Coopers Community

Sourdough

ben 10

Starter Recipe

The flour that I have used here is a combination of

Kialla white unbleached organic flour and

Wholegrain Milling organic rye

I made this starter in the middle of a Melbourne winter, so it was reasonably slow to get going. You may find that your starter becomes active quicker than these photos would suggest. If so that is great. You would still do well to follow the schedule for refreshing the starter daily for 2 weeks (see below).

Day 1:

Clean your jar and stirring spoon with boiling water

Add to the jar:

• 50g water
  • 35g white flour
  • 15g rye flour

Stir, and set aside for 24 hours.

Depending on the time of year and the ambient temperature, you may find it harder or easier to get a starter going. The best temperature for yeast activity (at least the sort that are found in sourdough) is about 30 degrees C (that’s 80F for any imperialists out there). If the weather is cool your starter may be slow to establish. If it is very warm there is a bigger chance of the starter getting contaminated with unpleasant bacteria. I have had most experience with getting starters going at about 20C.

Day 2

There won’t be much to see yet, but that’s OK.

Add to the jar

• 50g water
  • 35g white flour
  • 15g rye flour

Stir with a clean spoon, cover and set aside for 24 hours

Day 3

Still not much to see

Add

• 50g water
  • 35g white flour
  • 15g rye flour

Stir with a clean spoon and leave for 24 hours

Day 4

a few definite bubbles visible below the surface

Discard most of the starter (put it in the compost or the bin), leave about a tablespoon in the jar

Add 100g water, 70g white flour, 30g rye

stir and leave for 24 hours

Day 5

More bubbles visible, but the starter hasn’t increased in volume perceptibly.

Discard most. Add 100g water, 70g white flour, 30g rye.

Day 6

The starter has increased in volume (by a 1/3 perhaps), and has now lots of bubbles below the surface. It has a complex slightly fruity odour.

Discard most of the starter (leave a tablespoon at most in the bottom of the jar). Add 100g water, 70g white flour, 30g rye (getting the idea yet?).

Day 7 (onwards)

Using the above technique you will need to continue to refresh your starter daily for at least another week. Each time you will need to discard the majority of the starter, and add in new water and flour.

Your starter is ‘active’ when after 24 hours it has increased (doubled) in volume, has a thick layer of froth on the top, and a rich network of bubbles below the surface. It is now ready to use for baking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Ultimate Fast Sourdough

Yield: One 9-inch round loaf.

Equipment: A 4½- to 5½-quart heavy pot with lid; a large piece of parchment paper.

100 grams prepared starter (such as King Arthur Classic Fresh Sourdough Starter, $8.95) 
200 grams (about 1 1/4 cups, plus 2 tablespoons) unbleached all-purpose flour
100 grams (about 2/3 cup) whole wheat flour
6 grams (about 1 teaspoon) fine sea salt
230 grams (about 1 cup, plus 1 tablespoon) 65F-70F water
Wheat bran, for dusting

1. In a large bowl, combine the white flour, wheat flour, and salt and whisk to combine. In a small bowl, whisk the starter and water until the starter is fully dissolved. Pour the starter mixture into the flour, and use a flexible spatula to quickly mix. Cover the bowl loosely with a clean kitchen towel, and let the dough sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.  

2. Turn the dough, pulling it off the sides of the bowl and folding into the center as you turn; work it as little as possible. Cover loosely and let rest for 30 minutes before turning the dough again. After approximately 5 turns, or 2 ½ to 3 hours, the dough should be ready. (Don’t expect to see a big increase in size in this dough—by turning the dough every half-hour, you are doing what I call the lazy man’s version of kneading the dough—improving the texture without much effort.) 

Note: How do you tell when it’s ready? You want it to get to the point where it is capable of holding a shape, and not ooze into a pancake when you shape it into a ball.  It should be so interested in sticking to itself that it easily peels off the bowl when ready to shape.   

3. Place a large piece of parchment paper on a sheet pan and cover with wheat bran, so that you can no longer see the paper. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and form it loosely into a ball: hold it with both hands and gently tug the sides down and under, into the middle of the dough, to make a taut ball; don’t let the dough tear. Set the dough seam side down on the bran-coated paper. Dust the top of the dough lightly with more bran. Cover loosely with the towel and let it sit at room temperature until doubled in size, about 2 hours.

4. Preheat the oven to 500F (450F if your oven runs hot). Preheat a cast-iron ovenproof pot with tight-fitting lid, such as Le Creuset, in the oven. Carefully remove the lid and transfer the dough on the parchment into the pot. Use a serrated knife to score the loaf with a long slash, to allow the dough to expand. Cover the pot immediately and place the pot in the oven.

5. Bake the bread for 35 to 40 minutes with the lid on.  Carefully remove the lid and tear off any excess parchment. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes with the lid off, until the crust is a very, very dark brown.  (I urge you to let the bread cook, uncovered, until the top of the bread nearly blackens and the sides reach a very, very, very dark brown.) Remove the loaf from the pot. Cool the loaf on a wire rack. The loaf will continue to cook as it cools, so try to wait an hour or so before cutting into it.

IMG_20200920_114658.jpg

IMG_20200919_090633.jpg

Edited by Green Blob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

BAGEL

Ingredient

Weight

starter

400 g

water

150 g

flour

550 g

oil

38 g

brown sugar

25 g

salt

15 g

Method

Mix, and do a couple of short kneads at 10 minute intervals.
Leave to rise for 3-4 hours.
Divide into 100g portions, preshape into balls.
Either poke a hole in the middle with your finger, and stretch the hole
or roll into long 'ropes', wind over your hand and seal the join by rubbing the ends of the rope together.
Retard in the fridge overnight (spray with oil, cover with plastic, put in a plastic bag)

The next day - bring a large pot to boil. Add a handful of brown sugar
Add as many bagels as will fit in a single layer (I can fit three)
Turn after 30 secs (cook for 1 min in total) - drain and put back on the tray
top with your choice of topping
Bake in the oven at ~200C for ~20 mins

IMG_20200426_092334.jpg

IMG_20200426_095316.jpg

IMG_20200426_111552.jpg

Edited by Green Blob
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

I make pizzas with it most nights.

