.jpg

Sourdough loaf taste test - resized.jpg

Mate, that’s perfect 🤣😀

What everyone is looking for is the big holes, great job!

The shape only comes from the banneton basket: if you want that you can get all sorts of shapes - round, oval or baguette-shaped. But it doesn’t change much apart from the aesthetics.

Your loaf really looks the business though !

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

@stquinto  & @Pale Man  your Sourdough's look awesome, I haven't got time for those ATM as there is a house move on the agenda however I am pretty interested in having a go at these a little later, well done chaps. @disgruntled I have seen yours too & they are good. Cheers.

Thanks mate, but I've never made a sour dough in my life. Bakers Delight is my friend. 

• Haha 1