Some thick, some thin.....

IMG_20200924_194722.thumb.jpg.74053dafa16811660348698310d8796a.jpg

All very enterprising @Green Blob  how do get time to make beer 🤔 Seriously well done, I make Bread, Pizza Bases, Rolls etc but haven't ventured down the Sourdough track.

It is a superior tasting bread & very versatile. Cheers.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

haven't ventured down the Sourdough track.

Do it....

It's a great place for the flour left over from milling grain @Graubart - it's the malt flour they put in commercial bread. Crushed grain is good too for an addition.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

Do it....

It's a great place for the flour left over from milling grain @Graubart - it's the malt flour they put in commercial bread. Crushed grain is good too for an addition.

Yeah I should give it a go, the recipes you posted are a great start, If you can make beer, you can make bread !!

• Like 3

Not my recipes though.
The pizza dough is really simple.

3 tablespoons starter (replace with flour and water and return to the fridge)

Add up to 1 litre warm water. As some grains/ crushed/ grain flour if you want.

Mix with a spoon, let rest. Periodically add more flour and stir and three tablespoons of salt - over say 1/2 hour. 

Eventually get around to kneading it.

Cover, leave in a warm place for same day or fridge for tomorrow.

• Like 3

I have got a mate who is a really good cook - photo of him below - might get him to give me a hand... Something strange happened!?!  I invited him over for lunch and when we were done he had disappeared before I could ask him to help!?! 🗯️

image.thumb.png.523d05de7f686596e2f23c0e70ce8d80.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Woohoo got a sourdough starter off a kind country town baker on my travels that sells a few loaves a day (most of the punters buy the white sliced)... so have split the 'starter' and got a loaf underway.

@Green Blob Blobski one then pretty much does the normal routine re my standard no-knead type approach from then on?  ... was going to leave ferment at around 17-18 deg C overnight and then do a second rise as per normal?

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
7 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah sorry, should have read it properly, you can't beat home made bread. I do make it but The Grey Bearded One AKA the Graubster is the bread king 👑  😁

No - sorry, mate. I should have written it more clearly.

First one is a sourdough - after I saved the starter.

Second one is some of the damper I made at a different time.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah sorry, should have read it properly, you can't beat home made bread. I do make it but The Grey Bearded One AKA the Graubster is the bread king 👑  😁

No - sorry, mate. I should have written it more clearly.

First one is a sourdough - after I saved the starter.

Second one is some of the damper I made at a different time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

the bread king 👑  😁

Haha I am a mere beginner... the great Green Blob in the Sky @Green Blob is the master of the Sourdough...

I am a chronic user of yeast... which makes larvely bread haha... but am yet to graduate to a real Sourdougher ; )

But do not do a bad Rye fella w seeds of various ilk ; )

image.thumb.png.bf3907fceb1331e73d61aadcc97281af.png

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 5:44 PM, Graubart said:

Haha I am a mere beginner... the great Green Blob in the Sky @Green Blob is the master of the Sourdough...

I am a chronic user of yeast... which makes larvely bread haha... but am yet to graduate to a real Sourdougher ; )

But do not do a bad Rye fella w seeds of various ilk ; )

image.thumb.png.bf3907fceb1331e73d61aadcc97281af.png

That looks a cracker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been on the sourdough for the past year and a half.

My starter took me about 12 days to get going, in the mean time I bought some powdered starters from the US because my own wasn't working. By the time they were delivered my own came on nicely so now I have three on the go.

If you keep them in the fridge you only need to feed them once a week / every 10 days.

This website is a good one for a straightforward loaf:

https://littlespoonfarm.com/sourdough-bread-recipe-beginners-guide/

A couple of tweaks I've found useful: after you put the dough in the banneton, it's worth sticking it in the fridge for 3 - 10 hours rather than the hour the lady suggests - you get a nice sour taste off it. Also if your timing is a bit off in not being available after the first rise (as in the 8 to 10 hours are up in the middle of the night), you can stick it in the fridge to stop or slow down the rise. Then you can take it out and calculate your 8 hours rise to it fits your schedule. If you leave it too long for the first rise your loaf might over proof . And to check if your starter is active enough, it should float in a bowl of water.

my starter.jpg

bought starters.jpg

overflow.jpg

floater.jpg

loaf.jpg

cut loaf 2.jpg

cut loaf.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

Looks good.

As a matter of interest what do you feed them.

I just feed them plain white flour - not bread flour, and not whole meal.

50g starter with 100g tap water (ideally some you put in a jug to settle out chlorine) which I stick in the microwave for 10 seconds). I mix that up and them mix in 100g plain white flour

• Like 2

Thought I would have a go at a sourdough starter the other day as I have been drooling over all those nice pics posted of pizza’s and bread and been meaning to try this for a while . 

I am doing It a bit different from recipe posts on here.  Used 30 g unbleached Macro organic Australian plain flour and 30 g Laucke stoneground rustic white flour and 60 ml of RO water on day one.

It’s only on day 3 so not much action yet.  These are the two flours I make my pizza bases out of so interested to try a sourdough base.

Question for the sourdough guru’s ( the disgruntled Yungaburra Yetti).  Do you tip off the hooch liquid before each feed or do you re-mix that back in before feeding?  I understand that mixing it back in makes for a more sour taste.

• Like 1